Thread: In memory of racers no longer with us:

Post Thanks / Like

Default James "Beaver" Tyler

James "Beaver" Tyler
    1944-2008
    Beaver Tyler, 63, passed away Wednesday, Feb. 6, 2008, at his home.
    Memorial service: 2 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 16, at the Lockheed-Martin River Pavilion, 3400 Bryant Irvin Road, Fort Worth.
    Survivors: Wife, Donna Tyler; daughter, Tami Whitten and husband, Tim;
    sister, Annette Estes and husband, Cary; grandchildren, Tyler Whitten and Alyssa Whitten; and numerous cousins, nieces and nephews.
    Published in the Star-Telegram on 2/14/2008.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Harry Brinkman Book

Thanks for reminding me, the rings were called "No Drag" rings...It was long before the internet when we talked on the phone, but Harry seemed like a great guy.

Any chance of contacting his family and getting permission to print his "BOOK" here. I, for one, would be interested in reading it...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    Any chance of contacting his family and getting permission to print his "BOOK" here. I, for one, would be interested in reading it...
    With Harry's blessing and help Steve Roskowski has been working on an updated version.

It would be pretty hard to reproduce on line anyway ... Harry typed it on an IBM Selective Electric typewriter with a cursive ball on it, even the originals are hard to read.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rocky Aoki, Mr. Benihana

They didn't mention Rocky's boat racing in his obituary, but he raced GN and offshore in his time. I had made Brad Miller about ten GN props for $2500. Brad sold one to Rocky for $1,000.....

When I was Region 12 Chairman, Region 12 put on the APBA National Convention in Las Vegas. Bill Boyes, Sr, helped a lot with this convention..We held it a Cesare's Palace...But Rocky invitied all APBA members to his restruant and gave them free drinks and PuPus...for two hours...Of course, I'd ask Rocky to sponsor this party...but it was his money that did it..

I will always remember Edgar Rose and Jimmy Jost coming in an hour late to the party and hollering at each other....Edgar was saying, "I said the front door of the hotel...".....You can't win an argument with Edgar Rose...

It was a great party....Rocky got hurt right after this and quit boat racing...I've never been to a Benihana restaurant without asking if Rocky was in.....Then, I tell them, I made's Rocky's GN prop....(Nobody ever cared)...

69 doesn't sound old when you are 64!!!

Rest in peace ROCKY...I never ever saw you BACK IT DOWN when you were racing...He didn't invent the word Banzai.....but when he raced boats BANZAI was the WORD!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 06-24-2017 at 01:22 PM.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We didn't have any Benihana Restaurants around here, or otherwise I would have supported it. I can remember reading about when he stuffed his cat. I was amazed how he survived. Seems like it was off the Pacific coast, but I can't remember for sure. He was good for the sport of boat racing. Articulate, willing to help promote, and got a lot of good press. Besides....he knew how to race. It's sad to hear that we've lost him.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rocky

I remember Rocky. He was a hard charging very enthusiastic guy. He was only about 5'5''. Of course, everybody is short to the Hill family. He was a hard racer, even his plate and throttle guy, whose name I forget, said Rocky was the hardest driver he'd ever ridden with. As I said, I forget his name but he was one of the most experienced and top rated throttle men.

Rocky first came to the US as a member of the Japanese Olympic wrestling team. When he returned to the US he set up what I believe was the first teppanyaki restaurant in this country. I don't know where is financial backing came from.

He started his Bennihana restaurant business in, of all places, New Your City. He slept in the restaurant's rest room for the first six months of operation and so the story goes, made a million buck in that 6 months.

He was kind of a tough luck guy. After he ruptured his heart in an offshore catamaran, he quit boat racing and went into something safer—hot air balloon racing. (I’d rather take my chances on water.) His balloon was super Bennihana advertizing, but somehow he crashed and broke both his legs. I think he quit balloons after that.

Boat racing is better off today as a result of Rocky Aoki having been in the sport.

Russ Hill

Tomtall

Default John Webster (U.S.A.)

7-15-08

It is with heavy heart I must post the passing of my UNCLE JOHN. John was 96 years young.

John Webster was the crazy uncle of our family. John surved in WW2 as an air force pilot. Was a graduate of Ohio State Univ. and was introduced to the sport of powerboat racing when stationed in Europe during the war. He returned to the states and purchased his own equipment to race. He mentored many young racers. He stayed active in the sport till the late 1950's were he was a referee for APBA stock outboard races.

If it were not for my crazy uncle I would have never found interest in the sport. I saved anything regarding his racing days and actually have found articles here on BRF regarding races that he had worked in. I thank him for passing the love of the sport onto me as I have now done as well to my son.

"Rest in Peace" John and may your afterlife be filled with joy and a full tank of gas.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Our condolences Tom. Your uncle John was one of the Patriots that has helped our country remain free and helped us keep our liberties. Your thread about the old advertisments is one of my favorites, and it reminds me of the spirit and enthusiam that the guys returning from the war had. There was nothing that they could not do. It was their generation that pulled all of the Americans out of the doldrums of the Great Depression. God bless you and all your family on the loss of your uncle John.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's some Outboarders I'd like to remember:

Bruce Deugo

Don Allen, Sr.

Harold Barnes

Dwight McClellan

Dennis McClellan

Paul Lloyd

Charles Young

Broom Kavoojian

Bruno Gervasi

Richard Engler

Post Thanks / Like

Our prayers go out to the Kirts clan. Tom was one of the guys to beat in Pro runabouts. He was a great guy and will be missed. We pitted by or close to the Kirts frequently and got to know Tom well and considered him a good friend.

Thread Information