Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: An Amazing Story: Part 2

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is one of the sad parts of the tale.

Jack Chance was beat down. For thirteen years we had been together. We went through a lot. I spent a lot of time at Jack's learning how to work on Konigs. Jack had me tear them down, replace parts, space everything so that the crank and all moving parts would spin up centered, and even how to weld with a clothes hanger.

Jack was a retired foreman from the Exxon (Humble Oil and Refining) Baytown refinery. My Dad and Jack hit it off instantly at the Lone Star race at Baytown in 1966. From that time on, I spent a lot of time with Jack at his place or my Dad's. Even when races were not on the horizon, we had the pleasure of Jack's company. During hunting season Jack could have been mistaken for a guide.

It was not a long drawn out realization to us....or even a planned event. Shortly after the race at Alexandria Jack came to our house. It was probably during one of Tim's test events. Jack told my Dad and I that he wasn't able to build motors that could keep us in front anymore. Jack said he didn't have the ability to do what the motor builders of today were doing. He said that we needed to find someone else that could do what we had formerly expected of him.

It was a blow to us, but we were kind of expecting it. The new Konig we brought back from Berlin wasn't up to snuff. It was the first time I ever got those kind of starts at Alex, and not being able to pull out a win since we went with another motor. Marshall's old D motor had a lot of time on it, and it was 10 years old by now. We had been having problems with sleeves leaking water and ignition problems. Without the leaks, we would have run the D41994 motor we got from Marshall. Jack said we needed to send the new 48mm carb Konig to Ron Anderson just as Tim did for his.

Jack never did any major motor work for us after that.

Post Thanks / Like

November 11-16, 1979 Region 12 put on the APBA National Meeting in Las Vegas, Nevada. The meetings were held at Ceasar's Palace which is where we all stayed as well.

The three things I was most interested in were the Hall of Champions, the 700cc National Championships and the Pro UIM Commission.

The first round of HOC inductees into the Pro Division demonstrated that a better points system needed to be devised. I came up with a plan that was weighted so that drivers that faced much more competition and came out on top got a little additional more for their efforts. Everyone liked my plan, so I got picked to take the annual stats, the winners and compile all the info to present our HOC nominees at the convention. I motioned for Todd Brinkman,Sr. and Tom Kirts to be accepted....seconded by Bucky Makofski, and was passed unanimously.

Hydroplanes International put in a bid for the 700cc hydro class to be held in Dayton, Ohio. Prize money would be $2,500.00.

The Pro/UIM Commission was proposed by me in order to have some say in Pro racing when it comes to international rules and the APBA officials that attend UIM sessions. After the 1978 fuel debacle we at Hydroplanes International had thought long and hard about how to have some representation. I had talked to both Jose Mawet, exec-director of UIM and Charlie Strang about our ideas and they gave their blessings. The Pro Commission passed it and I was made the chairman. So now it was time to gather up the committee members, with representatives also from the OPC ranks.

ADD: On the second evening F1 World Champ Jackie Stewart got on the elevator as I was going down to the lobby. It was just me and him and none of us spoke. I was too shy to ask him anything and I could kick myself now. He had retired from Formula 1 racing by then and was commentator for ABC Sports. I knew he was small, but standing close to him even I looked tall.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Master Oil Racing Team; 05-06-2008 at 10:51 AM. Reason: add info

Post Thanks / Like

Four days after we got back from Las Vegas, I talked with Steve Jones. He had met the day before with someone named Jan. I don't know whether this Jan was from the local television or affiliate or one of the radio broadcast people we were talking to. I didn't write that down because I knew at the time. Jan committed to live coverage of the heats, and a one hour special prior to the start. A writer for the Laredo newspaper planned on a series of articles leading up to the races as well as race coverage and results. Our contact man Elmer Grade had been in touch with Texas Governor Bill Clements people who said they would have the governor there for the trophy presentation.

Steve had also made contact with the Tequila Sauza people and we would hear about the Gatorade proposal in less than two weeks on December first.

Later that day I sent off letters to Dieter Konig, Reihardt Schultz from South Africa and Wilfried Weiland from Austria informing them of the race date of May 3 & 4, 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

Dieter called me a couple of days later with new dimensions for the 1979 48mm carb motor we bought. We had told him it wasn't performing like we thought. Marshall's old motor was still the best, but we were increasingly having plug fouling and leaking around the ports.

