Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: In memory of racers no longer with us:

Post Thanks / Like

Default Steve Litzell

Diane Murray posted this today on the USTS Facebook page. It certainly has been a terrible start to 2018 Clyde Queen , Bill Van , and now this!! My most heartfelt condolences to Connie and the family. Rip

It is with a very heavy heart that I write this. Steve Litzell has passed away. Steve had just turned 66 on March 12th and was planning on cutting back his hours and/or retiring from Honey Baked Hams. Steve grew up in Sarasota, FL and he had one sister and three brothers. Steve married Connie shortly after meeting her at a party on Long Island-I believe they were married in Las Vegas at a drive through wedding chapel. Steve’s only son, Stephen, was recently married in November 2017.

Steve also had his Outboard Marine Service business, which is how most of us came in contact with him. Steve started boat racing when he was twelve in a B Stock Runabout and had connected with Bill Hosler to get him into boat racing as Steve worked for Bill in a marina. Steve later moved from Florida to Georgia to work with Ralph Donald at the car wash. Ralph was instrumental in introducing Steve to Dieter Koenig. Steve spent time with Dieter and learned the skills of his trade, which was a benefit to all that boat raced. Steve was an accomplished boat racer as well as a mechanic winning many racing awards both domestically and internationally.

Steve was a great friend and was also a pain in our “butts” as well, but we still loved him. There are never any words to say to ease the loss of this special man. Let’s all have a glass of Jack Daniels (make it a double) – on the rocks – for Steve. Also, let’s keep Connie and Stephen in our thoughts.

More details will be posted as they become available.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks ProHydroRacer, crewman060 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ed Thirlby, Marshall Eldredge, Jim Warren, Clyde Queen, Bill Van Steenwyk and now Steve Litzell. All good guys, and will be missed by all in the PRO family.

Post Thanks / Like

What a sad day. We have lost so many this,year. My condolences to Connie and the Litzel family. I always,enjoyed visiting with Steve. He used to fly out to CA to help us Pro guys work on our motors. Always enjoyed that. Still remember sharing our Tenn tea at times, (JD). And the time he used this gas powered mixer to nake mud slides. Bull Moose RIP!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, Steve was a piece of work! Let his memory stay with us all for sometime to come. He loved PRO racing, hell he loved all racing really. There will and should be endless stories. I remember the first time I met him at Camden, NC. Who is the hell is that guy ??? Little did I know that some of my best racing trips were going to be in the future with "that guy". Steve and I long hauled it to Omaha with the "Big Trailer" just full of racing boats and engines. This was during my sole foray into runabouts (similar to a racing boat, almost). In hind sight, Steve demonstrated great patience, as I burned piston, after piston by pulling the pipes forward to quickly (like you can in a hydro, you know, a racing boat). The bull**** abounded for what seemed o be 2,000 miles of diving and much racing. We had good results racing and an even better time just living.
    Thanks crewman060 thanked for this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am at a loss for words!

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I met Steve the first time at Lakeland, Florida for some UIM World Championship races. It was the morning after he got his rump buzz sawed at the judges stand when a boat ran up from behind. Joe Rome had been telling me for a few years about that "Masked Man" Steve Litzell. I couldn't believe it that next morning when Joe introduced me to Steve, and he was walking around. It was really like I had known him all along, and unfortunately for me I could have. Steve knew who I was having pitted and raced with Ralph along the way in the 70's. After I got to know him I asked him "How come I don't remember you from back then?" He told me he was shy!

After I got to know him, I find it hard to believe he used to be shy. Steve was one of the funniest, most gregarious guys I ever got to know. I'm sad that I didn't get to know him until after I quit racing, but I also told him that it was probably a good thing that I didn't know and hang out with him while I was racing. Ralph knew him for so many years, and also knew many of the guys from Steve's time in Germany. I don't know if Ralph would agree with my assessment, but to me Steve was America's answer to Hans George Krage. Full of life, full of laughter and stories, and full throttle to the end.

Thanks crewman060 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Steve

Perhaps my favorite memory of Steve. Only seconds before the firing of the three minute gun at this race at Constantine MI , Steve realized there were no numbers on Nick Noethe's freshly painted capsule boat. " Hey , anybody , throw me some tape , hurry" !!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wayne, One thing about Steve that was different is that Steve had opinions, and he expressed them freely, I could give you a testimonial. Hans was more diplomatic, but they were both full of good stories. Steve and I created some of them in our boat racing adventures. I'm at a loss, I can't comprehend not seeing or talking to him anymore. I need to know how he died, I hope we will know soon.
    Thanks Ron Hill, crewman060 thanked for this post
    Likes jrome, Master Oil Racing Team liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Beyond losing a friend, I am most saddened that I did not get to thank Steve for all he did for me. I was able to compete in numerous events, because he burned the midnight oil getting my engines ready. He knew that I always wanted to have a back up engine and would even make sure that I had the "second bullet" if necessary. He also understood that I preferred to finish as many heats as possible, rather than being the absolute fastest. So, he would set up my engines "middle of the road".

I am still saddened, but looking back on so many great times brings a big smile!

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

David are you still in Austin? Joe and I talked a couple of days ago about getting together with you for lunch or something in memory of Steve. The Bad Eyed Cat or something like that that had a runabout hanging on the wall.

Thread Information