Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: An Amazing Story: Part 2

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

After our meal, we went to Carlos & Charlie's or someplace like that to discuss the next day's races. We had a problem getting horsepower out of our motors. We didn't originally have a plan. We were just going to have fun and duke it out on the race course. Now, we had to put on a good show but we were down as much as 20 miles per hour or more. We liked the idea of more races in Acapulco. It was beautiful, relaxing and good food and entertainment. If we could get their interest, maybe we would be put on the program for a full race program for a couple of classes.

The speeds were way off, so we decided instead of showing how fast the 700cc motors could run, we would dice back and forth down the straights and into the turns. The lead boats would have to back off so the others could challenge. Maybe the spectators wouldn't notice the lack of speed because of the intense competition. They didn't have anything to compare to the speed we were capable of anyway, so that's what we decided to do.

Early the next morning as we were just getting ready to prepare to head to the race course and do our exhibition, Artie gave me a call. He said the sink in his bathroom just fell out onto the floor and cracked. He wanted me to take a picture. I had to laugh when I looked at it. A typical Pro racer's bathroom with the batteries on charge.

One thing I always remembered from that morning that helped put things into perspective for me was a comment from one of Artie's pit men. It was the first and only race I ever saw him. I just put on a pair of jeans when I went to the room to take the pic. Afterwards, all the guys were standing out on the balcony admiring the view, and some were drinking coffee. It was a cool morning and we were all excited about the upcoming race. Artie's young pit man was about 18. He asked me "How old are you?" I thought a minute and said "Thirty two." He replied "I hope I am in that good of a shape when I'm that old." Up until then, I had never thought of how old I was getting. It kind of took me back when I remembered how bummed out my cousin was when Bob Dylan turned thirty.. Funny how some little things stick in your brain.

We got into our uniforms shortly, and our guide (maybe his name was Guillermo) took us to the pits.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

We left everything rigged up and covered up overnight. We were assured nothing would happen to our equipment. After the demonstration of the armed guards yesterday, we were sure that they were right. Now it was time for racing.

Some of the racers from Mexico we met were Phillip Mercier, who I think drove a flatbottom, Guillermo Dominguez in a tunnel (his Dad Alfredo was the new VP of FMM), and Carlos Garcia. Carlos was putting on a water ski exhibition. He owned a resort somewhere between Acapulco and Mexico City. Kind of dumb that we never went there to check it out.

Free Spirit Racing Team wboxell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

wayne, how did the merc/loop run compaired to the konig? same speed loss? thanks bill

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know any exact speed loss Bill, but it was significant. Unfortunately, I don't know how to contact any of the other people that were there for their recollections of how their particular rigs ran. I think the Merc/Quincy fared the worst though. The next part will be the first heat.

Post Thanks / Like

We were pitted at the sand beach with the Pacific at our back. The OPC and flatbottoms were to our right and further up the beach along the front straight. The launching ramp was coming out of turn four. When we left the pits, we had a straight shot down the front straightaway. It was a clock start. There was a lot of good milling room. The race course was good. It was a mile and a quarter or thereabouts with the same kind of turns we were used to.

The wind kicked up though and the backstraight and especially around turn 3 bouy got a little rough for us. It wasn't bad for the other racers.

We all lined up for the start, but at a much lower speed than we should have. I took the inside lane and accelerated to the first pin. The others never caught up. I didn't want to back off too much and load up and drop a cylinder or two so I just cruised around. It was the first time all of us had been out together, and there was no way the others could match my speed. The difference was, I was the only one to have CD ignition. The others had coils and points, and Charlie had his distributor. The motors just had no power. Our plan didn't work at this point. We just did a merry-go-round. So much for impressing the Mexican spectators. We couldn't pull off the type of competition that we planned on.

Without having anyone challenge me for the lead, I began feeling the pounding I was gettin on the back straight and bottom turn. On the front straight I could open up in clean water, but I began to dread going down the back straight. It wasn't really THAT bad, but I kind of got to where I wasn't feeling that great. I was having to tighten up my stomach muscles for the pounding, and I had only raced this boat at the Western Divisionals at Beaumont where we loaded it up to come to Acapulco. I was just getting a feel for the boat. I later came to really like what it could do, but just then I was ready for the first heat to be over.

Post Thanks / Like

I got very nauseated and finally threw up before the second heat, then I felt good to go back out. Back in the days when I used to travel, I went all over the U.S. and traveled in 9 other countries without ever having tourista problems. They didn't have little bottles of water to take with you either. That was the only time I ever had such a situation suddenly come on me.

The second heat, we all got a start and Artie took the lead down the back straight. I held back, then caught back up to him in on the front straight and through the turn then he took the lead back over. We played cat and mouse like that the whole time. Steve and Charlie just couldn't keep in the picture. On the back straights I would strain and hold my breath when I was pounding the waves. Had I been able to go faster, I think it wouldn't have been as bad. I think it was on about the third lap when I took a deep breath and tightened my stomach muscles, that suddenly Montezuma had his revenge.. What a blow to my dignity. However, I kept racing. I was wanting to show the crowd just how fast one of our small boats would go even though we were far off from our normal top speed. I held back longer coming out of turn 4 then got on the throttle and pulled the pipes so I could be going as fast as the boat could run at the finish line. It would only go about 90, and for a little bit, I thought I had misjudged. I barely caught up with and passed Artie at the finish with only about a boat length to spare.

When I got back to the pits, I just rolled out of the cockpit and into the water. I didn't have any spare clothes, so I needed to lounge around in the water awhile. I told one of the pitmen or drivers why I couldn't get out just yet. So Judy or Irma got me some crackers and a Coke or Sprite along with some pill and I took my time before getting out. Irma did me the courtesy of snapping a pic.

David_L6

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    ....I don't know how to contact any of the other people that were there for their recollections of how their particular rigs ran.
    Artie is still in San Antonio.

Charlie Blackwood died (on the way to a race at Alex) a few years ago.

Edit: Artie's daughter's e-mail: dlund44@yahoo.com
    Last edited by David_L6; 07-10-2008 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Added e-mail address

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mexico

Great pictures Wayne

Artie and Steve tried to get me to go down but I just could not get away.
    Artie toll me all about the trip later but it’s great to see the pictures.

Stan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    I think it was on about the third lap when I took a deep breath and tightened my stomach muscles, that suddenly Montezuma had his revenge.. What a blow to my dignity. .
    Wayne,

Just think how much more comfortable you would have been in a capsule boat. You could have probably rigged it with flip-up top and a dump tank!!

I have heard drivers say that I nearyl s^#t my pants, after a close call!!!

Sorry, I could not resist!! Thanks for sharing this story!!

Post Thanks / Like

The thing I would worry about though is that you are strapped into a capsule. What if you got upside down? The law of gravity always works if you are not in space. Other than the ones who were there in Acapulco, no one else ever knew until today David.

Thread Information