Thread: Jackie Wilson..

Post Thanks / Like

Jackie and Rotary John at OFF 2010, conspiring to reveal the secrets behind the legendary 2 liter Rotary, V-10, Turbine OMC that only Renato Molinari was allowed to test drive. This engine would have put OMC at the top of racing. Unfortunately, not only couldn't it finish a race....no one was ever able to get it started....!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    OBSOLETE AND PROUD OF IT

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    Lee:

I presume this is what you are referring to.......?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4buTn...layer_embedded

Looks like a great concept........... and lends itself to a sealed Formula program.
    Looks like a V6 Yam outboard coupled to a Weismann style sterndrive?
    I guess they had 30 years of thinking since Jackies Cozzie MCM 1dr, didnt amount to much did it?

Burgess/Evinrude F1 V8 Lars Strom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Off Topic..

Busy Memorial Day weekend as a race fan..onboard our Boat

F1 from Monaco Sunday morning..
    Indy 500..The greatest spectacle in racing turns 100 years..
    Former winners are invited for pre-race activites
    My friend Kenny Bräck (a former winner..1999) is driving Montoya´s
    2000 winning car before the race..

After Indy 500.. flipping channel to NASCAR and Charlotte Motor Speedway..
    Coca Cola 600 normally last to midnight.

Well..Jackie... The Marina is an exclusive Brunswick/Mercury dealer so I hang out with Merc people every day now and enjoy it..

I be back here at "the Jackie Wilson thread" next week..

Have a great Memorial Day.
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

My racing web site SVERA.se....http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Jackie, I've looked through most of my pictures, and I haven't found a tunnel mixing it up with the inboards yet, but I can't find my good loupe and so I have a hard time seeing details. I'll find it and go over them again. Here is an excerpt from the July 1976 LE Soleil, and an article from Powerboat that gives you mention at the Valleyfield race. This is one of only two articles I sent in for publication, but had someone else write the story. Both were in 1976. Steve and Lee Hertz accompanied us as pit crew for myself and Tim Butts, and since Lee was the APBA Region 6 correspondent, I asked if he would write the story and I would take the pictures. He readily agreed. Lee knew most if not all the inboard racers, and probably many of the OPC guys. Consequently, I didn't get the results or even have a roster. I don't even remember much about the drivers meeting. Seems to me that I remember most of it being in French.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Lee:

I presume this is what you are referring to.......?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4buTn...layer_embedded

Looks like a great concept........... and lends itself to a sealed Formula program.
    You have to admit -it looks good and rides nicely --------but i notice there are no given speeds or acceleration times.-------------------Lots of low emission and economy talk.

At a guess it looks to be running below a 110------you don't get that slow lollop at speeds above that-------the boat trims to a setting and then the speed comes in.
    Looks like a great package to me and the new trim and steering are light years ahead of anything i had----------so to sell it as a competitor to an existing class------------it.s going to have to run around 140 MPH, to keep up with the big boys.

After a 35 year gap----it's time somebody came up with something new-and this looks like a step in the right direction. Good luck you guys i wish all the luck in the world.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    Jackie, I've looked through most of my pictures, and I haven't found a tunnel mixing it up with the inboards yet, but I can't find my good loupe and so I have a hard time seeing details. I'll find it and go over them again. Here is an excerpt from the July 1976 LE Soleil, and an article from Powerboat that gives you mention at the Valleyfield race. This is one of only two articles I sent in for publication, but had someone else write the story. Both were in 1976. Steve and Lee Hertz accompanied us as pit crew for myself and Tim Butts, and since Lee was the APBA Region 6 correspondent, I asked if he would write the story and I would take the pictures. He readily agreed. Lee knew most if not all the inboard racers, and probably many of the OPC guys. Consequently, I didn't get the results or even have a roster. I don't even remember much about the drivers meeting. Seems to me that I remember most of it being in French.
    Like i said before-------they would not allow me to race with the outboard tunnels.

