Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: An Amazing Story: Part 2

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default That last means "pretty good".......

.......for those of you not near the border.

Okay Jeff, here's a few pics for you. I have some more that I will scan from the negatives when I get back from Corpus.

Dieter never gave me any rules for taking pictures or told me anything was offlimits. I had a free rein to walk around and snap all I wanted. Except he never told me about the meeting room upstairs with the collection of all the old Konigs going back to the beginning. Steve Litzell told me about it.

The one exception from Dieter was the editor of Powerboat, Bob Brown forwarded a request from a reader in Tahiti for a picture of the 6 cylinder OF Hans Krage won the world championships in 1976. I asked Dieter about it and he said he didn't want pictures of that motor published. OOPS! That's how the guy knew it existed. Oh Well. Deiter never mentioned it again and didn't seem to have any problem with what I did.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Post Thanks / Like

I'd never considered the half speed disk rotary valve ... barrel rotors are often run at half speed and the hole thru the barrel is symmetrical front and back. A half speed rotor has to be big enough to have 2 symmetrical holes to accommodate 2 open times per turn.

I'm still not clear on the intake timing on that triple.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sam,

It looks as if carb#1 and carb #3 are 120° apart on the disc. Carb #2 is inset at a different diameter than 1&3. The disc has 2 sets of openings 180° apart for #1 and#3 to use and 2 additional openings at 180° for carb#2 and disc runs at 1/2 speed of the crank. Please check my logic on this.

Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Dan ... now that you point it out, it is obvious ...

Dieter truly was a genius
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah...that was kind of a trick I played for "Eagle Eye". It was in a frame next to the other photos and so was on the bench. I just blew up the frames of the contact sheet and didn't notice the layout of the holes until then. I originally posted it to show some innovations Dieter had when making something other than the 2 cyl. or opposed 4 cyl motors. when I saw that it didn't go with this engine as is, I just left it to wait for comments. It worked.

Dieter had it laying there for some reason though. I will go dig out the negatives for the other pics.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dieter was a genius

When I found this on another contact sheet I blew it up thinking that might be the motor that belongs with the rotary valve housing. Lighting and angle is bad, but it appears to be an FA with a cast iron block and rotary valve. What do you guys think? Need to find other angles.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

This sort of tinkering is why I always wondered why people were trying to improve Dieter's work? I guess it's easier to blame the engine maker or boat builder than just to admit you are bad at set up or a poor driver.
    Had I known 1984 was going to be my peak year, I would have tried harder

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne,

I just have to add that your photos are AWESOME!
    Had I known 1984 was going to be my peak year, I would have tried harder

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wayne,

If you draw an imaginary circle from the centerline of the driven shaft to the outside diameter of the carb openings, it doesn't look like there is enough room for a rotary disc to sweep behind the carbs. It almost looks like this might be some type of "shuttle/gate" valve arrangement. The rotary motion converted to linear motion possibly sliding a gate up and down to open and close the carb opennings. Dieter was amazing.

Dan

Post Thanks / Like

I hadn't thought of anything like that Dan, but I couldn't detect any kind of rotary valve housing either. Unfortunatel, I didn't take any notes. I didn't want to push it as far as Dieter was concerned with his R&D and my curiousity. Unfortunately, the reason notes were invented was to jog your memory and without them........que lastima!

Did you remember this motor Eric? Dieter always had different things going on every time I was there. No telling what you might find on the workbenches or in the dyno room.

Thread Information