Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: An Amazing Story: Part 2

Post Thanks / Like

Were the cats using the adjustable trim that they do now?

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That...I do not know Jeff. Never been in the cockpit of one...or asked. But as all that was available then and given the temperament of an alky engine, especially when cold, I am sure they had adjustible trim in and out..up and down.

Post Thanks / Like

Erwin Zimmerman went unchalleged in the final heat and led the whole way. Hans Krage was second for one lap until passed by Wilfried Weiland. PIP Willy Douglas ran 4th for 4 laps, then was passed by Michael Werner. On lap 6 Michael passed Hans and in a race to the finish Hans was just behind Michael. Coming out of the final turn Wilfried blew a lower unit. Thus it was Zimmerman, Werner, Krage and Douglas at the finish. I don't recall other finishers.

Pic 1 is Erwin Zimmerman preparing to get into his rig.

2 Hans Krage

3 Pip Willy pounding the waves.

4 Wilfried Weiland and Jorg Lipinski on the back straight

5 Baldy Baldwin and Erwin Zimmerman

6 I had shot a partial roll of film and must have rewound it to change to color. I usually mark how many shots were on the rewound roll so I know how many frames to shoot past when I respool it. I forgot to this time and more than half the roll was double exposed. The only pics I have of Michael Werner and some others were on this roll. Basically one whole roll of film shot.

ADD: I didn't really remember Michael Werner racing OD. He DID race in OE, but I lost most of my notes from those days. The only reference I have of him in any of the heats is No. 78 passing Douglas and Krage. That was Michaels Number at the race, but he could have loaned someone his cat for the OD class. So i figured without absolute proof, it may not have been Michael Werner that raced no 78.
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Post Thanks / Like

I talked to Powerboat editor Bob Brown before I went to Berlin and as before he asked me to do the story in the first person. He didn't want any blow by blow of the races, or coverage like I would normally do.

The reason was because unlike offshore racing or the larger outboard classes OE, ON and OZ the Americans were not familiar with driver names from overseas. So that's why this article is written the way it was.

Post Thanks / Like

The following day a rather unique thing took place........at least as far as anything to do with boat racing that I ever saw.

A bunch of drivers were invited to participate in a test by pharmaceutical giant Schering. The drivers, around 20, underwent a medical examination for fitness and some tests performed. Then one group took a sugar pill while a second group took some kind of pill that was supposed to reduce blood pressure, and I think, reduce anxiety. No one knew which pill was which.

Then we went to a place on Saatwinkler Damm where some bouys were set up. Before each driver went out, he was wired up for information off his body. It was a time trial with a flying start. The clock would start when the boat flew past the starting point, then would go about a quarter miles, turn around a single bouy then race back to the start/stop bouy. As soon as the driver got out of the boat he was hustled to a place at the dock where they would check blood pressure, pulse and I a not sure what else.

Hans Krage was very elated to be a part of hit. He was very enthusiatic. He pounded his chest and exclaimed with a big grin "I have it. I have the pill!" He set the quickest time. Of course it didn't hurt any the fact that it was his boat that was used for the test and he was extremely familiar with it on that canal.

I was just thinking at the time what the lawyers would do to the drug company if something bad had happened.

The driver being wired here is Kurt Mischke.

Post Thanks / Like

The following day, Tuesday, we went to the factory for some dyno tests. I cannot remember what this was about except that at some point we bought a new OD 700cc motor. I thought it was 1979, but maybe we bought it on this trip and had it dyno tested. Problem is, the motor on the dyno doesn't look new. Maybe Dieter made a deal. I can't remember. But I do have a list of what I came back with for customs and a motor wasn't on it. I had ignition parts mostly.

My Dad and Jack left before we did so maybe he took it. Or maybe we didn't buy one then. My Dad wanted to spend a few more days looking around, but Jack was ready to hook'em home. Jack would spend days with my Dad and myself working on motors either at his house or ours, which to him was his second home. However, on the road, he was always upbeat on the racing and preparing motors until the event was over. After that, he was ready to hit the road.

Post Thanks / Like

My Dad and Jack left while Debbie and I stayed to tour around a little first. The UIM OB, OC and OE World Championships were coming up soon at Dayton, Ohio so we couldn't linger long.