The only racing i did that day was 3 -----3 lap races with the GP boys and then the Molson Invitational. Must have done ok in that one -----got a big check-------lots of beer and a stack of Molson drinking vessels. Thing i remember most was the all night partying ----------the trip up the seaway to an out of the way restaurant by boat and coming back at 3 in the morning and joining all the other revellers for a very big breakfast and falling into bed around 7AM.

Can tell you 3 of the runners were Jo-Bonomi ??? Larry Lauderbach and Staudacher ----
    Larry gave a very emotional speech afterwards which had everyone crying in their beer.

Of all the places i raced in the world Valleyfield was the friendliest .

I once asked Louise Thompson why she didn't watch outboard racing-------she looked me straight in the eye and said "SIMPLE----------------THEY DON'T MAKE THE GROUND TREMBLE".

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Powerabout View Post
    Looks like a V6 Yam outboard coupled to a Weismann style sterndrive?
    I guess they had 30 years of thinking since Jackies Cozzie MCM 1dr, didnt amount to much did it?
    Might not have amounted to much to you my friend---but i got a great kick out of it----enjoyed the whole season and made my own mark in our sports history. Delighted a few--------pissed off a lot -----------can't have been that bad if people are still doing the same thing all over again today. Don't have any regrets about the project and would be interesting to put the two boats together------just for a demo run--------after all the boat is 20+' long and has just 400 hp from 3 liters with a nice smooth V8 against a new light composite boat with a 6cylinder lump of 3.5 liters shoving out 400 HP. Now that don't sound like there has been a whole load of progress in the boat business over the last 35 years. And if my son could put his mind to tweaking a modern day wheel for me-------i may be persuaded to try a hefty $10 bet on the outcome SO--------what did you drive that powerboat drivers the world over still talk about????????????

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Jackie and Rotary John at OFF 2010, conspiring to reveal the secrets behind the legendary 2 liter Rotary, V-10, Turbine OMC that only Renato Molinari was allowed to test drive. This engine would have put OMC at the top of racing. Unfortunately, not only couldn't it finish a race....no one was ever able to get it started....!!!!
    Sam---------i'm the only one allowed to go Rotary bashing------------I have a very broad back !!!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Strom View Post
    Busy Memorial Day weekend as a race fan..onboard our Boat

F1 from Monaco Sunday morning..
    Indy 500..The greatest spectacle in racing turns 100 years..
    Former winners are invited for pre-race activites
    My friend Kenny Bräck (a former winner..1999) is driving Montoya´s
    2000 winning car before the race..

After Indy 500.. flipping channel to NASCAR and Charlotte Motor Speedway..
    Coca Cola 600 normally last to midnight.

Well..Jackie... The Marina is an exclusive Brunswick/Mercury dealer so I hang out with Merc people every day now and enjoy it..

I be back here at "the Jackie Wilson thread" next week..

Have a great Memorial Day.

Lasse -------YOU ARE SUCH A SHOW OFF----------- MONACO SUNDAY MORNING!!!!!!!!!! INDY 500 IN THE AFTERNOON NASCAR AT NITE FROM CHARLOTTE--------"ON MY BOAT IN THE MARINA DRINKING CHAMPAGNE" WHICH IS OWNED BY MERCURY----------------------------- While the POOR people stay home to watch.

Have a great weekend

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well...I found my loupe and was able to see the films with clarity and found one of the No. 4 tunnel of yours Jackie. I also included a few shots from the drivers's meeting. Unfortunately, I shot them from behind. Do you remember where you were? My fiance, future wife Debbie, were in the back.

Have a wonderful weekend Lars. What a contrast. Watching some of the top motorsports events on asphalt from a boat. While all the drivers and crews are hot and sweaty, you are kicking back, on the water, in a boat....not just any boat......watching all unfold. You can do all that without having to take a picnic lunch and pee over the side. A wonderful Memorial Day weekend.

Thread Information