Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: An Amazing Story: Part 2

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate your words Bill. It has been a lot of fun looking back at what went on and reading some of the comments of those that were there that remember stuff that I forgot. The thread has adjusted in content as we went along, and had I known how it was going to proceed in the beginning, I would have included a lot more of the non racers that make our sport work and more sideline anecdotes. But overall its been fun. Still a little bit left to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wayne

Tubby here-
    Love the story, great so see the old pictures. Ah the past, I was just telling my brother the other day if I could do it over I would- hmmm never mind, it was swell just the way it was. Tubby

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey Tubby.........

.......I'm gettin' close to the the end of this story. There are still some missing pieces that you can maybe filll in. But until then I appreciate your input and one of your insights to me regardiing your situations at the time I was trying to capture this motor was one of the most hilarious I had ever heard. I hope things are going good with you and Jason, and if you guys ever head toward South Padre Island, stop by for a visit.

Post Thanks / Like

Seeing the pic of the boat in a box got me to thinking about maps. Here's a link to a sat image of where I think the Konig factory was. It's actually a little below the green arrow on the right side of the road, the building that sets back from the roadway. I can see the shed in the back where Gary and I found enough scrap foam from imported Tomos outboards to make an ice chest for one of our euro trips.

If you went testing, which we did, you rolled your boat "up" from the factory, across Saatwinkler Damm and tested on the canal. It's much narrower than it looks in the image.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...&t=k&z=18&om=1
    Had I known 1984 was going to be my peak year, I would have tried harder

Post Thanks / Like

I did a current search on the address ... seems like its a welding/metal fabrication shop now.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default You're right Eric.......

.....that next parking lot down from the arrow---if you were driving, you would turn left into the front parking lot. AND especially right about the canal being a lot narrower than it looks. There is a funny story that Steve Litzell told Joe and I at the Reunion about that canal that I will post soon. And stay tuned for pics from the Konig factory because Debbie and I left three days after this Western Divisionals at Marine Creek Lake to fly to Berlin.

As David previously mentioned the water was a little choppy, but it got better. This is a part of Texas that gets ripped with violent storms during the summer. It is not quite as bad as the more northern parts of Texas, but the weather anywhere in Texas can change within 30 minutes. But for the most part the weather calmed down quite a bit for racing and the racers were pushing it. There turned out to be more than a couple that got their tennies wet and for some reason, most were at the starting line. The rescue team was busy that weekend.

Pics. First is Pete DeLackner, a California transplant, who happened to live only a two minute or so drive from the race course. The rescue boat coincidentally is a 17' Mustang built by Pete. He built a 15' and a 17' which he called sleds. They were excellent boats but they didn't catch on. They should be collector items.

2 Rescue team

3 Tony Byron went over at the start

4 Lyndol Reid did some kind of didos at the start.

5 Not sure who this is at the start, but maybe Red Hamilton.

6 Doug Doering waving before going out

7 Doug moments later--Johnny Dortch in Y 99

8 "Lil" Ray Yates in a turn. Butch Leavendusky spun in the same turn, but the pic was too blurry.

ADD: the color pic of T88 is another of Doug Doering. He was a professional photographer from Dallas. He and his wife Patty dove headlong into racing, but I think this blowover cooled him down too much. They were great people and helped us a lot with publicity stills for our advertising. It was sad to lose such good friends from the circuit.
    Attached Images Attached Images          

Post Thanks / Like

Now would be a good time for me to re-iterate my description of a runabout.

RUNABOUT : noun & verb- Run about so far and tip over.

Coincidence? I think not.
    Had I known 1984 was going to be my peak year, I would have tried harder

Post Thanks / Like

That's been my experience as well Eric. Looking at those pics of Doug Doering I'm wondering.....Do you think he was putting the finger on me for jinxing him with that first photo of him waving from the pits.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what's with the first pic. Maybe someone else can remember. I don't believe I ever saw a motor come off the transom of a boat that wasn't upside down, torn up, or half sunken. I don't recognize the boat or driver.

Second pic, all but one boat was a rookie. It was a good year for rookies in Texas. I'm guessing Eileen Van Steenwyk Y888 and JC McDonough were the only legal ones in this pic. Bobby Dean Wilson is in 25T with his right arm up and Lizzie Henderson on the inside.

We had the sleeved down "F" Konig running in the 700 hydro race. I don't have any of the race results but the few notes I had show a 4th place in 700 hydro and that one sleeve was still leaking. So I am thinking we went out in one heat and found that we were unable to cure the ongoing problem with the leak so stayed in the pits for the second heat.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like Larry Conners from Oklahoma. O-41.

Thread Information