Thread: Jackie Wilson..

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

In a previous thread, Jackie mentioned that he did not know the whereabouts of Rick Frost. I happened to sit next to him at the K7 dinner at the Windermere Motor Boat Club last November. He is currently the owner of Peterborough Panthers Speedway Team.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Burgess/Evinrude F1 V8 Lars Strom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That is two very good pictures Mike Ward. Thanks for posting.
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

My racing web site SVERA.se....http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Strom View Post
    Well Jackie..just to get you going for the OFF meeting 2013..

This is Jeff Briggs ON class 2 liter Evinrude V6 in Paris Six Hours 1974..this boat was doing way better than most of the 2 liter Mercīs..but the Scotti boat lost some plywood......I guess to much power..!!
    Too close to the turn buoy is a more likely explanation, or another competitor, Jeff Briggs was always hard nosed, I never yet came across any respectable tunnel boat that shed its skin due to horsepower------------specially a 2 liter.
    Another case of wistful thinking methinks, but there's nowt wrong with dreams of doing better.
    You reckon Briggsey was doing better than most Mercs????? Does that mean there was only a few in front of him????

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ward View Post
    In a previous thread, Jackie mentioned that he did not know the whereabouts of Rick Frost. I happened to sit next to him at the K7 dinner at the Windermere Motor Boat Club last November. He is currently the owner of Peterborough Panthers Speedway Team.
    By all that's holy never thought I would ever see Rick Frost or Andy Elliot again.
    Andy started in junior racing along with my son Mark and Tiff Needell when they were about ten years old.
    Still have my K7 gold star (number9)
    Last K7 dinner I attended was when Keith Duckworth was awarded the Harmsworth trophy for services to powerboating (for "The Cosworth") and Richard Noble was touting for funds for "The Thrust project.
    ToldRichard at the time I didn't, think his project would ever get off the drawing board.
    OK. So I sometimes get it a shade wrong, but that was 1978 and probably the last time I did !!!!!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Strom View Post
    Hey..Jackie..Did you ever race in Hawaii??..here is some interesting inboard tunnel boats.
    Still on my wish list of things to do before I cop my clogs.
    Met Bob Nordskog many times in Paris and Dave Packer in Havasu, but no, I have never visited Hawaii
    Son Mark once bought a Seebold off Dave Packer I believe.
    Shows just how popular the KT.'s were, back in the day.
    Still think this is the way to go racing again, would be east to rig a 100mph boat from any one of twenty +power plants, and interesting stern gear-----Merc, ILMOOR, arneson and Teague.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you remember when race boats were less sophisticated, had names and fun to race? You could also have a conversation as your overtook your fellow competitor!

Jackie (22) racing runabouts c.1962
    Over fifty years since .that picture was taken at Iver, the home of THE LONDON MOTOR BOAT RACING CLUB.
    Cyril Benstead was commandatorie and Jimmy Baird the commentator

, Andrew and Janet Peignton were the timekeepers,Ted jones was the rescue boat with Bill Benson, Peter Benstead was Vice Comm, Len and Edie Britnell ran the canteen before Len became Commodore, Oh yes don't forget old Ma Tredgett.
    We would leave Sussex on Friday night and load the tent in the van, hook the boat up, pile all five kids in and camp at Iver until Sunday night.
    This happened every weekend from Easter to October when we all did the pilgrimage to Paris , then back for Windermere week. Happy days as the fonze used to say.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you remember when race boats were less sophisticated, had names and fun to race? You could also have a conversation as your overtook your fellow competitor!

Jackie (22) racing runabouts c.1962
    Had a couple of days to reflect on that picture Mike.
    That was LES GOODALL in his John Iddon designed DERRY.
    My boat was a RON WOLBOLD designed blue fin with LUCKY ENGLAND as crew that day,GRAHAM BURTON was normally crew.
    Easter weekend if I remember?????
    First of these was ordered by JOHN MERRYFIELD from a HAL KELLY design

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default london motorboat racing club

Quote Originally Posted by jackie wilson View Post
    Over fifty years since .that picture was taken at Iver, the home of THE LONDON MOTOR BOAT RACING CLUB.
    Cyril Benstead was commandatorie and Jimmy Baird the commentator

, Andrew and Janet Peignton were the timekeepers,Ted jones was the rescue boat with Bill Benson, Peter Benstead was Vice Comm, Len and Edie Britnell ran the canteen before Len became Commodore, Oh yes don't forget old Ma Tredgett.
    We would leave Sussex on Friday night and load the tent in the van, hook the boat up, pile all five kids in and camp at Iver until Sunday night.
    This happened every weekend from Easter to October when we all did the pilgrimage to Paris , then back for Windermere week. Happy days as the fonze used to say.
    Hi-Jackie what was the name of Len Britnells scrutineer mate he was small with a crooked back wore glasses used a chair to climb up to the boats in the trailer park he was often seen with his legs sticking out of the cockpit at scrutineering?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pinson View Post
    Hi-Jackie what was the name of Len Britnells scrutineer mate he was small with a crooked back wore glasses used a chair to climb up to the boats in the trailer park he was often seen with his legs sticking out of the cockpit at scrutineering?
    Joey Treggitt, Edie Britnell's brother, and old ma Treggit's son, he worked for R.P.BARRUS the Johnson importers and raced in the D class with Len Brittnell who was his brother in law, meekest guy in the world so Johnny Hulme nicknamed him "Tiger Treggitt" and the name stuck for the next fifty years.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Old ex racing drivers?

Quote Originally Posted by jackie wilson View Post
    Joey Treggitt, Edie Britnell's brother, and old ma Treggit's son, he worked for R.P.BARRUS the Johnson importers and raced in the D class with Len Brittnell who was his brother in law, meekest guy in the world so Johnny Hulme nicknamed him "Tiger Treggitt" and the name stuck for the next fifty years.
    Hi Jackie brings back good old memories talking about these old racing drivers from your past i remember my first 24hr race at Chasewater in 1968 i was 20yrs old and my co drivers were around 50yrs old at the time they were Archi Rolls and Ron Burchell who i may add was a mainstay for powerboat racing in the lincolnshire area he also ran the Grimsby+Cleethorpes powerboat club and really worked hard to encourage young would be powerboat racers.I often get asked how it was to drive a powerboat flat out in the dark at night with no lighting how would you describe it?.

Thread Information