Thread: Jackie Wilson..

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quite all right John, and you are correct mostly. I was born in Alice, Texas Jackie, and we first raced under Alice Specialty, then CB Racing Team, and later and mostly under Master Oil Racing team. Master Oil and Alice Specialty were both located in Alice. We later moved to Corpus Christi, Texas and my Dad EE "Baldy" Baldwin bought 534 acres of land on the lake with a partner to develop a lakeside subdivision. The real reason he was interested in the property was because it was perfect for outboard racing. I still live there and have lived on the lake mostly since 1970. My Dad Baldy was the prime force in getting UIM outboard racing in the U.S. during modern times.

I had seen the gentleman Ulrich in Karlshaven racing on the Weser River in West Germany a few months before Valleyfield. I concluded then that he must be very wealthy and that he was more like a gentleman racer that preferred to be with the racing crowd with an antique hydro than to be competitive.

I am 99.3 percent that I have a picture of your boat. It is a black & white photo so I can't give you the color. Fuel tank cap is about eighteen inches behind the cockpit centered on a white stripe. Looks like a vertical stabilizer on either side of the cockpit on the deck back at the transom. They are about a foot high and three feet long. Number looks like 4, and there is a smaller than regulation British flag at the rear of the starboard stabilizer. Looks like side draft carbs.

And I talked to Joe this morning John, and he is doing very well. His daughter Christi is a very high muckety muck in Texas education and deals everyday with the significant legislation and politics in Texas Education. He was telling me about the ruckus on the floor the other day. She knows all the players, and has had significant impact on what happens to all our school districts, etc.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    Quite all right John, and you are correct mostly. I was born in Alice, Texas Jackie, and we first raced under Alice Specialty, then CB Racing Team, and later and mostly under Master Oil Racing team. Master Oil and Alice Specialty were both located in Alice. We later moved to Corpus Christi, Texas and my Dad EE "Baldy" Baldwin bought 534 acres of land on the lake with a partner to develop a lakeside subdivision. The real reason he was interested in the property was because it was perfect for outboard racing. I still live there and have lived on the lake mostly since 1970. My Dad Baldy was the prime force in getting UIM outboard racing in the U.S. during modern times.

I had seen the gentleman Ulrich in Karlshaven racing on the Weser River in West Germany a few months before Valleyfield. I concluded then that he must be very wealthy and that he was more like a gentleman racer that preferred to be with the racing crowd with an antique hydro than to be competitive.

I am 99.3 percent that I have a picture of your boat. It is a black & white photo so I can't give you the color. Fuel tank cap is about eighteen inches behind the cockpit centered on a white stripe. Looks like a vertical stabilizer on either side of the cockpit on the deck back at the transom. They are about a foot high and three feet long. Number looks like 4, and there is a smaller than regulation British flag at the rear of the starboard stabilizer. Looks like side draft carbs.

And I talked to Joe this morning John, and he is doing very well. His daughter Christi is a very high muckety muck in Texas education and deals everyday with the significant legislation and politics in Texas Education. He was telling me about the ruckus on the floor the other day. She knows all the players, and has had significant impact on what happens to all our school districts, etc.
    That's my boat Wayne------you described the Hodges--------there was only one of those ever raced in Valleyfield.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, maybe that can be my inspiration to figure out how to post pictures again on this website Jackie. I'm not going the cloud route though. I don't understand where the stuff hides out, so I don't trust it. WOW! It worked. This is the contact sheet Jackie. Now I can scan the negative for a better picture. You and your boat are far left 4th frame down.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Master Oil Racing Team; 05-30-2017 at 12:07 PM. Reason: it worked

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wayne, sorry to tell you, it's not me on the far left (as far as I can tell). It's not the best picky I ever saw ------but keep taking the tablets--------it can only get better-------and thanks a bundle for trying.

Post Thanks / Like

It's hard to tell who's who Jackie.....especially the frames are so small and you have to cock your head around. I was using this contact sheet merely as a test to see if I could post pictures again. Didn't want to waste my time otherwise. Tomorrow, if I'm here, I will scan the negative and post it where you can really see it.....then tell me who it is racing under the flag of the UK.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    It's hard to tell who's who Jackie.....especially the frames are so small and you have to cock your head around. I was using this contact sheet merely as a test to see if I could post pictures again. Didn't want to waste my time otherwise. Tomorrow, if I'm here, I will scan the negative and post it where you can really see it.....then tell me who it is racing under the flag of the UK.
    I don't ever remember any other English men racing at Valleyfield in the Seventies-------I think I would have remembered!
    Hydro boys were a different breed to the runabouts, Lowestoft was the only club that ran both, although I'm sure Lancashire and South Staffs will tell you different.
    Got to know a lot of the old hydro racers--------Paddy Rolfe, Pip Wiley, Len Melly, Andy Chessman and the likes, great people and all legends in their own time!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not getting into it with the hydros------I have no knowledge of the sport at all------just some of the characters.
    UIM gave the hydros the O classes as their designated race series letters,-----when the runabouts got their knickers in a twist-------they stole the O series. Classic axamples were the Oe---------ON-----and Oz classes, with the OZ being the biggest laugh of all----------it's not a class at all---------it had no beginning ------it had no end.
    It was from beginning to infinity 10 CC--------to 1,000,000,1CC. A Runaway class with no control. Run what you brung-------2------4-------6-----8----10------20 engines on the transom-------you could legally run anything in the OZ category!

Post Thanks / Like

I met Pip Wiley and number of times, and also knew Chris Applebee who broke my old OD Kilo World Record. And am a friend of Mike Ward who is doing a good job of historical info on ALL CLASSES of boat racing.

I went to find my negative from that contact sheet I posted two days ago Jackie, but could not find it. I did not put it back in the proper file. Something in the back of my mind remembered that I probably already posted it before, and that's why it was missing from it's sleeve. I just found it. Check on this same thread on Page 20, post No. 195 on May 27, 2011...almost six years ago to the day. Check it out and tell me if that's not you, who do you think it is?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes the number 4 is one of my 2 litre Hodges Cosworth-------never once stopped during a race!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if you ever looked at my Autograph Collection thread Jackie, but I think there is a lot of people you know, or know of. I would very much like to have you autograph the photo from Valleyfield and return it to me for my collection, which I will post on my thread. That is only part of my proposition. I will send you two copies of that same photo, which you mentioned you had no photos of your race in Valleyfield in 1976, but I would also like two autographed mug shots (or more) of you and your son Mark for my collection. When I started this back in 1979, I didn't know I would be out of racing in two years. Most of my additions have been since I started going to reunions to collect autographs. Since I never met you and Mark personally, I have no pictures other than on the race course at Valleyfield. I always try to get people to autograph the photos I took, but there have been cases where there were none. In that case I ask if there are pictures someone else took that they could make copies of and sign them. If this is something you would might be able to help me with, please PM me your interest and contact information. My books are growing and varied. You and Mark would make a great pair. I'm not going to put these on any market or try to make a personal gain. I have made copies of some for and auction at two DePue Reunions for fund raising, but it was all for preserving the sport. Many of my photos have been put on the internet, but not for my gain. What I want is autographed photos of boat racing from the 60's to the 80's mostly, but I also have gotten a lot from current racers in a popular class in Texas. If you look at my thread you will see that it includes racing officials, pit crew, etc. I have found it is more difficult to do through the mail than when I last walked through the pits in West Berlin to get autographs. But, if you are willing to make a go of it, let me know.

Thread Information