Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262753 ... LastLast

Thread: An Amazing Story: Part 2

Post Thanks / Like

Default 77' Alex----Alky in the wind!

Great pictures Wayne. Brings back lots of memories. I was 11 years old at that 77' race in Alex and must be somewhere in the Novice 350 photo. Dan Kirts asked me to drive Jim Kirt's boat since he didn't come to the race that Oct.

I remember 4 or 5 boats jumping the start the first heat and I was the first legal boat. Took a 5th in the second heat to win the race by 2 points overall.

You wrote an article about it in the December 77' Powerboat magizine that I still have clippings from in a scrap book somewhere.

Seems like a different lifetime but still a lot of familiar faces.

Thanks,
    Chris Hellsten

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have that article Chris, and I am putting together in a scrapbook that will contain all the stories I did for Powerboat. I started doing that more than two years ago, but unfortunately I keep mixing stuff up to post here on BRF. I was looking for it a couple of days ago. I don't know if you remember, but you signed the pic that was in Powerboat for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the pic. I knew exactly where it was, but I don't know why the article isn't where the others are. I was looking for it because I lost the notes I had in my "reporters" note book and only had some scattered remnants I wrote in a log. Anything you have to add would be great Chris. BTW are you coming to DePue. Respond in the roll call. You and your family need to be there.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Who says boat racing gets in your blood? That pic of Chris is a fine example, and I too remember that article from Powerboat.

NB--Greg Hall's trailer right behind him with an Aerowing on the bunk.

Chris.........I remember when we raced in Canandaguia NY, you sister, Mom and Dad were being interviewed for a TV show. I can't remember the name of it right now, but do you still have a copy?

I ran C Service Runabout there on the Saturday, and Pete told me if I got my butt out of bed early enough on Sunday morning, He'd let my run his C Service Hydro. Well.........long story short, It was a fine party on Saturday night, and your Mom was in charge of registration. I arrived late and she made me a spectator for the day!

I have memories of your family from the 70's when you still lived in NY. Remember you all arrived at the races with a camper on the back of Dad's pick up. Chris, in those days was a fine racer too........I remember him spending hours during the day, pulling around a wooden hydro on a string making Konig noises!

Post Thanks / Like

Thats also a nice pic of the "half A" What do you do with a Konig FA once a rod breaks the block?, cut the bad part off and make a 125cc engine!

I had one too, but we broke the top cylinder, used the good bottom cylinder. We flipped the cylinder so the exhaust was on the left and the intake was on the right.
    Had I known 1984 was going to be my peak year, I would have tried harder

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne,

Thanks for posting. I know my family will get a kick out of this. I sent an e-mail to my sister to make sure my 3 nephews who have been racing with me and her for the past 3 or 4 years get a chance to see this stuff. Even they will find it hard to believe that a 40 year old still racing has been enjoying this passion for 32 years.....

I scanned what I had in my scrap book. I must have cut the article out of the magizine "back in the day"!

Chris
    Last edited by Mark75H; 04-21-2007 at 08:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Next to greatness!

Hey Wayne I found the newspaper article from the 77' Alex race!
    Last edited by Mark75H; 04-21-2007 at 08:09 AM.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Jeff

The show was " We're Moving" with host Willie Ames from Eight is Enough. We still have a copy of the tape. We found it when my Dada passed away and laughed our butts off!!

Kristi

Post Thanks / Like

Kristi...I hope you are coming to DePue. And so...........can you bring a copy to show?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have results of any other drivers in heat one of 700 hydro besides the first two. Jerry Kirst 1st and Rex Hall 2nd.

After we didn't get the ground wire fixed in time, I did the next best thing and got my camera and got a few shots. But only these two. This was one of 9 second place finishes by Rex Hall. Rex did win one heat of 1100 hydro and with a second place, he won that championship.

Rex was overall high point champion at Alex this year with a little over 3600 points. Jerry Kirts, who was the 700 hydro champion was high point hydro champion and second highest behind Rex with 2500 points.

Thread Information