Thread: In memory of racers no longer with us:

Post Thanks / Like

Default Walter Huhn

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...=4773#post4773

Walter Huhn raced CU and DU for many years. I think his best finish in a Nationals was Guntersvile, Alabama 1962 in DU. I think he was third. He always raced DeSilva Boats. He raced D Racing Runabout for many years also. After he retired from boat racing he build model airplane engines. He was always a very good machinist and a very fair and honest competitor.

I remember he and I trading paint several times. His DeSilva just couldn't turn with my Morehouse. We'd go into a turn side by side and he'd just slide into me. He'd apologize. Then, get DeSilvas to repair it and do it again next month. We raced January to June at Salton Sea and I know we came together at least twice ne winter. It never seemed to hurt my glass covered plywood boat.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Butch Leavendusky

Bill Van, those were great remembrances of Butch, and thanks for leading me to this thread. I had missed it and wasn’t aware Butch passed away. You guys were really close, and I know you miss him. I’ll add a couple pictures, one of Stan and Butch in a newspaper clipping from the infamous Ding-Dong Daddy Festival down in Dumas, Arkansas, where, in Arky talk, “They done real good.”

God's speed, Butch!

img024.jpg
    News, 9.jpg

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

For those of you who don't know Ziggy Bottle past away last night. May he rest in Pease. 2/4/15
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 10-18-2023 at 03:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ziggy Boettle: UIM and APBA Official

http://www.f1h2o.com/news/articles.php?idnews=581

Ziggy and I had a few encounters. The first was at Morgan City, Louisiana. I had flown in Friday night, and drove to Morgan City from New Orleans in a rent car that had no brakes. Saturday morning I told the OMC Crew my rent car was going to be "Switched out" and I needed a ride to the pits. OMC's truck was full fo crew, so they said Ziggy would come back and get me.

As we rode to the pits, Ziggy asked me WHY I drove for OMC or why did OMC have me on the "TEAM"? I felt he was asking me to tell him what a great driver I was and how many championships I had won, but instead, I just said, "Ann Strang likes me." Charlie Strang was chairman of the board of OMC and OMC made Johnson and Evinrude motors. Ziggy just looked at me and said, "OH."

That was about 1973.

My next encounter was at Augusta, Georgia, 1998. I was PROP TOUR's F1 Motor Inspector and Ziggy was the 45 motor inspector. So, 25 years had gone by since Morgan City, we'd seen each other at APBA meetings and I think I had him on my Commission when I was OPC Vice President of APBA.

But in Augusta,we are both working as officials. F1 officials got golf carts, 45 officials walked. I told Ziggy, my golf cart is your golf cart. He wasn't secure with this so, he asked me to drive him down to he 45 weigh in area. Well, the golf cart had a GOVERNOR and I had hooked up a throttle wire to over ride the governor...Ziggy and me are riding along at about ten miles and hour and there is this berm to go over a river in let. (I had been over it several times but Ziggy had never seen it.) Just as we get to the berm, I pull the throttle wire wide open and we do a "Wheelie" going up this berm. I seriously thought Ziggy was going to crap his pants as we went over the berm on back two wheels.

About six weeks later we are racing in St Louis, I ask Ziggy to check the fuel for me. First guy to finish, Ziggy says his fuel failed. So, toss his *** out. Next guy, his fuel fails.. So, toss his *** out...Third guy comes n, fuel fails....I go, "ZIGGY have you got the meter right?" He says, "NO."

I enjoyed my times with Ziggy, he loved my friend Jimmy Hauenstein. Any friend of "Gentleman Jim" was always a friend of mine.

Rest in peace, Ziggy. You were a good man.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 02-04-2015 at 10:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Ron about Ziggy:

Ron, ask Fred H. about Ziggy's Halloween parties. At one of them we rolled his farm tractor on the railroad embankment.

Ziggy waS TRULY ONE OF A KIND.

Bruce

Burgess/Evinrude F1 V8 Lars Strom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Celebration of Life for Siegfried "Ziggy" Boettle
    Gurnee Park District Dance Hall
    4374 Old Grand Avenue, Gurnee, IL 60031
    Saturday February 7, 2015 from 3:00 to 7:00 PM

Memorials in his name may be sent to:
    Gurnee Fire Department
    4580 Old Grand Avenue, Gurnee, IL 60031
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

My racing web site SVERA.se....http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ziggy Boettle Obituary

Date of Birth:

Monday, February 10th, 1936

Date of Death:

Wednesday, February 4th, 2015

Funeral Home:

Warren Cemetery
    www.warrencemetery.com

1495 N. Cemetery Road

Gurnee, Illinois, UNITED STATES

Obituary:

Siegfried “Ziggy” Reinhold Boettle age 78 Passed away on February 3, 2015 surrounded by his family. Born February 10, 1936 he enjoyed a full and fun life. Born in Waukegan he was the only child of Reinhold and Ottilie Boettle who immigrated to the United States from Germany and made Waukegan their home. Ziggy married his high school sweetheart Janet (Jan) Lippert, on June 22, 1957 they had 57 years of love and adventure. Somehow they found time to raise three children, Valerie (Doug) Ceckowski, Siegfried II (a.k.a. Troy) and Deidre (Dan) Horan. Ziggy enjoyed spending time with and teasing his grandchildren Lauren, Drew and Rachael Ceckowski, and Evan, Kyle and Abbey Horan. He was the great fixer of all things. Working at Outboard Marine Corporation for 35 years he enjoyed his time with his friends in the engineering department and the race group. In retirement he became the face of safety for Formula One boat racing as the cockpit safety monitor with the UIM (international boat racing organization) ....his boat racing adventures led him to travel the world and make friends everywhere he went. Yet he always remembered to bring his wife, kids and grandkids a little gift from his latest far away travel location......Ziggy was not a man of many words but he was a man who loved his family and friends and they all loved him back! He will be missed by all of us. Please join his family and celebrate his very good life: Saturday February 7th, 3 - 7pm, at the Gurnee Park District Dance Hall, 4374 Old Grand Ave., Gurnee. Memorials in his name may be sent to the Gurnee Fire Department, 4580 Old Grand Ave., Gurnee, 60031

U.K. J 250 - Euro JT250 Techteam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ziggy was a true gentlemen. Firm but fair in UIM F1 scrutineering especially when the budget was tight. RIP.

Post Thanks / Like

Ziggy, what do you say about the guy, the thing is you can say everything about him, and it's all good. I was lucky enough to work with him and be his buddy. One of the great things about him there was no BS, you were either Bud's today, or your were in the doghouse. The problem was you never knew when he was screwing with you or he was serious.

We all know a lot of great people in this boat racing world we live in. Many well known people throughout different venues.

What makes Ziggy stand out is the fact that I don't care what venue you're at, what country, what continent. If you mention his name in the pits, every person there knows who you're talking about, and he has touched them all in some way.

Ziggy is, and always will be an Icon in this sport, his contributions are endless, he will be missed by all.

Burgess/Evinrude F1 V8 Lars Strom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

SIEGFRIED “ZIGGY” BOETTLE

Many good memories from way back in the early seventies when I got help at the European boat races from Ziggy.
    I gave him a par of Swedish wooden clogs with the Evinrude logo.
    Ziggy loved those clogs but had a small problem walking fast in the Swedish shoes.

Thanks for all the help Ziggy and R.I.P. my friend.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

My racing web site SVERA.se....http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/
    Likes PROE-22 liked this post

Thread Information