Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: An Amazing Story: Part 2

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That would be great. For 1100 CC hydro my normal number was R46. For C service hydro it would have been R11 or 11R. I also rode deck for Robert Waite (R-44).

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll look it up. I didn't get to race against a lot of you guys often enough to know the numbers. I do know Howard Anderson, Ron Anderson, Lee Sutter and Bob Rhoades' numbers. I forget Don Anderson's no., and probably a few others I have forgotten. But the couple of times we did get up to Yelm we had a wonderful time.

Seems like we had a full field of 1100 hydros and didn't have to qualify so I probably don't have one of you in the 1100 hydro unless it was testing. I'll check the color and B&W though to see about CSR and 1100R. Thanks much for the input. BTW can you point out where all of you were in the pit shots?

I looked through some CSR pics before I saw your post and found a couple that I thought people might like.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Attached some names on the pics.

Post Thanks / Like

That's cool how you did that Steve. I need to learn how. I'll look for some pics in the morning. When I get back to the Bill Holland story that I quit and left hanging after I started "An Amazing Story", I've got some questions for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Steve, no luck unless you were running a 6 cyl looper on a yellow hydro. I couldn't make out that number and it wasn't Wayne Walgrave's Chapparal unless he changed hull designs. For some reason I didn't take any CSH photos.

ADD: You don't by any chance remember the details on Cheney Street's disqualification and ultimate reinstatement in Formula 350 do you?

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the photo that DeSouza put names to I see several more. In the bottom left with curly blonde hair and hat, Tom Kirts Jr just behind him, Todd Warren. Center right is Pete Hellsten with legs crossed, just behind Pete, is Gary Pugh, then an empty chair and Chris Hellsten. I'm actually left of Gary, but blocked by Pete. Using another pic, John Stevens is sitting on my right, left in picture.......I think.....I somehow confused myself.
    Had I known 1984 was going to be my peak year, I would have tried harder

Post Thanks / Like

Between Trebor and Pete I believe is Todd Brinkman, John Stevens is right behind him.

In the other boat pics, V17 is Clyde Queen and 11 is Jeff Hutchins.
    Had I known 1984 was going to be my peak year, I would have tried harder

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to have to learn to do that thing Steve did with the name tagging Eric. Between the camera and Mike Jones is the late Jim Stone. Above Trebor Billiter is Jim McKean and to Jim's right is John Yale. I have another angle I haven't posted yet, but anyone who knows how to post the names on the other pics, please give a try.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    Sorry Steve, no luck unless you were running a 6 cyl looper on a yellow hydro. I couldn't make out that number and it wasn't Wayne Walgrave's Chapparal unless he changed hull designs.
    A six looper on a yellow Byers would have been Dean Wilson, Sr.
    If thats the style hydro you're looking at Wayne.
    The boat# would be C-44.

Post Thanks / Like

Could be Dean, I know he was there. Debbie took the pic. Looks like we're milling just before the one minute gun, or maybe lining up for the start with more boats to the outside. Dan Kirts and I jumped the gun on the first heat, and I led all but the last lap of the second heat until the backside rotary valve belt broke. A rare thing to happen that far into the race.

I don't see your Dad's name in the final four of each heat, so it's possible that this was a pic of a qualifying heat. Heat one of the finals was Wayne Walgrave, John Yale, John Medlen and Walter Johnson. Heat two it was Dan Kirts, Jeff Hutchins, Wayne Walgrave and Walter Johnson. Overall it was Walgrave, Kirts and Johnson.

Thread Information