Thread: In memory of racers no longer with us:

Post Thanks / Like

Default DAH Propellers: Donald A. Henrich

For Obituary and details google: Donald A Henrich Portage, WI
    Don died March 15th @88. He had lung cancer and had been under treatment for almost three years.
    Although Don would describe himself as a "blacksmith" he was known for designing a new generation of propellers for Outboard Marine. This talented man was a major contributor to the success of Johnson and Evinrude outboards on race circuits around the world.
    One year at the Parker Enduro his propeller design didn't work. The day before the race each propeller was heated cherry red with a torch and the blades bent to Don's satisfaction. None of the propellers failed in six hours of competition.
    Services will be held Monday March 21, 2016 at Bethlehem Lutheran Church, W8267 Hwy 33 East, Portage WI. Visitation will be from 10am to 12, with services to follow.

ADD:

Ron Hill Don was a pretty good old boy. I spent a lot of time in Europe with him and his wife, Judy, back in the late '60's and '70's. Johnny Woods from St. Louis, was Don's stock broker in the old days. When Johnny took Radio Shack public, Don got in on the ground floor of the stock. It wasn't long after that he quit work at OMC. Johnny made tons of money on the deal, he bought a Ferrari with some of the money. I never saw it, but Don told me the license plate said, "TANDY". I had just won the D Runabout Nationals in Beloit, and on Monday stopped at OMC to pick up my twin engine Jones. Don and I got to talking, I said measure my two best props would you. So, he measured one and said, "It was an 11, nice prop he said." (A Grandpa Seebold). Then, I gave him the second prop, he said, "Wow this thing really screwed up, one blade is 13 and the other is an 11, want me to fix if for you?" I said, "Don't touch it unless you want to die, as I won the Nationals with that prop yesterday....." Old Man Hill prop. I saw Don at Havasu Landing 9 years ago, we had a great talk, his hip was bothering him and he took the ferry back to Havasu City. Rest in peace, my friend. Condolences to the rest of the Henrich family.

Donald Albert Henrich, 88, of Portage, passed away peacefully Tuesday, March 15, 2016, at his home in Saddle Ridge.

Donald was born Jan. 24, 1928, in West Allis. He married Judy Ellen Richmond on Dec. 9, 1961, in Eagle River.

Don was a former owner of Propellers by DAH, and retired as an engineer from Outboard Marine Corp. He received a World War II Victory Medal while serving his country in the U.S. Navy. He was an ardent outdoorsman, an avid hunter and fisherman, as well as a gold prospector. Don was a Mason, as well as a member of the American Legion and Elks Club.

He is survived by his wife of 54 years, Judy; his children, Wendy (Jim) King of Winfield, Illinois, Dana (Tim) O’Neill of the Township of Erin, Jerry (Linda) Okonek of Spooner; his grandchildren, Kelsey, Dan and Kori King, Brendan, Danielle and Kellen O’Neill, and Dan (Allison), Heather and Kyle Okonek; one great-granddaughter, Whitney Okonek; and very special friends, Heather and Jason Stenberg.

Memorial services will be held at noon Monday at Bethlehem Lutheran Church, W8267 Highway 33 East, Portage, with the Rev. Julie Krahn officiating. Military honors will follow. Inurnment will be private. Visitation will be from 10 a.m. to noon Monday at the church.

In lieu of flowers, memorials may be given to Badger Honor Flight Inc., P. O. Box 258066 , Madison, WI 53725 or online at www.badgerhonorflight.org; Hope Lodge, 611 W. Doege, Marshfield, Wisconsin, 54449; or to Bethlehem Lutheran Church.

Pflanz Mantey Mendrala Funeral Home (www.pmmfh.com) in Portage is assisting the family.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 06-26-2017 at 05:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Don and Judy's adopted son Bruce.

The year was 1966 or 67. I was in the OMC race group and I was in Miami helping set up the boats for the Miami to Nausau race. I had a ck for expenses and didn't get it cashed before I got to Miami. I couldn't get the ck cashed so Don and Judy were at the same hotel. What they did was pay for my meals, pay for my room, pay for my transportation and anything else I needed. After that it was-What do you need now SON. Judy started calling me SON to so I started calling them MOM and DAD.

