Thread: Jackie Wilson..

Hybrid View

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a tech question about the F-1 V-8 tunnel boats that you guys might can shed some light on. All of those oversize tunnels that were built for the V-8's had FLAT top decks. Now, I race RC tunnel boats and the flat deck principle just don't work. Without any "droop" in the front half of the deck and some taper in the rear half, our RC race boats will not stay on the water. Kinda like slinging a sheet of plywood into the wind, once the angle goes positive it turns skyward. Did these boats have so much power that they just kept the boats on the water with neutral or negative prop trim?

Jackie, I have a copy of the racing history book by Kevin Desmond and enjoyed reading your stories about the Cosworth boat!

Mark
    Outboard Model Concepts
    RC Mod-VP hulls
    Distributor for HTB Tunnels

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Poole View Post
    I have a tech question about the F-1 V-8 tunnel boats that you guys might can shed some light on. All of those oversize tunnels that were built for the V-8's had FLAT top decks. Now, I race RC tunnel boats and the flat deck principle just don't work. Without any "droop" in the front half of the deck and some taper in the rear half, our RC race boats will not stay on the water. Kinda like slinging a sheet of plywood into the wind, once the angle goes positive it turns skyward. Did these boats have so much power that they just kept the boats on the water with neutral or negative prop trim?

Jackie, I have a copy of the racing history book by Kevin Desmond and enjoyed reading your stories about the Cosworth boat!

Mark
    Sorry Mark whilst i am not a boatbuilder --seems to me the more power you got the further forward you sat and the angle of dangle was reduced so the lump did not waste any horsepower pushing you back down------heard some wonderful variations on the curves and twists in a tunnel ---Double diahedral ----s tunnel----double s tunnel. Think the idea was to put as little curve in the deck that it didn't snap at you all of a sudden -------but not too much 'cos you would have a slower boat----------------how's that for a bit of bulls--t baffling brains ???????????

Kevin D has another good book---A CENTURY OF OUTBOARD RACING------

He was like a ferret trying to find all the info he could from all sources.
    Bedford Davies helped him with the cost of publishing.

Thread Information