Thread: Jackie Wilson..

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dabull1919 View Post
    Back to the 2.0L OMC back in the 70`s. Does anybody know if it was a cross flow or looper?
    The V-6 that Sanders won Paris in '74 was a cross flow.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I think he means a 727 race engine of which very little information exists
    Greg from Seaway has one.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Schubert T*A*R*T View Post
    Don became good friends with us on the T*A*R*T Team, probably not approved by GG. He especially became close to Jim Briggs who like Don enjoyed his adult beverage. When I went to work at OMC, primarily Lawn-Boy, Jim had me send a Lawn-Boy riding mower to Don. A little trivia no one knows but me, I guess.
    Just goes to show there are still some nice folk around--------I used to go with PRUETT to the OMC shrimp bakes, then we would wander over to see Jimbo and Johnny Sanders, Bob Nordskog, Mc Cune and Posey, Ted May, Charlie Strang.
    Everyone made FBI welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Strom View Post
    Well Jackie..just to get you going for the OFF meeting 2013..

This is Jeff Briggs ON class 2 liter Evinrude V6 in Paris Six Hours 1974..this boat was doing way better than most of the 2 liter Mercīs..but the Scotti boat lost some plywood......I guess to much power..!!

I think this is the one i was thinking about. Is it the same as the one Jonny Sanders won in 74 with? Is it the 727 engine?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Powerabout View Post
    I think he means a 727 race engine of which very little information exists
    Greg from Seaway has one.

Does he ever post here?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 727 engine

Quote Originally Posted by Dabull1919 View Post
    I think this is the one i was thinking about. Is it the same as the one Jonny Sanders won in 74 with? Is it the 727 engine?
    My understanding is the 727 engine you have mentioned will be a looper` the 2.0 litre versions appeared around 1976 with a couple of 2.3 versions then` in 1978 they made some 2.7 and 3.0 versions which ran into the 1980s i suspect this 727 may be a 3.0 engine this is only my opinion of course`all these engines were only made in very small numbers?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

During the ten years i was involved with running the fonda 2 litre world wide series, i cannot remember a two litre omc ever winning a heat let alone a race---------velden came close in munich, he finished a good second in the first heat, but didn,t come out for the second or third heat.
    I could be wrong ------but i doubt it,. 'twas quite fast-----but didn't last !!!!!!!!!!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Old omc 2.0 litres

Quote Originally Posted by jackie wilson View Post
    During the ten years i was involved with running the fonda 2 litre world wide series, i cannot remember a two litre omc ever winning a heat let alone a race---------velden came close in munich, he finished a good second in the first heat, but didn,t come out for the second or third heat.
    I could be wrong ------but i doubt it,. 'twas quite fast-----but didn't last !!!!!!!!!!!
    Hi jackie i agree with what you are saying` you will remember Leo Cees old mechanic and buddy he managed the OMC Performance department in Brugge Belgium around the time you are talking about` i think the 2.0 Johnson engine you saw running was the same one i saw racing at Rotterdam in the early 90`s must have been at least 20 Mercury outfits racing and this old Johnson 2.0litre was up to third place but didn`t last.I was told this was Leo`s pet project made up from old engines and parts probably about 16yrs old at that time`now if this is true even a level headed thinker like yourself must agree that must have been some engine in its time but was never developed?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

A 2 LTR omc would be all custom
    I could only see carbs and ignition common to anything else

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pinson View Post
    Hi jackie i agree with what you are saying` you will remember Leo Cees old mechanic and buddy he managed the OMC Performance department in Brugge Belgium around the time you are talking about` i think the 2.0 Johnson engine you saw running was the same one i saw racing at Rotterdam in the early 90`s must have been at least 20 Mercury outfits racing and this old Johnson 2.0litre was up to third place but didn`t last.I was told this was Leo`s pet project made up from old engines and parts probably about 16yrs old at that time`now if this is true even a level headed thinker like yourself must agree that must have been some engine in its time but was never developed?
    Stevie baby, Happy new year.
    Custom made one offs were always competitive or we never would have seen them.
    Carniti had just one ( that was ever seen ) power head flew off around the bottom turn in Paris.
    Koenig had a two liter six that was like sh-t off a Teflon coated shovel, but it was rarely seen.
    Ben Rood had the Hoganrood that Len Melly used to win the world X class in the early sixties.
    History is littered with one offs that nearly made it.
    Mercury were the only people to win and improve the breed in MOST classes.
    OMC did rule the roost in the 850 class, but did not want to come out and play in any other formula.
    OZ does not have a formula it's a runaway class stolen from the hydro's
    Six out of eight is the rotary score ( but nobody wants to tell us where they were, or what the competition was.) So that hardly warrants the millions of $ invested.
    Whatever the reason you choose to believe, the V8 program had the plug pulled and all funding ceased.
    Even today MERCURY is still steadily producing winning motors, it's headline news when a Jap motor or a Jonrood wins these days.
    Maybe Butler can give us an idea of the total Merc wins versus OMC victories.

In answer to the remark about the OMC 2 liter being 16 years old and made up of old bits, well forgive me Steve if I don't have an orgasmic experience, but it was hardly a world shattering piece of kit.

Thread Information