Don and Judy only lived a couple miles from us when they lived in Lake Villa so it was handy when I needed a prop for my F rigs.

Rest in peace Don, Il'll catch you later.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you Judy and the Family.

Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

Default Phil Stock, Orange High Principal, Engine Builder

I just heard Phil Stock passed, his funeral in Monday at 1:15 on Chapman in Orange. After the funeral I will post more.

He was always a great guy, for years anytime I was near his shop, if he was there I'd stop and BS of 30-40 minutes. He seemed to like my company as much as I liked his. He frequently committed on my internet posting or my APBA articles.

His first wife, Nancy Brooks, mother of Mike Stocks and Megan Stocks, was my boss at Rancho Santiago College for 18 years.
    Likes pezzgato liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    For Obituary and details google: Donald A Henrich Portage WI
    Don died March 15th @88. He had lung cancer and had been under treatment for almost three years.
    Although Don would describe himself as a "blacksmith" he was known for designing a new generation of propellers for Outboard Marine. This talented man was a major contributor to the success of Johnson and Evinrude outboards on race circuits around the world.
    One year at the Parker Enduro his propeller design didn't work. The day before the race each propeller was heated cherry red with a torch and the blades bent to Don's satisfaction. None of the propellers failed in six hours of competition.
    Services will be held Monday March 21, 2016 at Bethlehem Lutheran Church, W8267 Hwy 33 East, Portage WI. Visitation will be from 10am to 12, with services to follow.

ADD:

Ron Hill Don was a pretty good old boy. I spent a lot of time in Europe with him and his wife, Judy, back in the late '60's and '70's. Johnny Woods from St. Louis, was Don's stock broker in the old days. When Johnny took Radio Shack public, Don got in on the ground floor of the stock. It wasn't long after that he quit work at OMC. Johnny made tons of money on the deal, he bought a Ferrari with some of the money. I never saw it, but Don told me the license plate said, "TANDY". I had just won the D Runabout Nationals in Beloit, and on Monday stopped at OMC to pick up my twin engine Jones. Don and I got to talking, I said measure my two best props would you. So, he measured one and said, "It was an 11, nice prop he said." (A Grandpa Seebold). Then, I gave him the second prop, he said, "Wow this thing really screwed up, one blade is 13 and the other is an 11, want me to fix if for you?" I said, "Don't touch it unless you want to die, as I won the Nationals with that prop yesterday....." Old Man Hill prop. I saw Don at Havasu Landing 9 years ago, we had a great talk, his hip was bothering him and he took the ferry back to Havasu City. Rest in peace, my friend. Condolences to the rest of the Henrich family.

Donald Albert Henrich, 88, of Portage, passed away peacefully Tuesday, March 15, 2016, at his home in Saddle Ridge.

Donald was born Jan. 24, 1928, in West Allis. He married Judy Ellen Richmond on Dec. 9, 1961, in Eagle River.

Don was a former owner of Propellers by DAH, and retired as an engineer from Outboard Marine Corp. He received a World War II Victory Medal while serving his country in the U.S. Navy. He was an ardent outdoorsman, an avid hunter and fisherman, as well as a gold prospector. Don was a Mason, as well as a member of the American Legion and Elks Club.

He is survived by his wife of 54 years, Judy; his children, Wendy (Jim) King of Winfield, Illinois, Dana (Tim) O’Neill of the Township of Erin, Jerry (Linda) Okonek of Spooner; his grandchildren, Kelsey, Dan and Kori King, Brendan, Danielle and Kellen O’Neill, and Dan (Allison), Heather and Kyle Okonek; one great-granddaughter, Whitney Okonek; and very special friends, Heather and Jason Stenberg.

Memorial services will be held at noon Monday at Bethlehem Lutheran Church, W8267 Highway 33 East, Portage, with the Rev. Julie Krahn officiating. Military honors will follow. Inurnment will be private. Visitation will be from 10 a.m. to noon Monday at the church.

In lieu of flowers, memorials may be given to Badger Honor Flight Inc., P. O. Box 258066 , Madison, WI 53725 or online at www.badgerhonorflight.org; Hope Lodge, 611 W. Doege, Marshfield, Wisconsin, 54449; or to Bethlehem Lutheran Church.

