Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: An Amazing Story: Part 2

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I never knew Malcolm to run a 700 Dave. If he did, it was after my time. I have tried to figure out who the two guys on the trailer were, but I can't. All I can name at this time that raced was myself, Tim Butts, John Yale, Jerry Peterson, Bruce Marioneaux, and Greg Hall. I have a pic at the podium that has a driver I can't identify yet. At this time some of the drivers were interested in what we were doing and in the OD or 700 hydro class, they were numbering their boats in the international way....just a number. Tim's boat was 71...mine was 73 with a very small T in front, Greg's was 169 although I always remembered it as 153. The Canadians boats were numbered UIM style. So there is not a letter designation in front of the 18 to get and idea of where the boat was from.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

[

...No. 18. I can't figure out who it is and I haven't been able to find a roster of drivers.

Wayne, No. 18 is Rick Saver, Shoreview Minnesota

Post Thanks / Like

Of course Brian. I had completely forgotten about Rick. I think I met him at that race. He was a professional hockey player. Young, tall, thin blonde with shoulders as wide as the cockpit. He was a very nice guy. I have some pics of him that he sent to me back in the 80's. I will try to find them.

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Hardin's

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_E71 View Post
    Was Malcolm Harden running a 700 at that time?
    I do not recall Mal ever racing 700cc. I recall about this time or soon after, they got sold the 500 equipment, as Tom thought that the engine capabilities were too much for the boats of the time and that accidents were likely to be more serious in nature.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    Tim's boat was 71...mine was 73 with a very small T in front, Greg's was 169 although I always remembered it as 153. The Canadians boats were numbered UIM style.
    The #169 boat was Roy Alexander'a 700.........As I recall, Greg flew up from Florida and drove for Roy. #153 was always Greg's number on his own boats.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    I do not recall Mal ever racing 700cc. I recall about this time or soon after, they got sold the 500 equipment, as Tom thought that the engine capabilities were too much for the boats of the time and that accidents were likely to be more serious in nature.
    You're right David, that wasn't long after the nationals at Hinton, correct?

Post Thanks / Like

Default If memory serves me...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_E71 View Post
    You're right David, that wasn't long after the nationals at Hinton, correct?

Hinton was 1977. I remember Mal driving a brand new Yale 500 that was a beautiful boat and probably would have been built around 1980 or so. I believe they got out of the 500 class around 1982-1984.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    Bruce Marioneaux is checking out the set up on his Butts
    Looks more like a Yale to me See the afterplanes and the transom angle?

Post Thanks / Like

I never looked in detail at a Yale Jeff, but the handles at the transom are like Tim used on the boats with an afterplane. Also, when we lowered the cog with shorter towers, Tim put a more sever angle transom in. And the coaming (it that the correct name?) on the cockpit look straight rather than arched. I could be wrong though, but check the handles in the pit shot of my boat also. Maybe Gary can fill in on what I have heard about the Mariouneaux's boat shop. I've been told that there is a greater collection of Butts Aerowings there than anyplace in the world. Some have never been run.

I found these prints, but I may never find the color negatives I took at Dayton. I still have them, but there are thousands, and after Dayton, I quit filing my pictures where I could find them. I may stumble across a few more prints though. The first is Tim Butts. Next is Joe Ann Ellis and Joe Rome, probably looking at a kill switch. Another shot of Bruce Marioneaux and a shot of the afterplane that looks like a Butts. and finally Tim Butts helping Rick Saver get out of the pits. Did you drive at this race Brian, or were you just helping Rick?
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Master Oil Racing Team; 08-19-2008 at 08:33 AM. Reason: discovery

Post Thanks / Like

Yup..............It's a Butts! Unmistakeable when viewed at that angle----My Bad!

Thread Information