Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: An Amazing Story: Part 2

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

But Jerry...that would raise the question of where in the world I was hanging out. Not only that, but why would my face not be messed up? Only my right hip, elbows, maybe some ribs and knees. That doesn't really add up to a mugging. In fact, it could lead to questions like why I didn't call, where's the complaint report, what was stolen and when I couldn't answer all that....what then? And how come the bruises in those places?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    But Jerry...that would raise the question of where in the world I was hanging out. Not only that, but why would my face not be messed up? Only my right hip, elbows, maybe some ribs and knees. That doesn't really add up to a mugging. In fact, it could lead to questions like why I didn't call, where's the complaint report, what was stolen and when I couldn't answer all that....what then? And how come the bruises in those places?
    Wayne, it's a lay down boat so you're missing some other
    "interesting" bruises. I still think the lady of questionable virtue with strange tastes is your best bet. Let me know how it goes?

BTW, if you think Maryland if far enough away, I have a spare room

Post Thanks / Like

No Dave....when I drove my first laydown in 1976...I learned what to do to keep from bruising those parts. And Maryland isn't far enough away from a Texan with a gun. & besides.....I think taxes in Maryland must be much greater than that in Texas.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

No Dave....when I drove my first laydown in 1976...I learned what to do to keep from bruising those parts.
    Myself and it only took one ride

And Maryland isn't far enough away from a Texan with a gun.
    I think I have you "covered" there , Pop taught me in the old school Marine Corps way and I guess it worked, my best day at the National Matches was a 194/200 from the 600 yard line. It's too bad the climate is such that it is, it would be cool to discuss our other "toys".

& besides.....I think taxes in Maryland must be much greater than that in Texas.
    There's no doubt about that, Maryland is a throw money at it and it's sure to get better state

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't figured out how to do the cool blue statement thing that you respond to Dave, but I am guessing that the climate on the internet is too hot as well as the climate in Texas is too hot to come show me personally? Well I have a spare bedroom as well. So if you want to bring some stuff to show me....come on. Inside, right shoulder bruises are OK down here.

Post Thanks / Like

As was the case in our two previous outings at Eastwood Lake in Dayton, everything was great. This was a fabulous racing venue with good and spacious pits, good milling room, a fantastic facility for the press and officials, a good clock that was easy to see, lots of port o potties, concessions, good views for spectators....in short...a perfect place to race. Tom Bates was always on top of everything. He and my Dad worked together perfectly and in this case Tom was an old hand at working with the inboard guys who we were piggybacking on with their Inboard Hydro National Championships.

Here are a couple of pics when we got to the pits and started to rig up. In the second pic, Greg Hall is talking to Ruth Butts and my wife Debbie.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I haven't figured out how to do the cool blue statement thing that you respond to Dave, but I am guessing that the climate on the internet is too hot as well as the climate in Texas is too hot to come show me personally? Well I have a spare bedroom as well. So if you want to bring some stuff to show me....come on. Inside, right shoulder bruises are OK down here.
    Semper Fi Guys...

Keep the stories coming please! Puts us wannabes right there with the pros.
    "Sis"

Post Thanks / Like

I was looking through the roster of the inboard drivers and saw the names of several old friends from the outboard days...Lee Hertz, Nick Cerino, Marcel Bellville and Jay Root. Lee was there helping Tim in his pits, but I presume the others were not because I didn't see them.

Bruce Marioneaux is checking out the set up on his Butts, and you can see that Tim had been hanging around Joe Rome too much. He is now sporting a cowboy hat.

One of my all time favorite boats "Shadowfax" remained on the trailer. This would be the first time I put the new Butts laydown "Vibora de Cascabel" to the test. Blown out in Laredo, small tight course in Beaumont, loss of power in Acapulco. Here in Dayton I would finally be able to air it out and see what it could do.

L-R Eilleen and Bill Van Steenwyk, Joe Rome, Ray Hardy lighting up a smoke, and Debbie Baldwin and Ruth Butts in the aluminum chairs. You can see a new laydown Butts Aerowing in the background of several pics...No. 18. I can't figure out who it is and I haven't been able to find a roster of drivers.

Steve Hertz loved the new laydown. He wanted to drive one very badly. He wanted me to take this shot of him in the cockpit. Steve later on went to drive a small inboard , I think Y class, and some class of small open cockpit cars, then I lost track.

Final pic is one of my Dad talking with inboard VP Tony Scartine.
    Last edited by Master Oil Racing Team; 08-17-2008 at 08:32 AM. Reason: add info

Post Thanks / Like

I always loved the few times we got to race with the inboard hydros. A couple of the images I still carry that got me interested in boat racing were the Bardahl ads on TV of Ron Musson in Miss Bardahl and watching Bill Sterret drive his 7 liter hydro on ABC's WIDE WORLD OF SPORTS. I wished I would have taken more pictures in the pits.

I tried looking up the results, but my file on this race is only about all the pre race stuff we did and nothing of the roster of drivers or results. I don't have any notes from race days either...just a very brief note on my racing. I looked in the Propeller and found results on the top three places of each class of the Inboard Hydro Nationals, but no mention in the Pro 700 Hydro Nationals because I didn't send anything in and apparently no one else did either. It was a time of turmoil in the Pro division and with the loss of our VP, our newly appointed VP Ralph Donald had just received notice that he was taking over Mel Kirts' unfinished term.

One of the entries that caught my eye was Capnzee'ss on the roster racing A-75 Super Tiger in 2.5 Liter. I looked very hard to see if I had a pic, but no. Then when I discovered he finished third in 5 liter, I went back to look for F numbers and a boat named "Hallucination" owned by Patrick Gudvangen out of La Mirada, California. Still no luck. I didn't take enough pictures. But here's a few of what I did take.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

.No. 18. I can't figure out who it is and I haven't been able to find a roster of drivers.
    Was Malcolm Harden running a 700 at that time?

Thread Information