Pflanz Mantey Mendrala Funeral Home (www.pmmfh.com) in Portage is assisting the family.
    I can remember Don being at the Paris 6hr races on more than one occasion in the late 70s.The first Prop I ran of his was on a brand new V4 Johnson Stinger we tested the outfit and found it would hardly plane so we asked questions and was told we had to file the back leading edge but to do this a small amount at a time till we had the required RPM.The next 2 props I had on order in 1977 took 18 months before they arrived because Don always had a waiting list in those days.I still have one of those props today I kept it as a momento.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

"Butch" Butch Kennedy.JPGwas a great guy!
    Do think he and his father qualifies to be in the APBA "Honor Squadron".

Thank You in advance for your comment,
    Bill Merriman
    Likes lonannis liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Robert John "Pete" McConnell

Robert John "Pete" McConnell, Jr., Jimbo's brother, passed away early this morning after a long illness. He was a PROUD Mustang and a member of the Class of 1958 and my favorite Brother-In-Law. Services are pending. Quote from Cathy McConnell. 8/02/16

Last edited by Ron Hill; 10-18-2023 at 03:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dave Bryan, Dry Waller C-D Runabout Racer, Dead at 83

I wrote an article for the APBA Propeller Magazine about Dave. After it is published I'll post it here.

I will say, Dave and I were friends since about 1960. He always said he raced me for 18 years and never beat me. I sold him three C motors in 1978. He went on to win the nationals, set some records and maybe be high point with those motors.

Since he retired from the dry wall business , about 12 years ago, he and I have "HAD ADVENTURES" about once a month.

& weeks ago we went to look at a boat he figured we could use at Needles.

His cancer spread fast, he passed on October 27, 2016. He was 83 years old.

Oh, that is Dave in the middle, 94-C, me in 1-U.S. and Carl Meyers in the blue Morehouse. San Diego Flood Control Channel, 1964.

Subject: Dave Bryan

My long time friend Dave Bryan passed, he had stage 4 lung cancer

I'm not sure when I first met Dave Bryan. He lived in Realto and hung dry wall. He seems to "Hang" with that San Bernardino group.

In the fall of 1970 I bought a guy out of racing, nice trailer, two Hill Boats, a new Dawe C Hydro and a couple of C Mark 30-H's.

Jimbo McConnell and I put on a racing at Rainbo Beach, Needles, California February `4-15 or there abouts, in 1971. I was teaching at the time and it was a three day weekend, President's day or something. Colder than hell, but we partied pretty well and got up to Vegas Friday night.

Saturday morning I set the two Hill Boats up for C Runabout and offered several people a free ride. Johnny Craven, who had actually won the Colorado River Marathon in 1953, in D Runabout. just happened to be at the river, he said "He'd drive my boat."

We always seemed to have accidents at Needles and this race was no different. Danny Loper turned his A Runabout over and cut his arm pretty good. In C Runabout Dave Bryan spun out but head up river, and sheared a pin. Craven came around the corner, there actually 12 C Runabouts, not that far behind Dave but caught his roller from where he'd spun out and he "T Boned" Dave. Dave was sitter with his back to the bow, when Johnny hit him, he him him in the chest and knocked out of the boat.

I watched the whole thing and didn't look bad at all. My boat wasn't damaged and either was Dave's. The haul Dave to the ambulance and took to the hospital.

At the hospital, Doctor Hartenstein had just got there to sew up Danny Loper's arm. Dr. Hartenstein looked at Dave and said we have to operate on you right now. Dave said, "Let's wait 15 minutes." Doc Hartenstein said, "You'll be dead in 15 minutes."

As it turn out, Dave spleen was ruptured and had Doc Hartenstein not come right off the gold course to fix Danny, Dave would have been.

The next week, I donated blood to Dave because I didn't think he had much much being a dry waller.

Even thought, everyone in the club knew that Dave needed blood, I was the only member to donate blood to him.

We started to be friends after that. Dave always said, "His accident caused him to quit being a dry waller and be a contractor." Over the next several years Dave build many homes and several very nice boats.