November 30 Steve and I discussed a one bouy turn at one end for the European drivers. And we talked about holding a calcutta across the border in Nuevo Laredo. More discussion about head shots of drivers without helmets, press info on each driver and it was confirmed that Governor Clements would be present.

Later on that day I talked to APBA Executive Director John Love. He had gotten together the by laws of UIM and some good background information for me so I could work up some stuff for the Pro-UIM Commission I was putting together.

December 1 had passed and I have no notes of the Gatorade proposal. I know they backed off, but I don't remember if we were strung out a little longer.

On December 7th, Hans Krage called to let me know that their Weltpokal international race was also scheduled for May 3rd and 4th in Berlin. He said they needed 4 weeks between races for the European drivers. They nearly always combine racing with a trip to the Bahamas. Hans suggested either the end of March to the first of April or at the end of June to the beginning of July. I told him I would send him plans of the layout of the course and we would work on moving the date up to the first of April. Hans would gather up some driver info to release to the press.

Later on that day Tom Jones called to have me contact Tim Butts to see about shipping an Aerowing to South Africa. In the next few days we called Dieter Konig, Leif Ahlborg, and Gert Lowisin---both from Sweden. I had a little trouble tracking Gert down and he told me that Volvo-Penta had finished outboard production at the number I first tried and it had been taken over by others.

We scheduled a Hydroplanes International meeting at Steve Jones' house over the weekend to draw up a contract and put together a form for drivers info for the calcutta.

Over the next several days I talked to World of Speed editor Harvey Shapiro, APBA's John Love, Leif Ahlborg, Tim Butts and Gerry Drake. Steve Jones said Tequila Sauza committed $2,000 and the City of Laredo wanted us back in tuxes for the George Washington day celebration to talk to some of the local dignitaries. The calcutta was confirmed with a portion of the proceeds going back to the drivers. Elmer Buckley was checking on confirmation of the Budweiser sound truck. I received a letter a few days later from Karel Krchnavg from Czechoslovakia regarding the OD World Championships.

On December 23 we held the Hydroplanes International meeting electing Steve Jones Commodore, Tim Butt Vice Commodore, Judy Jones Sec/Treas, Executive Director E.E. Baldwin, Elmer Grade East Coast Publicity, Wayne Baldwin International Publicity, Harry Pasturczak Inspector, Stanley Pasturczak Assistant Inspector, Jo Ann Ellis Chief Scorer, Lone Star Boat Racing scorers to assist, Jack Waite Officer of the Day, R. Allen Smith UIM Observer, Gerry Drake and Joe Rome members of the Jury. All APBA PRO/UIM Commission members would become Associate Members without voting rights.

In other news Steve said that the ABC local affiliate was syndicated throughout the U.S. and would be submitting their coverage. It was supposed to be filmed by some one, but I didn't write down who...only that Gerry Drake and Joe Rome were the racing experts selected to provide the "color". Texas Monthly asked us to send in a firm date. And so ended 1979 on a high note with the way the race was coming together.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Default Things began to unravel....

.....On January 7, 1980 Reinhardt Schulz from Johannisberg, South Africa told me he would not come unless Tom Jones was coming. I offered him a boat and he said it would make a difference when he talks to Tom. He said he would drop me a note on the discussion. I knew then they weren't coming. Tom had wanted an Aerowing for the "Sunshine Series" and it would end the week before the OD World Championships. While we are getting ready for the new season of racing, South Africans and Australians are in the middle of their racing season. There was no way Tim Butts could have built a boat and gotten it to Tim on time for the series as busy as he was.

I called Wilfried Wieland from Amstetten, Austria a couple of times but got no answer. In those days you had to call an international operator and give her (no hims then) the international code, country code, the city code, then the number. Then you would be on hold while all that was going on. If they reached the number you were calling, then you would be connected.

I was finally able to make a connection with Wilfried a couple of days later. Except it took another few turns.

