Thread: In memory of racers no longer with us:

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Bunker, Broc, Ron, Marlee, Chad I join the others that mourn the loss of Russ. I was only around him briefly, but he was one of those guys that has an impact that lasts forever. God bless the Hill family and may Russ rest in peace. I talked to Ron a couple of weeks ago about something else, but I asked about Russ, and he said there was not much time left. I told Ron that I wanted him to sign a picture I had taken of him at DePue in 2007, but I felt uncomfortable about asking about it now since things had gotten worse. Ron told me "Send me the picture, and I will get it signed. Russ likes the boat racing stuff, and he will sign it." Very regrettably I let the Thanksgiving holidays and business get in my way. It's not that I regret missing a chance to get Russ's autograph to go into my collection, but that I wanted his autograph for him to know that he was still in the middle of boat racing, and admired for his skills. I wanted Russ to leave us knowing that he was very highly thought of amongst boat racers. I suppose he knew that anyway.

Rest in Peace Russ.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So sorry to hear of your loss, we will keep the Hill family and Russ in our prayers

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ron, marlee, chad...sorry to hear......spent the last half hour looking at the "hill family thread" some great history...great times and wonderful merories......................john

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that wonderful photo, Ron.

Post Thanks / Like

Ron, Bunker, Chad and Marlee,
    Our sincere condolences to you and your families. Dad and I enjoyed visiting with Russ on many occasions when we started coming back to the races. You will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Rest in Peace Russ....

Steve, Lane and Family

Post Thanks / Like

Default Russ Hill, Jr's Service 1/5/2014 at 2:00

Just letting everyone know, Funeral services for Russ Hill will be held on Sunday, January 5, at 2 pm at, 3821 Warner Avenue, Huntington Beach, California 92649, the Huntington Harbor Yacht Club. 714-724-1226. It's open for anyone to attend.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 12-23-2013 at 09:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about your brother Ron. I never met Rus but enjoyed his post on this site. He had a certain flair coupled with intelegence. I think it must run in the Hill family.

DB
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it must Dabull. They could not have gone this many decades at the forefront of racing without that flair coupled with intelligence. Joe Rome and I often speak about the fact that stopping of to visit with Marshall Grant on the way to the 2007 DePue Reunion and meeting Russ Hill were both were the price of admission even if nothing else happened. I had the pleasure of being there when Russ Hill and Joe Rome met one another. We all had pleasantries all around, then I had to wander the grounds with my camera while Russ and Joe manned their stations at the VFW Hall in DePue sitting in folding chairs, with arms, cokes and stuff resting on a folding table and telling people how to register for the reunion.

As I circulated back to the VFW Hall the first time, Russ and Joe were like long lost friends. I stayed a little while to check on what I needed to do, then headed out again. Next time Russ and Joe were trading barbs at one another like friends of twenty years could get away with. I kind of joined in a little bit then and got a good taste of the Russ Hill wisdom, wit, and intelligence.

Joe and I talked on the way back from DePue, and one of our main subjects was meeting Russ Hill. We were very glad to see so many of our old friends and return to the town of DePue after so many years, but Russ was something new and we both agreed that it was a shame that Russ Hill and Baldy Baldwin had never met and shared time together. Joe and I would have just sat back and listened.

Yes I agree that the Hill Family has that flair and the boat racing community would not be the same without them.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stan Fitts

Stan Fitts
    (Died February 18, 2014)

Stan Fitts, 74, of Framingham, died, Tuesday, February 18, 2014 at the Metrowest Medical Center, Natick after a short illness. Born in Brookline, he was the son of the late Harvey A. and Frances (Ockerman) Fitts.
    Mr. Fitts served in the U.S. Army during the Vietnam War.
    He was a graduate of University of New Hampshire.
    He was the retired President of Clark-Wilcox Co. in Boston and the President of CW Equipment Co. in Framingham. He was a member of the Plymouth Church as well as the Lake Sunapee Yacht Club in Sunapee, NH.
    Stan belonged to the American Power Boat Assoc. and served this organization for over 40 years. First as Region Chairman, and then as two term President and later as an active member of the Council. He was the Chairman of the Edgell Grove Cemetery in Framingham and former member of the Cushing Chapel committee during its rehab of Cushing park. Stan was active in SnoCross snowmobile racing as well as Offshore Powerboat racing. Serving the later in an official capacity for many years.
    He is survived by his brother, Stephen Fitts and his wife Linda of Framingham; his nephew Duncan Fitts and his wife Cheryl, his niece Shelby Gordon and her husband Kevin and 5 great-nephews, Reis, Cole and Cooper Gordon, Tyler and Nolan Fitts.
    Relatives and friends are invited to attend his visiting hours at the Norton Funeral Home, 53 Beech St., (corner of Union Ave.) Framingham on Friday February 21, 2014 from 5 – 8 PM.
    His funeral service will take place on Saturday at 10 am at the Edgell Memorial Chapel in Edgell Grove Cemetery.
    In lieu of flowers, expressions of sympathy in Mr. Fitts’ memory may be made to Sunapee Historical Society, P.O. Box 508, Sunapee, NH 03782 or to South Shore Outboard, c/o Giles, 626 School St., N. Dighton, MA 02764

Post Thanks / Like

Default Art Carlson Services August 16, 2014 in Garden Grove, California

Hi Ron:

Didn't know if you had heard that Art Carlson passed away last Monday evening. Got a call from Bob earlier today, services will be held on Saturday, August 16 at 2pm in Garden Grove at the Village Bible Church. I guess Art had not been in good health for several months -- great guy, sorry to see him go.

Bob Brown

Thread Information