When his Grandson was born, he build four rocking horses, one his Grandson, Jason, one for my daughter, Jessica, one for Steven Dawe and one for Dick Davidson's daughter. They were beautifully painted, pieces of wooden art.

In 1977, when we put on the Stock Nationals at Bakersfield my dad and Dave built the judges stand, because APBA required a 1,500 foot run to the first turn and our regular stand was only 1,000 feet.

In 1978, I decide to quit Stock Outboard Racing. I was racing MOD VP, I had a great job taching school, two small children and a propeller business.

In February, 1979, we raced at Puddingstone on Saturday only, with Jim Wilkes and COBRA. That night we had the club awards banquet at the In at the Park next to Disneyland. My wife put the function on, O came home with my three Stock outboards, my niece and nephew's boat and my MOD VP. It was dark and cold when I got home. I showered and left for the party.

When I got there I walked up to the bar between Jimmy Dawe and Dave Bryan. I said, "Jimmy, you want to buy a couple of D motors??? $2,200 for two D Motors, two boat, two props and a trailer. He said, "Sure." Dave turned to me and said, "I've raced against you for 18 years and never beat you. Do you want to sell you C's?" I said all three 30-H's for a GRAND. Dave reached in his pocket and gave me a grand, and said, "I'll come buy and get them in the morning."

So, in 5 minutes I was out of Stock Outboard Racing paid for my MOD VP boat at the same time.

That summer Dave bought my trailer from Jimmy Dawe and went back to Wisconsin and raced all summer. He may have ended up high points, at every race he told everyone Ron Hill sponsored him and he had the trailer to prove with about 50 of my props hanging in the trailer. He and his wife Judy may have done that for two summers.

Dave ended up winning the C Runabout Nationals in Oroville, 1982 and breaking some records. He decide to retire after the 1982 season.

After that Dave moved to Las Vegas and started doing dry wall with his Grandson. 14 years ago, I called Dave and invited him to Thanksgiving dinner at my daughter's river house in Needles (Vegas is 90 miles away) He and his wife stayed in their motorhome.

Dave told me if I get to Vegas give him a call. The next spring, I decide to go see Bill Boyes, Sr. in St George, Utah about putting on a boat race. I met Dave at the Vegas Bass Pro Shop. I told him my daughter and her husband had just bout a lot across from Needles for $150,000 and they planned to build a house on it for $150,000, then sell it for $500,000.

Dave said, "Wow! I did $22 million in dry wall last year, but when a school teacher and a car salesman think they can make $200,000 on one house, it is time to close my business."

Dave and his wife closed the business and bought a motorhome and traveled the country for about a year.

They build a summer home in Washington and winter home in Carlsbad, California. Dave just got in the habit of coming up and visiting me, we started having "Adventures". He sold his house in Washington, and I bought his motorhome.

Dave went to the Parker Enduro with us, and he admitted, he could see why I had so much fun with that race. We went to Whitney Point, NY to the Stock Nationals.

He bought a Mark 30-H from Fred Hauenstein and restored it like new, then gave it to me to put in our corporate offices.

Our "Adventures" weren't anything really crazy. We took a boat to Minden for Greg Jacobsen, that Fred Bowden sold him. We went to Las Vegas and picked up a lawn mower I sold to a guy in Australia. We went to Billy B's Boat Show in Needles, with John Schubert from Illinois. We'd meet in San Diego and eat fish at the wharf.

Dave and I headed up to Mickey and Vickey's Apple Valley Marine, taking our 25 foot Maximum boat and I ran out of gas, we coasted into a gas station, I realized I didn't have my wallet. Dave filled my tank.

About ten years ago, Dave and I ran into Gary and Jason Williams at a boat race. They were considering getting back into boat racing. Dave said to Gary, "Gary, I quit boat racing after I set the records and won the Nationals." 20 years later, I came to the races to see Ronnie, I looked out at the lake and cried. I wondered why I ever quit, all my friends were here." Jason started racing right after that, I talked to Gary today. They have been back in boat racing for ten years with no plans to quit.

Five years ago, this November we had a chance to buy our building. We were $75,000 short on the down payment. Dave loaned us the money, and was actually mad we repaid him so fast.

