Thread: Jackie Wilson..

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Powerabout View Post
    Here's an article published in an Ozzie boat mag a few years ago about Jackies boat
    Lasse, Only you could come up with a bunch of questions that will cause so much debate and controversy,---first things first.

Did Fiona Brothers ever win an ON race----------yes she did, but i cannot tell you how many and where they were !!!!!!!!!!
    Fiona was Mercury's number one publicity stunt, full works backing with Mercs European engineer Steve West as her Mechanic.

Sponsorship from MITSUBISHI----- and her dad was not exactly on the dole queue -------he just happened to have a little 'ole petroleum company, but was as tight as a ducks arse when it came to paying for stuff.

Fiona was podium material----------but like ALL females who get into motorised sports-not quite "Champion " stuff. [WE SHOULD HAVE SOME FUN REPLIES TO THAT STATEMENT]

She was hard to beat in her short career but finished in front of some of the best known drivers of the day-ie, John Hill, Jon Jones, Steve Kerton, Mark Wilson, Tony Williams, and a whole lot more.

She brought more publicity to the FONDA series than any other person, and was also a very likeable person.

She lives on the Isle of Wight with husband Keith and Her 2 sons.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Strom View Post
    Hi again Jackie...look at this picture..maybe Bristol??

How is Fiona Brothers doing today?? Did she ever win a ON race??
    That was Bristol 1978, number 10 was probably Bob Spalding with Percy at number 11, they both had identical Long John rigs.

Had the equipment and should have won Bristol-----but was a bit exuberant and overdid things.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I only kept it due to the cosworth photo
    cheers

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's an article published in an Ozzie boat mag a few years ago about Jackies boat
    Ray Bulman was the ONLY power boat reporter to earn his keep. Knew him and "MARGE" for many years-----didn't always agree with him----but he couldn't be bought and told it the way it was.

What he didn't know was the fact that i had Freddie Miles design and build the boat.
    I then bought and paid for the stern drive and the instrumentation , the rigging and fuel tanks.
    Bill supplied the motor.

It was a joint venture-all, went well until he managed to squeeze a very good sponsorship deal with "Carlsberg" ------then he wanted to fly solo. If you know me at all, you would realise i would not take this lying prone------------so in 2 weeks-------i bought a boat from Roger Hooks widow---bought a 2 litre Cosworth from Keith Duckworth and went to Amsterdam where i showed Bill how to drive a boat--------the rest is history.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I only kept it due to the cosworth photo
    cheers
    Didn't think for a moment you kept it to remember ME. Cheers.

Burgess/Evinrude F1 V8 Lars Strom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jackie wilson View Post
    Lasse, Only you could come up with a bunch of questions that will cause so much debate and controversy,---first things first.

Did Fiona Brothers ever win an ON race----------yes she did, but i cannot tell you how many and where they were !!!!!!!!!!
    Fiona was Mercury's number one publicity stunt, full works backing with Mercs European engineer Steve West as her Mechanic.

Sponsorship from MITSUBISHI----- and her dad was not exactly on the dole queue -------he just happened to have a little 'ole petroleum company, but was as tight as a ducks arse when it came to paying for stuff.

Fiona was podium material----------but like ALL females who get into motorised sports-not quite "Champion " stuff. [WE SHOULD HAVE SOME FUN REPLIES TO THAT STATEMENT]

She was hard to beat in her short career but finished in front of some of the best known drivers of the day-ie, John Hill, Jon Jones, Steve Kerton, Mark Wilson, Tony Williams, and a whole lot more.

She brought more publicity to the FONDA series than any other person, and was also a very likeable person.

She lives on the Isle of Wight with husband Keith and Her 2 sons.
    Thanks for info Jackie..and my plan is to see you at next OFF meeting..in Naples with Mr. Bill.
    What is on the back of the Merc..?? red arrow..

Hey....If you where racing OZ with the inboard/outboard boat in Bristol you could have used a big hi perf Cosworth V8??

One more thing..Miss Larina was up on four wheels at MarineMax today..
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

My racing web site SVERA.se....http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Strom View Post
    Hi again Jackie...look at this picture..maybe Bristol??

How is Fiona Brothers doing today?? Did she ever win a ON race??
    Fiona raced at St Louis driving our (Dr. Phil Wagner) Seebold/Mercury combination. We had two rigs that ran about the same. Mercury was the driving force beheind the project and I tested the rig to where it was running with front runners. I'll check the exact year, but I think in was in the SST-120 class in the late 70's. She was very nice to work with and ran a good race.

Oh, I drove the #10 boat with Percy at Paris in 1977. Placed 3rd after blowing a gear case with a 3 lap lead - rig wa really fast. But, we all have stories....

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Paris

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Sutter View Post
    Fiona raced at St Louis driving our (Dr. Phil Wagner) Seebold/Mercury combination. We had two rigs that ran about the same. Mercury was the driving force beheind the project and I tested the rig to where it was running with front runners. I'll check the exact year, but I think in was in the SST-120 class in the late 70's. She was very nice to work with and ran a good race.

Oh, I drove the #10 boat with Percy at Paris in 1977. Placed 3rd after blowing a gear case with a 3 lap lead - rig wa really fast. But, we all have stories....
    Lee, yes we all have the "would of, should of ,could of stories". In 1972 I had a large lead over Mike Downatd in second with under 40 minutes to go, throttled back per instructions & threw a rod. Went to Berlin the next week, out front again in the 2nd hr. & yup broke another one.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Sutter View Post

Hey Lee--you are right about Fee--she is a great person-----was only after she learned how to bash sponsons with others that she was taken seriously.

And John-----you are talking to the world no1 shoulda --coulda --mighta------thats all i got to show for it all

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jackie wilson View Post
    Hey Lee--you are right about Fee--she is a great person-----was only after she learned how to bash sponsons with others that she was taken seriously.

And John-----you are talking to the world no1 shoulda --coulda --mighta------thats all i got to show for it all
    Hey Jackie,

Fiona was not well established when she raced at St Louis, so I think it was the early part of her racing career. I know a lot of people were watching her real close - lots of jelousy too!!! Every test lap she ran, her times were whispered around the pits. She was pretty cool about the whole thing and did her own thing and didn't seem to care too much about any of the crap that was going on around her. She ran a lot of test laps and tried a lot of combinations. It was a lot of fun.

I know she had serious injuries in Europe a year or two later. What happened?

If you get the chance, tell her hello for me.

Thanks,

Lee

Thread Information