Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: In memory of racers no longer with us:

Post Thanks / Like

Default Muscle Boats...

Ted Bravo came to Parker and drove my Red Sleek Craft....not sure what year...after that we were friends forever///He offerd me an HST, he had for free...Ted March went and looked at it..I was considering driving to NY to get it...

Rest in Peace, Ted...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Art Kennedy

In memory of Art Kennedy:
    Likes lonannis liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Art..

One of my favorate racers of all time. Great guy and one hell of a racer. When I was a kid we use to stay with him and his family at their house in St. Louis on race weekend. I remember how happy my dad was when Art won the 1986 F1 race in Pittsburg.
    THIBODAUX RACING... Timmy Thibodaux

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cesare Scotti

One hell of a driver and boat builder:

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hu Entrop

FAST, FAST, FAST and faster:

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ken Stevenson

One of the best:

Post Thanks / Like

Default Propeller Magzine November 1970 Cesare Scotti

Cesare had won Havasu....

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ray Nydahl

Eight years ago today, my dad, Ray Nydahl, lost his 17 year battle with emphysema. As he did throughout his life, he accepted the consequences of his actions with dignity and integrity.

Up until his death he remained a motor sport enthusiast, reading and watching anything he could find on boat and car racing. His favorite NASCAR driver was Dale, Sr. About 2-3 weeks before he died, his health took a sudden drastic turn for the worst. We all knew, including Dad, that the end was very near. A few days before he died, he told us he was going to “stick around” until Sunday so he could watch Earnhardt win at Talladega. Only half of that prediction came true. Dad died around 9AM and #3 won the race later that afternoon after a dry spell of more than a year.

When Dad started racing in the early ‘60’s, he started with the Midwest Powerboat club. I have memories of many from that club who are no longer with us.

Jack Dodge and his wife, Jeanne, were like uncle and aunt to us. I’m not sure if Jack ever raced but it seemed he was always at the races helping make things happen. Jack raised Dachsunds and occasionally had a litter. He had decided that “Nydahl needs a dog.” One weekend in the spring of ’75, Jack and Jeanne came for a weekend visit and brought Dad’s first puppy with them. He was immediately hooked! If I remember correctly, Jack died in the early ‘90’s. I haven’t heard anything about Jeanne in several years.

Fred Lonsdorf always had a huge smile for everyone. Ralph Stahl was always a soft-spoken gentleman. Dave Shaughnessy was a faithful and close friend. I remember Bob Smith pulling into a race site with a HUGE trailer piled high with boats that he towed with a Trans Am. I can still recall Don Tarnowski, the club announcer, saying over the PA, “The next class of the day is “D” as in dog hydro.”

I am looking forward to attending the reunion at Depue this year. A few weeks ago my husband asked me what I wanted to do for vacation this summer. My reply: “I don’t care what else we do as long as we make it to Depue!” Mom is looking forward to being there, also. Of course, Pete and his family will be there. As a kid, Depue was the highlight of my summer because it meant we would see people that we usually only had a chance to see once a year. Depue was one of our closest races, but it was so great to see people who came from places like California, Tennessee, Washington, Long Island, Florida, Texas, . . .

If Dad was still alive, I’m sure he would love BRF. He would be reading every post! A while back, my husband found me (yet again!!) checking out the action on BRF. His question to me was, “Are you missing your dad?” . . . Yes, I am.

Sandy (Nydahl) Plummer

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Missing You Ray

What a nice post about a very nice man and brilliant racer. Sandy, you hit it right on about looking forward to seeing people once a year at DePue. There was nobody I enjoyed seeing more than Ray. Racing Ray was a great driver, real electronics innovator and best of all great father and husband. I am laughing because he was so deadpan when he would tease you. I can still hear him ask me if I felt secure about my job pumping gas. We sure do remember him on this day. I'm going to put a bratwurst on a stick and roast it in honor of Ray.
    Sandy, we all miss him too.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Racing Ray

Sandy,
    What a wonderful tribute to your dad. To those of you who knew Ray you can imagine what it must have been like for a new engineer, just out of school, to work with Ray. At OMC, Ray had the isle bench right behind the tool crib and Bruce Summers was right behind him. I had just been assigned the new 135Hp V4 and Ray was going to be my technician. At that time, Ray knew more about outboard engineering than I though I could ever learn. One of the first things he taught me was that "fishing engines" were called "G.. D.. Gas Burners"; now if that wasn't enough to scare a young engineer, when Ray got a little upset he started talking to himself - out loud. At which point I would usually assume I did something dumb and go for a cup of coffee. You had to earn Ray's respect, titles meant nothing. If you wanted to lean he was an excellent teacher, if you were full of BS he would happily let you hang yourself.
    Over the years we became good friends and when I think back I too miss Ray. I always looked forward to seeing Ray at a race and loved the banter we had between Alky Burners and Gas Burners. As I am writing this I remember an Alky race where Ray was walking through the pits will a cold one in each of his pockets. As he passed someone he knew he would hand one out. One of the best Cold Ones I ever had!
    To all who are no longer with us, rest in peace - we miss you.

Thread Information