In 1965, when Ernie Dawe bought the house he still lives in, Dave came over and added a two car garage to Ernie's garage and dry walled it.

Ernie and I visited with Dave on Saturday, 10/22/16. He is under hospice care, but he very much enjoy our visit.

Dave and his wife Judy had been married for 64 years.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 01-02-2017 at 04:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lane Curry, 36 Racer, Pass 12/11/2016

Ron/Chad,
    I wanted to let you know that my dad passed away yesterday morning from complications associated with Parkinson’s/Dementia. While he limited his boat racing primarily to the 36 class, his love of boat racing and those involved with the sport was undeniable. From stocks to unlimiteds and everything in between, he was a genuine fan of the sport (especially if there was an outboard involved). Reconnecting with you both back in 2005 or so and then meeting you both at various races through the years was a real treat for my dad and myself. I can remember my dad always asking me when the next boat race was, much like I did when I was a kid and he was racing. Thanks to you both for letting us be a part of the experience instead of just watching it and I hope that our paths will cross again soon.

Sincerely, Steve

Lane was a hard worker for boat racing most of his life. He was finance Chairman in 1962, when we started the Southern California Outboard Association. He raced 36 for years. He was always close to the Dan Schwarzenbach family. He also worked helping put on the Unlimited Hydros in San Diego for many years.

For the past few years we have enjoyed Steve and Lane's friendship at the races. Lane was always playing with his RC sailboat. I'm sure he'll be missed by many, besides the Hills.
    Thanks Steven Curry thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Frank Banducci 1/1/2017: Rest in Peace

One Hell of A Nice Guy! Rest in Peace, Frank Banducci

I sold lots of stuff to Frank over the years. I helped him with Sport C props, I fixed his last "BEST ONE" for free about a year ago. He thought it was ruined. I fixed it and he gained a mile an hour. He wrote some great articles for the APBA Propeller Magazine over the years.

A few years back, he bought the Gran Prix 45 SS that had been Bill Rucker's and my son Broc had been driving. I made a deal for the boat and trailer.

I met Frank, his son or grandson and Gloria at a Mexican restaurant, in Kingsburg, where I've met up with Fred Hauenstein on several occasions. Great Chinese food at this Mexican restaurant.

Anyway, I brought the Gran Prix up on top of an old style craft that was on the trailer. I just stacked the Gran Prix on top. I told, "Frank buy one, get one free." We had a great lunch and a great laugh. And the tail lights went down the road.

About 11 years ago, I was up at Salt Springs loaning props to Sport C racers, I asked Frank, "How come all you Sport C guys use a cement block for an emergency brake?" He said, "Well most us us don't have too much money." I pretty much gave away a few props that weekend and thought, as I drove home, in my new truck, how lucky I was.

I will take credit for getting the Isleton races off the ground. The Sport C "CLUB" wanted to put on a race in Isleton, but they didn't want to run all the classes. Bill Boyes, Region 11 Chairman, liking to keep his Region strong, pretty much told these Sport C guys they had to run all the classes. After we had and lunch with Bill and Kay Boyes and Bill and Kay had headed home. I bought dessert! I told the Sport C guys and gals, you can run a race with one class. I said, "Bill Boyes and I have been friends since 1955, but you guys can run your race with one class, Bill is the Region Chairman, he doesn't tell you how to run your race." They ran Sport C, 45 SS and Cracker Boxes, and COR...Bill was kind of mad at me. But, as usual, we "made up".

Frank's grandson, the "Racing Raisin" was quite a racer, I just never remember his real name.

Rest in PEACE Frank, I will miss your friendship as will many others!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Phil Nichols passes 1/04/2017

ERIC NICHOLS WROTE: Take a deep breath Dad! Enjoy that Heaven air! I love you and am going to miss you so much! ❤️❤️❤️❤️

❤️

THE SON OF FUZZ NICHOLS AND BROTHER OF DAVE NICHOLS, HAS PASSED.

Dave was a great painter, painted my helmet in 1961-62. His painting led to lung trouble.

RIP in Peace my friend.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 01-05-2017 at 06:29 PM.

Thread Information