Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: An Amazing Story: Part 2

David_L6

No argument from me on who said it. I don't trust my memory that well. I do remember you telling me that someone had told you something to that effect though.

I also remember you showing me the boat with the turn fin that could be raised. I believe that you said Kenny Bayer had something to do with that?

I think it's cool just to have set a record, but one that hasn't been broken in over 20 years is something else. The only record I have ever set is a 3 mile, 4 lap (3/4 mile course) AOF record in E hydro. I should have the 3 mile, 3 lap record too but a buoy jumped out in front of me.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default movable turn fin

David:

Kenny Bayer had everything to do with that movable fin. I purchased it from him when he and his Dad stopped racing, as I thought it would be a desirable item to have to help acceleration coming out of a corner. A deep sponson fin will have a detrimental effect on the boat accelerating quickly out of a corner, as there is drag involved on it until you straighten the boat out on the straightaway, which in turn scrubs off some speed until you get the boat going straight again. The fin was movable, or could be raised to accomplish the removal of that drag. The down side was if someone was on your outside, and you didn't notice them, you could very quickly be in their boat with them, because the boat would really accelerate when you lifted the fin. but it would also drift sideways as there was nothing to hold it anymore if you had any sideways headway at all. I never tried to hide or conceal the fact I could raise or lower it under way, as it was obvious to other competitors what the result could be if they were too close on your hip on the outside coming out of a corner. Whether it intimidated anyone to not be there in a race, I have no idea, but it would have given me second thoughts if one of my competitors was running one. Kind of like my friend Henry Tietge from Iowa with only one good eye, that used to race with Midwest Power Boat. He would never tell you which one it was, because as long as you were not sure, you didn't know which was his "good" or "bad" side and you didn't get too close to either. The fin was an either/or situation, in other words up or down completely, you could not "feather" it part way. I stopped using it in competition as I felt it could possible cause an accident if someone was not in plain sight on my outside, or worse case the actuation mechanism failed and the fin failed to return to the down position when entering a corner.
    It used a simple air cylinder on a pivot to raise and lower the blade, and I used a small can of freon to actuate it. This was before the time of stopped sale of freon because of environmental concerns. I also have heard, that fins that are movable while the boat is under way are now illegal from a safety standpoint. I am not sure about that, but it was legal at the time I used it.

I still have it, but since it is about the only thing from the combination that set the record that I still have, I think I will keep it for awhile. I do still have the faster prop also.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That's some good history Bill Van. I remember the origins of 350 class, but the RB was coming along the time I was dropping classes and heading in other directions. I still have the rules for the probationary class that you provided at either Ceasar's Palace or the Portland, Oregon Convention.

Jeff...I am glad you put the story to my notes. At that time Greg, Glenn Coates and Roy Alexander were putting time and effort into getting the international racing going. And while I didn't think Greg had gone to Italy that late in the year, I was a little confused because of the other references. Since those guys were getting into the UIM racing, I think Greg must have filled me in on other news. The notes were from my journal, and I knew at the time what was going on, but too many years have passed. This just is another example of the kind of information you can get here on BRF. Just a passing journal entry from a long past date has led to a very interesting boat racing story, and I think we may be able to track down a photo to cap it off. PM me Greg's number and I'll see if I can get him to come to Lake Alfred.

ADD: Notice in the last color pit shot who was pitted to our left.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    PM me Greg's number and I'll see if I can get him to come to Lake Alfred.

ADD: Notice in the last color pit shot who was pitted to our left.
    Yup.............saw that. Also saw Henk Engels "Slipstream Racing Team" trailer there as well. Henk ran 250ccH, boat #97, a Rawsoncraft / Butts copy.

Greg's email address is: greghall@remponline.com He is a member here too: http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/member.php?u=2916 just hasn't posted yet. His stats show he hasn't been here since 09-14-2007.

