Thread: Jackie Wilson..

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Those are some good inside stories Lee and Jackie. It makes it much more interesting to read about racing exploits when someone who was there can add more than what was reported. I will see if I can find some stories out of Powerboat & Waterskiing about her. Seems like I can remember Rosalind Nott (sp) the editor, or someone else did a profile on her.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Sutter View Post
    Hey Jackie,

Fiona was not well established when she raced at St Louis, so I think it was the early part of her racing career. I know a lot of people were watching her real close - lots of jelousy too!!! Every test lap she ran, her times were whispered around the pits. She was pretty cool about the whole thing and did her own thing and didn't seem to care too much about any of the crap that was going on around her. She ran a lot of test laps and tried a lot of combinations. It was a lot of fun.

I know she had serious injuries in Europe a year or two later. What happened?

If you get the chance, tell her hello for me.

Thanks,

Lee
    'Twas at a national race somewhere in the midlands[Stewartby or somewhere like that] Fee had won the first of the three heats and really put some of the big boys in their place-------start of the second heat 5 boats abreast without a hair between them -------all banging sponsons---Jon Jones got a tad out of sync and started to climb-------Fiona kinda got sucked up with him --and if memory serves me right-----Stevie Kerton decided to join them in the heavenly quest. The boys all got out OK but fee was trapped under the boat for a long time and was unconscious when they carted her off to hospital-----------when she came too, she had lost the use of all things on the left side and could only speak out of the right corner of her mouth. The power boat world was shocked with the accident --------her parents were due to go on a world cruise , and her dad decided that as it was not life threatening and ONLY paralysis so he would continue with the cruise---------ALL HEART and compassion was that man.

There are still signs of the accident -but she never did let it bother her and she carried on with her life--Married Keith and adopted a couple of great boys.
    It's 11 years since she came by the house--then i moved to France and happiness and i really must look her up when we move back to England later this year.

Will give her your best Lee------------but hey man !!!!!!!this is the 21st century ------get on the puter and find her and tell her yourself------------she would like that.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    Those are some good inside stories Lee and Jackie. It makes it much more interesting to read about racing exploits when someone who was there can add more than what was reported. I will see if I can find some stories out of Powerboat & Waterskiing about her. Seems like I can remember Rosalind Nott (sp) the editor, or someone else did a profile on her.
    Would have been Roz or Baverstock that did the feature, unless Bulman did it for Yachts and Yachting.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ray Bulman also had a column in Powerboat for a number of years. Always enjoyed his stuff.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    Ray Bulman also had a column in Powerboat for a number of years. Always enjoyed his stuff.
    Bulman was always the master of his trade [the only one in fact] . He and Marge [when they were not arguing] were well known in boating circles and covered ALL forms of powerboating from hydros to offshore and record attempts.

Post Thanks / Like

Still got this from back in the day, I'm sure Fiona would be pleased.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    Jackie and Rotary John at OFF 2010, conspiring to reveal the secrets behind the legendary 2 liter Rotary, V-10, Turbine OMC that only Renato Molinari was allowed to test drive. This engine would have put OMC at the top of racing. Unfortunately, not only couldn't it finish a race....no one was ever able to get it started....!!!!
    Yes, good photo. T2x, It sounds like you were involved with the rotary engine development/racing. Tell us more please. What was its horsepower and so on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1969Merc800ShortShaft View Post
    Yes, good photo. T2x, It sounds like you were involved with the rotary engine development/racing. Tell us more please. What was its horsepower and so on.
    Read my sentence again carefully......."2 liter, rotary, V10, turbine OMC"........

Jackie is much more knowledgeable about this project than I am.......
    OBSOLETE AND PROUD OF IT

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Omc

Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    Read my sentence again carefully......."2 liter, rotary, V10, turbine OMC"........

Jackie is much more knowledgeable about this project than I am.......
    Rich, am I stupid & don't know about that secret weapon or were you trying to spoof someone. Never heard of a 2 liter rotary V-10 Turbined OMC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Schubert T*A*R*T View Post
    Rich, am I stupid & don't know about that secret weapon or were you trying to spoof someone. Never heard of a 2 liter rotary V-10 Turbined OMC.
    These were real ultra hush hush motors..... not even Charlie Strang or Jack Leek knew about the project.......

Edgar Rose hid the prototypes away so thoroughly that 2 days later even he couldn't find them...but if they ever actually got on one of those bi-plane hulls that Staudacher and Molinari were developing (also in secret..code named "Molidachers").... they definitely would have been faster than anything else to this day..... .

T2x

P.S..... This is for all those guys who are always searching for the "inside story" on minutiae like why the factories chose specific stripe colors on engine cowls for a certain year...
    OBSOLETE AND PROUD OF IT

Thread Information