Quote Originally Posted by Lee Sutter View Post
I love reading all this stuff... And, I have a comment and a question.

I was told by a very reliable source that OMC did build a good 2 liter V-6 (late '70's and had it running well enough where they thought they could beat the V-6 ON Mercs. They still got beat. the remaining parts were boats, props and drivers. What do you guys think the problem was? If you want, I can get more information on the timeframe and location of the race/s.

Jackie, Why didn't the Cosworth type project take off?? I think it could have worked. Someone builds a sterndrive and hooks it up to automotive racing engine that has about + hp 400 HPwith lots of torque and turns 10,000 RPM. It seems to me that this would open the door to the automotive monies that are being spend in lots of circuits world wide. Yes... I've seen the one recently on the Youtube.
This way, maybe if could be a real formula program and even incorporate a lease program from the engine manufactuers.Even sealed engines.

Just a thought as I try get my butt to sleep..
Hiya Lee, i would lay money on the fact OMC had a very good 2 liter motor, even they wouldn't have been crazy enough to go the Koenig route-------one offs whenever they wanted to-----was enough to scare the pants off Mercury every time they showed with one--was always competitive till it broke---which was quite often-------it's cobblers to state they never had a 2 liter.

The project was my own idea along with Duckworth---when you think that a Keith Black engine was $12,500---$15,000 and the Cosworth was £25,000 as a straight sale from the factory-----that was a big difference in those days. The big factor being ---the cossie would run 24 competition hrs non stop @10,000 RPM--------i used 8,500 all the time.

Duckworth did bring a fair bit of trick stuff to the project like the centrifugal clutch and the quill drive shaft which made it a beautiful package to work on.

Cosworth and Ilmor do a lease program and Ilmor have their very own drive unit-don't know how it's turning out but life is very interesting.