Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 56 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272854 ... LastLast

Thread: An Amazing Story: Part 2

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: the double exposure of N-48 and N-66

Wayne:

Seeing that shot reminds me of something that took place at Alex that year involving the two in the double exposure and Stan Leavendusky Jr. AKA "Butch". Butch had gotten a new design DeSilva runabout of the same style as Bruce Nicholson's "Miss Laurie" because Bruce's boat ran so well and
    was always the class of the large runabouts. Unfortionately, for whatever reason, except for finally winning the C runabout championship with it at Ackworth, Butch was not overly successful with it except for one thing. It liked to pitch him about 50 feet right out the side, sometimes for absolutely no reason anyone could figure out. Anyone who knows or knew Butch at that time would know that if there was anything he was, it was STUBBORN, not for the least of reasons that he had to face his "old man" Stanley Sr., when he came back in from a heat. He worked long nights on the bottom of the boat, getting advice from everyone he knew to cure the boat of that bad habit, and went to Alex that year with high hopes. This has now been 30 years ago so if some parts of the story are a little vague as to detail, the main thrust of it is true, so on with the tale. Butch went to the first turn with the rest of the group in the first heat in good shape and either at the first pin or the second the boat unloaded him big time. Fortunately, nothing hurt too bad that some duct tape and a good drying out of the engine wouldn't cure so everybody pitched in to get him out the next time, including the two from NY in the double exposure picture. Next heat was a rerun of the first time with him again being tossed out, this time thru the cockpit side as he was really hanging on this time. Pulled him in again and he wasn't really anxious to try to go out again, as he had reinjured a shoulder that he had hurt a couple of years earlier, and the boat was in much worse shape this time also. The two from NY would not hear of another heat without Butch though, and with them teasing and egging him on and helping with more duct tape and whatever else could be done to get him back out for the third time, he made it out again. They always say "third time is the charm" It was for Butch, as the third time he really busted his arse as some of the duct tape repairs let loose and the boat came apart in the first turn again, this time not to be repaired on the lake bank, or the driver either. I don't think anybody laughed longer and louder than the the two from NY and Butch still talks about that to this day whenever he picks up something wrong with that arm and shoulder. He was the typical "hard headed Polock" when he was racing and proud of it, and a hell of a driver also. He has also been one of my closest friends since the late 60's.

Just talked to him earlier in the week and he is looking forward to the DePue reunion.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I had though I had some pics of Butch in his DeSilva but I didn't. Incidentally, this is the same race where Todd's Wild Ride and Here's One For Cookie both appear in the splash section.

I don't remember anything in particular about heat 2 of 700 hydro, and no notes to stir my memory. I don't even have the complete results. Most of my 1977 stuff is missing, so this is all I know about 700 hydro. Jerry won the second heat also and was the champion. I finished second behind Jerry and Pete Voss ended up third. I don't have Rex Hall's position in the second heat, but if I were to guess, I would think he was second overall in 700 hydro unless Pete got two thirds and Rex was 5th or more.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Post Thanks / Like

Well...I did find partial results of the 700cc hydro.

Heat one
    1 Jerry Kirts
    2 Rex Hall, Jr.
    3. Trebor Billiter
    4 Pete Voss
    5. Tim Crimmins

Heat two
    1 Jerry Kirts
    2 Wayne Baldwin
    3 Pete Voss
    4 Mel Kirts
    5 Rex Hall, Jr.

I don't remember 5th place points, but I think that still puts Rex ahead of Pete. In the first contact sheet of Trebor Billiter, I think that might be Pete on the inside. And Mel in the other frame.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    ....I don't remember 5th place points,......
    Wayne,
    I think points are based on 75% of the next higher place

1st 400
    2nd 400 * .75 = 300
    3rd 300 * .75 = 225
    4th 225 * .75 = 169
    5th 169 * .75 = 127

Of course I could be completely full of crap, it wouldn't be the first time....

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dave. I was thinking 5th was around 125, but looks like you got it right. I never knew that was how the point system came about. (Or could it be I just forgot???

Post Thanks / Like

Default The pits at Baldy's

This is the final race for us in 1977 at my Dad's house in Barbon Estates on Lake Corpus Christi. It looks like the water is down about three feet, but we still have plenty of room to race in this cove. I set the bouys out a couple of days earlier. Johnny and Liz Dortch came in from Missouri a day earlier to have some time to visit with us before things got going.

It was a long season and I guess a lot of racers were tired. Only 30 drivers showed up for this final one of 1977. It was held on October 29 and 30. Some of the racers may have been afraid that it would be blown out, but late September and October are great for racing in South Texas.

In the spring, the wind blows like hell. We have to start testing at daylight and by 9 its usually getting too rough. Most of the alky circuit is running hot and heavy throughout the summer all across the U.S. From mid July through mid September there is a threat from hurricanes--not to mention the heat. The late fall timing will usually be calm and mild temperatures. Like in the 80's . If a norther does come, the next day is perfect. So that's why we always raced in late September or into October. This was the Texas State Championships--a dual sanction--Lone Star and APBA.

Sadly----as it turned out---this would be the last race we ever held at my Dad's place.

Post Thanks / Like

As the field was less than what we expected there wasn't much competition in the big classes, so I cruised to an easy Texas State Championship with two wins in 700 hydro.

Post Thanks / Like

One class that had enough boats for a good show was the Formula 350 hydro class. Among the contestants were three ladies who put on a good show. The winner was Eileen Van Steenwyk from Festus, Mo. In one heat she was battling with rookie Mike Howard whose flip is posted in the Splash section. I forget which title.

The first pic is Eileen.

Second The future Mrs. Denny Henderson--Lizzie. and pit crew L-R Troy Dunn, (I forget name) Lizzie's mentor Steve Jones behind her.

Third Marsha Thompson driver L-R Jim McKean, Craig Lawrence (cranking), Doug Doering.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pits at Baldys

Wayne,

The top picture is either '76 or '77. Of the three hydros sitting side by side, the one in the middle (T-37) is the first "A" boat I ever built, in 1974. The (86) boat was the third boat I built in '76, Richard Frye bought it but never even took a ride in it. Troy Dunn bought the first boat and ran a 350 Piston Port Yamato on it. He later built his own hydro, with help from Craig Lawrence. The T-80 was a Novis 350 boat that Craig built for Al Davis's girlfriend, Marsha.
    Man those were the days. I had a good job with a great company, but the only reason I worked was so I'd have enough money to race boats.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Denny. These are all pics from the final race at Baldy's in 1977. While this thread is primarily the odyssey of Marshall's old D motor, I have been bringing up points of interest that happened at the races along the way. As the 700 hydro heats weren't interesting, the Formula 350 (or Service 350 as it may have been called back then) and the 350 hydro races were worth commenting on. Next up is that heat we talked about a couple of weeks ago, so after I post some pictures and stuff, maybe you could make some commentary.

Thread Information