Our friend Peter Preis and his girlfriend Jenny took us out on the town the night before we were to leave for Hamburg to visit an Italian friend of his. We had dinner and the owner of the restaurant was a friend and gave us a complimentary bottle of champagne. The we went to U-Kudamm. An underground labyrinth of small bars that served beer, but each one had its own special schnaaps. Peter knew every bar owner. We had to go see all of them. We would buy beer, then they would insist we tried their trademark schnaps.

We left for Hamburg early the next morning. Debbie and I were not used to such things and besides headaches, our stomachs were laying low and trying to not work.

At that time, it was the high mark of the Baader-Meinhof Gang of West Germany and the Red Brigade from Italy. They were a bunch of communistic anarchists bent on terrorism in Europe. They had put out a notice that they planned to shoot down an airline with a stinger missile. They had accomplished enough terrorist activities at that time to the point where the threat was taken seriously.

When the jet to Hamburg took off from Berlin, it did not throttle back soon after take off as most airliners do when flying over neighborhoods. I never knew such large aircraft could do such low level manuevers. We went this way, then that, and pulled some G's. Our stomachs were rolling and the thought of a flight bag was unthinkable. To look at one would be instant (well...you know what.) I concentrated on my severe headache to forget my stomach. I don't know what Debbie did.

I felt better on the ground in Hamburg, and we got some crackers before the drive to the restaurant. When we arrived a the restaurant, the owner met us in the back and led us in through the kitchen. With all those spices in the air, my stomach turned a couple of flips and I hurried back out to the parking lot in the rear where I fertilized a few pansies. After eating a few crackers at the bar and a little glass of wine, things looked up.

Here's a few photos from around Hamburg--1978

Post Thanks / Like

OK viewers, once again, Wayne has just laid down some outstanding photos.

See how narrow the canal was? Thats about as close to actual size in a pic that I've seen. A couple of shot's of mine come close, but not quite enough.

Those are some great shots of the dyno room. All my photos were too dark. Wayne, on our trips, I think I remember the water brake pulled on a cable, through a pulley and then tugged on a scale??? Just used for comparison/reletivity. I think Gary's "old" sand cast 350cc pulled a "40" while a off the shelf die cast pulled a 36-37?? Calling Gary first thing tomorrow!!! Any photos of that? Mine are dark, if I took any.

Ahhh, the dyno room. Turn on the fan, pull the rope, blip the throttle a few times, turn on the water alittle, full throttle, crank in the pipe with a winch, crank the water valve open!!!!!

Once I remember hearing an engine running at top revs when all of a sudden.....nothing. I knew what that was. In a boat, it usually coinsides with a jerk to the left, pushing on the steering wheel and then the quiet sound of the waves pitter pattering beneath the boat.

Sorry Wayne...continue, please.
    Had I known 1984 was going to be my peak year, I would have tried harder

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have to take a look to see what I have Eric. I have more photos of the dyno room from 75 and 76, but don't know specifically what. I will post them on the Konig thread that I think Sam started in the encylopedia. That way it will be easier for people to find.

Post Thanks / Like

Default trains, planes & automobiles.....

We caught a train to drive us to northern Germany then caught a car ferry to take us to Sylt---a Danish island off the southwestern part of Denmark. The train system of carrying cars was very interesting. Luckily we ended up on top of a car for a good view of the countryside.

We have car ferries in Texas, but not for such long voyages or for so many cars. Ours are one deckers.

I ordered a fish sandwich at an imbiss in Sylt and it had four little fishies layed in a row alternating head and tail to make them fit the bun. Their little heads were still on with glossed over eyes not paying me any attention It tasted good.

This was also an educational trip. I guess many of you have seen or even tried the beer in a green bottle "ST. PAULI GIRLS". It refers to the girls of the St. Pauli district of Hamburg. It is a red light district. I have included a photo of the street in which the St. Pauli Girls hang out. It is a very short street and barricaded on each end by red blockades which you enter on one side and pass around another section. On each side of the street the buildings have big pane glass windows like a store. The girls in flimsy and filmy garmets sit in rocking chairs while the guys outside window shop. When the deal is made, the guy goes to a door and meets the girl, then they go upstairs. When Debbie and I, Peter and his girlfriend Jenny got there on a Saturday night, the merchandise was all upstairs. Not a soul in one of the picture windows. But everytime I see a St Pauli beer, I think of our trip.

Thread Information