Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: An Amazing Story: Part 2

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering about that Jeff. I was going by how he sat in the boat, but you can definitely make out a distinctive cowling. How I could kick myself for not taking pics in the pits after everyone got there and was rigged up. It may be that in the 10 or 15 rolls of B&W that I never developed there might be some pit pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    It may be that in the 10 or 15 rolls of B&W that I never developed there might be some pit pictures.
    Get r' done!

Post Thanks / Like

I'll pay 1/2!!

Post Thanks / Like

That's not the problem Jeff. They should still be OK having kept them in climate control, but they are roll your own, and when I did a lot of that, sometimes I would get in a hurry and not label the cassette what type of film and film speed it was. The cassettes are reusable and I might even have some Ektachrome in a cassette labeled XXX (tri-X). I almost always rolled 36 exposure rolls, so that's not a problem. I have to either find one of those tools to pull the leader out to identify the film, or go into the darkroom and pop them open to retrieve a piece. So.....guess I better get to it.

BTW, I know on one of the rolls is Clark Maloof's horrific blowover at Lakeland that I heard ended his boat racing.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is the Angle?

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    One way you can tell is that Jerry Kirts hunches over and leans his head forward, while Jeff Hutchins' back is more straight and he keeps his head vertical or sometimes tilted back if he is leaning more forward.
    The H-1 boat looks tiny for a 700 compared to the F-5. Wayne, et. al how long were the 700's back in the day?

I love those classic lines on the Yales and Butts.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default size does matter

look closely at the stinger diameter and length on Jerry's boat versus the F-5
    Possibly Jerry is running a "B" instead of a "D". Typically the stinger diameter was larger on the larger engines, and that seems to be the case between these two photographs. I would agree that Jerry's boat is smaller, especially in the afterplane dimension, which really determines a hydro's length and suitability for different engines and speeds.

I have been trying to learn "photo forensics" from Jeff Lytle.

Post Thanks / Like

So Dave, I guess you are joining in with Joe and Jeff and hinting that I need to get my A$$ in gear and develope some film taken during the previous century in a timely manner.?

David....I wasn't trying to fake anyone out. I was just trying to demonstrate the different ways Jeff and Jerry appeared in a boat, and both those pics were handy. They were from the 1978 UIM World Championships in Dayton. Jerry is in an OB, and Jeff in OC. The 700 hydros were around 12-8 if I remember correctly.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Or you can do what I'm doing now, either throwing it out or getting it ready for "Otis's traveling boat racing crap yard sale".

In your case though, I think I'd like to see the pictures.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Here's what is left to be developed. I did label a few. Some are soccer games, 95,96. I know one is a flood where Alexis and I had to hike cross country to get home because flood waters closed the Teddy Kennedy Causeway, but most are not marked. But, I am now curious myself. I hope most of them aren't in the category of opening Al Capone's safe.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information