Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: In memory of racers no longer with us:

Tomtall

Default Bud Finkl

Recieved this information from Anne (Finkl) Donaldson. I would like to pass it on to Buds fellow boat racers. Gods speed Bud. You had a very full life.

BUD FINKL passed on in May. He enjoyed the information I told him about this web site. Bud
    was an avid boat builder who started building boats at 13, on the Fox River, IL. In Sarasota, FL, he later built luxury river boats called Packard. His 27' Packard Classic Heritage model was in the "Speed Movie", with Sandra Bullock. In 2001 his boat business was sold. Bud was a hydroplane racer in the
    40's,50's & 60's, he won dozens of Racing Titles. Bud had a full life and now is at peace.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bud Finkl

I grew up in and near Depue and remember Bud showing up with Pink and Black boats and was always animated in his actions and re-actions. He was always a competitor and won his share for sure.

I remember he and Homer Kincaid as arch rivals and watched Bud challenge Homer to a one on one race at Depue. I do not remember the results or even if it took place, but Bud was adamant that he would beat Homer one on one.

If you remember anything about Homer he was a winner. One weekend in Indiana he won all 12 classes run that weekend.

Ray

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ferv888ipba View Post
    I grew up in and near Depue and remember Bud showing up with Pink and Black boats and was always animated in his actions and re-actions. He was always a competitor and won his share for sure.

I remember he and Homer Kincaid as arch rivals and watched Bud challenge Homer to a one on one race at Depue. I do not remember the results or even if it took place, but Bud was adamant that he would beat Homer one on one.

If you remember anything about Homer he was a winner. One weekend in Indiana he won all 12 classes run that weekend.

Ray
    Wow, Joan Carter, Bud's oldest daughter lives in Sarasota FL., remembers Homer Kincaid to be a nice man. They raced konig B & C.

Joan said, Bud would always stop to say something to the guys that came by his burgundy & grey trailor. Not that many girls were interested to stop by but she loved the boat races and thought they were really neat. Bud raced in Mexico in the 40's, Lakeland, FL, and AZ. You pinned Bud well he was adamant about a lot of things and such a charactor. He was an older boat racer that came back after leaving.

Anne:
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We were at the NOA North South Championships in Knoxville in 1967 and someone had a laydown boat. It was the first I had ever seen. Someone later told me Bud had imported it from Europe. I knew of him, but never actually met him for some reason. RIP.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bud and Homer..........

These are two gentleman I always heard about because my Dad was friends with them from the old days. My first exposure to a laydown boat was, I think a C Schultze (?) that Bud had and really got with the program. Very fast and very unique. Every year when we arrived at DePue they were they first guys my Dad looked for. Enjoyable times together.
    Charley Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dave Christie

Dave died Aug 15, 2007:

Dave was Director of Engineering at Merc Racing until 2005 when he was forced into early retirement by Merc Racing.

RIP DAVE..........You are a good friend.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mr. John Augustine

The life of a great person concluded today, as Pop Augustine has passed away. The Augustine Family, the boat racing community and anyone whoever was fortunate to refer to Pop as his or her friend, has lost a great person in his/her life. I will always value my innumerable memories of Pop. His heart and generosity knew no bounds. I cannot imgagine a better father, friend, mentor or role model. I do not know of anyone who had a greater passion for boat racing.

Pop lived a full life without doubt. I hope that we all can share many wonderful memories.

Our thoughts are with one of the finest families in boat racing.

Thank you to David Weaver for this post......

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ross Gibson

Add Ross Gibson to the list of racers no longer with us. Karen Cadle e-mailed me to say her Grandpa Ross left this world to race at Lake Paradise Sunday morning at 10:00 AM. Rest in peace Ross!

Post Thanks / Like

Karen called this morning. She and her brother Mike are Ross's only living relatives.
    There will be no visitation or funeral. Ross is to be cremated and later when the weather is better, there will be a small memorial service at a secluded spot that Ross enjoyed.
    We will then take him for one last boat ride and scatter his ashes over this place he loved so much.
    Karen and Mike, the boat racing community extends it's sympathy and commends you on your selection of Grandpa's final resting spot.
    Condolences may be sent to:

Karen Cadle
    550 Post Road #1001
    Ridgeland, MI 39157

Or

Mr. & Mrs. Michael Cadle
    703 S. Madison
    Macomb, IL 61455

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kevin Ladd

Powerboat Racing Champion, Kevin Ladd was tragically killed late Friday Feb. 15th while riding recreation snowmobiles in Michigan’s upper-peninsula.

Kevin was leading a group of powerboat racing friends for the annual ride when Ladd’s sled struck a tree at a high rate of speed, Kevin suffered fatal injuries. Ladd has been described as “one of the best and most experienced snowmobiler’s around” stated a close friend. “He was good and he had the experience, so it was simply a tragic accident”.

Kevin had a stellar 2007 rookie season in Champ2, where he won his first ever F2 race in Augusta, and finished third overall in the championship. Ladd was set to move up to the sports top level in 2008, F1 ChampBoat with a new team currently being assembled.

“Kevin was one of the most impressive young drivers we had in the sport, period. He had it all, talent, good looks, great work ethics, and he was truly a great ambassador to our sport as a whole”, stated series director, Mike Schriefer. “Our hearts and prayers pour out to Kelly, Kori and the entire Ladd/Pater family”!
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post

Thread Information