Thread: Jackie Wilson..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rotary John View Post
    TX2: If I read your post correctly it was 87 that capsules were on F1 outboards, yet Lars say he drove a capsule boat in 85 and 1/2 the boats on the circuit were capsule. Or was it the standards you were refering to in 87? I believe reading some where Strang saying OMC and Merc both gave money for capsule development.
    I was referring to the standards. We put small individual OPC sized capsules in the Jesse James cockpit in 1986 and they were modeled after the early tunnel hull versions, but they offered no real head protection. It was only after the canopies came on the scene that true capsule technology began in earnest......at least in the Offshore and Unlimited circles. I don't dispute Jackie's version that Hodges was the prime mover in his OPC hulls, but there were many efforts going on simultaneously on our side of the pond. Bernie LIttle came at it as a result of his own driver fatalities and injuries..... We simply picked up on Bernie's efforts and advanced the bar. In the end all of the various technologies wound up under the auspices of the Lavin Foundation (founded in Mark's memory) which are the basis for much of today's UIM standards.

T2x
    OBSOLETE AND PROUD OF IT

Burgess/Evinrude F1 V8 Lars Strom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jackie wilson View Post
    Dropped a clanger didn't i Lasse-----------'twasn't Erickson----------it was Bertil Wik, Been waiting all my life to get something wrong -----and i just did.

Incidentally the safety cell was not enough to save Bob when he sank the boat with him in it for too long a time in Seville. He suffered brain damage and was never the same guy again. He married Jilly Percival and was happy for a while---but he couldn't keep his zipper fastened for long and was given the big E.
    Great character and we were great friends for many years.His kids and mine are still friends 40 years on.
    First Jackie..I think you are doing very, very good with boat racing memories..
    I hope I do as good in your age..

Jepp..I remember so well that said day late 1985 in Sevilla, Spain.. I was standing there on the dock with Jill..
    We all understood that it took to long time to get Bob out of the safety cockpit when the
    boat was upside down..
    I think it was under practice..not the race..

On top of that..Bob was already the F1 World Champ 1985..before the start of the last race ..He did not really need to race in Sevilla...
    That was also the last F1-V8 race in Europe..

One more thing..It was very hard to deal with OMC as a boat race driver...
    Much better as a exclusive Evinrude dealer..

Even better as a Race driver and the top exlusive Evinrude dealer..
    I am going to put together a story about that soon..

Are you still living over there in France where everything smells garlic..??
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

My racing web site SVERA.se....http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Strom View Post
    First Jackie..I think you are doing very, very good with boat racing memories..
    I hope I do as good in your age..

Jepp..I remember so well that said day late 1985 in Sevilla, Spain.. I was standing there on the dock with Jill..
    We all understood that it took to long time to get Bob out of the safety cockpit when the
    boat was upside down..
    I think it was under practice..not the race..

On top of that..Bob was already the F1 World Champ 1985..before the start of the last race ..He did not really need to race in Sevilla...

That was also the last F1-V8 race in Europe..

One more thing..It was very hard to deal with OMC as a Boat race driver...
    Much better as a exclusive Evinrude dealer..

Even better as a Race driver and the top exlusive Evinrude dealer..
    I am going to put together a story about that soon..

Are you still living over there in France where everything smells garlic..??
    No i live in the south of France where the sun shines for 300 days a year and you can drink wine for 365 days a year----------where it's still daylight at 10.30 pm during june july and august.
    Garlic is great in the right place, and i enjoy village life and all my french neighbours and french kids who come to the workshop-wanting their tyres pumped up and saddles raised. Water temperature for the summer is between 25 and 30 c . Can you tell me why we have such a massive Swedish community here.?????????????
    Could it be the same reason you live in Florida ??????????? Hey Lang Go. !!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

??????????? Hey Lang Go. !!!!!!!!!
    Hehe Jackie..be careful with that stuff...I can not drink it..make me stupid...Well..more stupid..

Again..Paris 6 hours was my favorite race...Raced there 11 times and is dreaming of standing in the Eiffel tower looking at the 2012 Paris 6 hours...

Make it possible Jackie....!!!
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

Post Thanks / Like

Jackie..I think you like this picture..

Mr. Bill and me at a fishing tournament Lake Truman two years ago..free Bud Light..!!
    I have a few more..
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Jackie..I think you like this picture..

Mr. Bill and me at a fishing tournament Lake Truman two years ago..free Bud Light..!!
    I have a few more..
    Have been friends with Billy for over 40 years---saw him at the old farts in Jupiter last year along with Stickle and Serra and Brett May and a bunch of other old idjits..

Yes i do like the picture Lasse.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hehe Jackie..be careful with that stuff...I can not drink it..make me stupid...Well..more stupid..

Again..Paris 6 hours was my favorite race...Raced there 11 times and is dreaming of standing in the Eiffel tower looking at the 2012 Paris 6 hours...

Make it possible Jackie....!!!
    Raced Paris over 20 times in 30 years first time was late 50's in a ROCCA with a JOHNSON with John Derrington who built Derry boats with John Iddon.

Paris stands alone in powerboat history along with Msr. Bladinaire .

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Raced Paris over 20 times in 30 years first time was late 50's in a ROCCA with a JOHNSON with John Derrington who built Derry boats with John Iddon.

Paris stands alone in powerboat history along with Msr. Bladinaire .
    This is for T2X------ Had a long chat with my friend and Mechanic Chas Shooter-------he has in his Garage--
    1----302 small block Keith Black Ford motor and several boxes of crane cams that he took out of the KT boat i bought off GG. apparently its the only motor to put in a Shelby Cobra and is as rare as rocking horse sh-t.

Thought that might cause your taste buds to flutter.

Post Thanks / Like

This is for T2X------ Had a long chat with my friend and Mechanic Chas Shooter-------he has in his Garage--
    1----302 small block Keith Black Ford motor and several boxes of crane cams that he took out of the KT boat i bought off GG. apparently its the only motor to put in a Shelby Cobra and is as rare as rocking horse sh-t.

Thought that might cause your taste buds to flutter.
    Now all you need is the Cobra..........
    OBSOLETE AND PROUD OF IT

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a tech question about the F-1 V-8 tunnel boats that you guys might can shed some light on. All of those oversize tunnels that were built for the V-8's had FLAT top decks. Now, I race RC tunnel boats and the flat deck principle just don't work. Without any "droop" in the front half of the deck and some taper in the rear half, our RC race boats will not stay on the water. Kinda like slinging a sheet of plywood into the wind, once the angle goes positive it turns skyward. Did these boats have so much power that they just kept the boats on the water with neutral or negative prop trim?

Jackie, I have a copy of the racing history book by Kevin Desmond and enjoyed reading your stories about the Cosworth boat!

Mark
    Outboard Model Concepts
    RC Mod-VP hulls
    Distributor for HTB Tunnels

Thread Information