I called the international operator and gave her the number. The person who answered didn't understand English. It was a person to person call to Wilfried Weiland so instead of cancelling my call the operator asked for Wilfried. The operator couldn't understand what the person picking up the phone was saying so I told her. The guy said he was going to find someone who knew what we were saying. I talked to the operator for a few minutes while we were waiting and told her about the boat race and Wilfried was a competitor we were trying to get to Texas to race. The guy who couldn't speak english came back and said that Wilfried would be here in a few minutes. I told the operator what he said, then we talked some more about boat racing. She was in the New York/New Jersey area if I remember right. At first she thought I may me saying something outside of a person to person call that the receiving end may get the message and hang up wihout me having to pay. After we talked for awhile she figured out that the call was honest. At this point I had been on the phone with her for about 10 minutes.

Then a guy that said he was Wilfried Weiland answered the phone. I talked to him in English and he said he didn't speak English. I told the operator that this wasn't the Wilfried Weiland I place a call to, but I had his business card and that was the correct number. I said I wanted to speak to the Wieland that raced boats. He knew who I meant. So the operator kept us all on the line and dialed up an operator in Germany that understood German/Austrian. Wilfried Weiland was on hold while the operator from America and the new one from Germany discussed what was going on and they had to ask me questions to make sure I wasn't pulling some trick. When the German operator was satisfied that it was a legitimate call she told the operator I had originally place the call with that she could drop off the line while the new operator would complete the call, the U.S. operator said "No...I want to hear what happens."

After the German operator starts talking to Wilfeid Weiland, she has to bring me in to answer some questions. As it turned out, there were two Wielfried Weilands in Amstetten, Austria and they were not related. The one I knew had just been sponsored by Citizen Quartz running a 700cc Konig on a catamaran and he made up a new bunch of cards. He had just moved or for some reason had a new address that he couldn't remember. Wilfried just called up the telephone company for his phone number and they gave him the number of the other established Wilfried Weiland. The business cards that Wilfried handed out had the other guy's phone number.

Post Thanks / Like

On January 11, I talked to Wilfried again. He said he was coming and made arrangements to fly his boat to Dallas, then he would drive down to our house. He said he would check with Erwin Zimmerman to see if he was coming.

Then I talked to Ralph Donald and Greg Hall later that day. Greg said he would talk up the race to get some of the Canadians to come. Several that had been very interested in what we were doing were Roy Alexander, Glenn Coates and Ric Hall. Greg said Ric was back with a "D".

Then I talked to someone at APBA and they informed me that the info was going out to APBA members that day. I also sent notices to 15 foreign racing organizations.

On the 16th I talked to Mel Kirts, John Love and for some reason I talked to Joy Gimbrone out of Tonawanda, NY about somethimg but didn't write it down. The next day Al Hart and Fred Jackson came to my Dad's house and we had a great time talking boat racing. My Dad cooked a fine meal and Al introduced Debbie and I to a fine California wine....Louis M. Martini Cabernet Sauvignon. He also brought with him a map of a race course for Bakersfield that had bouys laid out in a way that boats could get the maximum lap times because of the way they go through the turns. When they left the next day, they forgot the map and although I intended to get Al's address and send it to him, I never saw Al again. I still have the map somewhere.
    Last edited by Jeff Lytle; 05-08-2008 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Changed spelling to Roy Alexander

Post Thanks / Like

On the 21st of January we had a meeting with Steve Jones. We had the contract with the Elks Lodge of Laredo signed and a list of what they would provide. The arrangements were made for tables for each team and a large blackboard with all drivers names and boat numbers. The sound system was being confirmed and all the stuff needed to secure the pit area. In addition to prize money there would be trophies for 1st through 7 places for OD and 1st through 4th for the OB and OC Grand Prix races.

The Governor of Tampico had a gift from Mexico to present. The Europeans could get their passports validated for Mexico and the Mayors of both Laredos had guest cards for all the drivers and pit crews. Some Red Baron stunt pilot and a parachute team were going to perform during an intermission.

I sent out a bunch of press releases to magazines on this day. Then in the afternoon Joe Rome called to inform me that Louis Williams had the Western Divisionals at the Neches River Festival scheduled for the new date of the OD World. So Louis had to call Pro Chairman Mel Kirts to get it changed. We couldn't change our date again.