Member's Name
    Greg Hall
    Interests
    Pleasure boating, Sports cars, Travel & whatever kids are into.
    Occupation
    Residential Mortgage Broker. Owner of "Real Estate Mortgage Professionals in Maitland, FL
    Biography
    Raced 250ccH, 350ccH & 500ccH in Canada & US (Region 2) from early 70's until 82.
    Boat racing number

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default re Waynes pictures from La Crosse

Picture # 3 is Jim Teitge from Cedar Rapids, Ia. Looks like a flathead on his boat, and if only RB and F-350 ran, he may have been either racing or testing his RB rig. He is a dentist and now lives on the east coast and is a college professor in a dental school, can"t remember where. N. or S. Carolina I think. After moving and quitting boat racing, he still needed something exciting in his life, so he started brewing beer. And I don't know "the rest of that story"about that.

Picture #4 I am sure is Bill Rucker driving one of Doc Collins runabouts. Billy was one of those drivers that was easily recognizable because of the way he kneeled in the boat and also his spiffy racing goggles. Think he won the SST-120 class Series Championship a couple of years ago, that they run with the Champ Boat shows.

After looking at those pictures after all these years, with the water conditions the way they were, there is no doubt the right decision was made to cancel the Nationals scheduled there, and I don't remember any doubt at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Here is Fred Petter

I agree that the La Crosse nationals were the absolute worst ever. When the site was first announced, I was very vocal against it. I didn’t want to seem like a rabble-rouser, but had been on the river in that area in the past— it was bad news. Here’s a picture of Fred Petter at a race 40 miles downriver from La Crosse—at Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin, in 1979. That was a far better place to race, but still no candidate for a nationals. In the background is Fred Schletty (referee), and the lady at the far right is Allan Feddersen’s wife Ruth Ann. In 1961, the NOA championship race was held on the Mississippi at St. Paul, Minnesota. Fred Petter was very involved in this race, and it turned out very well. I was just 14 at the time, but can vividly remember Jim Schoch winning F Hydro in a very impressive manner. I couldn’t believe a boat could go that fast.
    It seemed as though people either loved Fred or hated him. I always thought he was OK, but then again I was very young. Maybe Tim Chance can add more information on Petter, as he was enough older than I and more involved in Midwest Power Boat Association.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What a great picture of Jerry with his post about Fred Petter. And he posted a picture also, in only his 2nd or at most 3rd post. I have been making a fool out of myself on here for 2-3 years, and I'm lucky to make myself understood, much less pictures also.

Great to have you here Jerry. I'm sure it will help pass a lot of cold Minnesota nights for you this winter.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Bill Van, Jerry. It's great to see your posts.

I do remember your being very vocal about the venue, and I had a notation about your feelings in my journal going somewhere back to before the race at Laredo. I didn't mention your thoughts at the time, because I don't do that without asking first. We were familiar with river racing at Beaumont. If there is a flood, or lot of high water bringing down debris.....it is not good to race. Since you were familiar with the area, my Dad had great respect for your thoughts and that's one of the reasons he flew home after Dayton. He figured there was a high probability the race would not go off, and he had too much to take care of due to the big boom going on in the oilfield.

Look forward to more of your stories and pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sandy Ball ---Fast Guy

One high point of La Crosse was the time available (we sure weren't doing any racing) to talk with old friends. I hadn't seen Sandy Ball for many years. He drove for Joe Maltba in the late '50s and early '60s. They were both from the Madison, Wisconsin, area. The guy was really fast and not afraid of rough water. I watched him race as a young kid. He was full of questions about Konigs and offered to take my 700 Hydro for a ride. I declined.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about Photo

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peterson View Post
    He was full of questions about Konigs and offered to take my 700 Hydro for a ride. I declined.
    Something I noticed that is unusual in the photograph, it that the exhaust is on the left side of the engine. IF this is a Konig 700, it is the only one that I have ever seen with the exhaust coming out the left side, where the carburation is usually located. Perhaps the negative was flipped?

Thread Information