Then Tim Butts called to talk about the Pro Nationals at LaCrosse and the 700cc Pro Nationals at Dayton. We were awarded that race but Fred Petter didn't like the fact that 700 hydro wouldn't be at LaCrosse. There was something going on with the Canadian Boating Federation making some kind of changeover and we didn't know when a particular North American meeting might take place. Hydroplanes International planned to submit a bid for OD Continental Championships for OD to be held at LaCrosse during the Pro Nationals and OA,OB, and OC to be held at Alexandria.

There was a schedule problem with the date of the Pro Nationals at that time and there was a flurry of communications. Mel Kirts called and said the majority of the commissioners were for the original date set for the Nationals, but Bucky Makofski was upset about it. APBA President Mike Jones got brought into it and we called Fred Schletty. It was too late to change the date of the nationals. Fred was involved with something called Pro Spirit America. We told him about our North American Championships and he liked the idea. Fred Petter was hot until Fred Schletty told him what we were planning, then he was O.K. with it.Hydroplanes International would add to the prize money at LaCrosse and pay the UIM sanction fees. We would run 4 heats, with 3 to count. Two heats each day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    On the 16th I talked to Mel Kirts, John Love and for some reason I talked to Joy Gimbrone out of Tonawanda, NY about somethimg but didn't write it down.
    Joy's husband Joe was a member of the North American Championship Commitee at the time. I know this cause' my Dad was a member of the NACC too.

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff...you continue to amaze me how you can take the simplest clue and come up with the answer. I had remembered the Gimbrone's as big time inboard racers and I couldn't figure a connection. That was it. Our quest for the North American Championships.

On the 24th of January Harry Splettstosser called. Harry was head of the Berlin chapter of ADAC, the German motorsports organization. He said the German boats would arrive in Houston on April 5th. That same day I mailed out a UIM calendar to all the PRO-UIM Commission members. A few days later Harry called back to tell me Werner Zappe and Ranier Bisterfeld were coming along with Dieter Konig and Hans Krage. They were going to arrive in Houston the Friday before Easter. Jack Waite would take them on a tour of NASA if they so wished.

On the 30th Jim McKean called to say that there would be no Japanese coming. We were sorry to hear that, but it was no surprise as Yamato didn't have 700cc motors.

On February 2 there was a meeting at Baytown between Joe Rome, Buddy Aylor, Jim McKean, my Dad and myself regarding the Western Divisionals at Beaumont. It would be held the week after Laredo in order to help conserve gas. Drivers heading back up north and east could get in one more race on the way home. The following day the annual Lone Star Boat Racing Association meeting was held.

February 5 I sent a letter to Fred Schletty regarding the North American Championships with cc to Mel Kirts and Pro commission members.

Post Thanks / Like

February 21 Steve Jones and I had a meeting and press conference with Elmer Buckley at the Hamilton Hotel in Laredo. Present were Bill Bolen-Laredo Times, Paul ? local ABC TV affiliate, Byron Maxwell-Southwestern Bell who would set up a communications center for the press--both national and international, Carlos Villereal who was contact with Tequila Sauza, and Emmet ? local radio station, David Sanchez--Rio Grande Mall, Chuck Sneider--Tourist Council. We were getting things nailed down. Then we attended a reception at the Civic Center Convention Hall. The city officials and people of Laredo really knew how to make visitors welcome. The next day we met with the Elks Lodge members to go over details such as refreshments, toilets, ambulances, pick up boats, communications, electric power, publicity,bouys, etc.

There were some diverse notes I found on the page of February 27th, Bill Beatty called and said there was a race at Morgan City, Louisiana the weekend following the race at Laredo. I think it was an inboard race and I am puzzled as to why he called me. Then Tim called and asked me to get him a drum of methanol. Another person, maybe Bill Van Steenwyk called and told me that Harry Pasturczak had been in a car wreck the previous Wednesday and would not be able to do anything for five to six weeks. And finally, Elmer Buckley got a committment from Tequila Sauza for $6,000. The next day I received entries from Hans Krage, Wilhelm Dickoff, Manfred Richter and Karl Pavel--all from West Germany. The day after that I got word that 4 drivers were coming from the northeast including George Andrews. The others weren't mentioned, but I believe one must have been John Yale. Also Henry Shakeshaft said he was coming.

Thread Information