Thread: Jackie Wilson..

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pinson View Post
    Hi Jackie brings back good old memories talking about these old racing drivers from your past i remember my first 24hr race at Chasewater in 1968 i was 20yrs old and my co drivers were around 50yrs old at the time they were Archi Rolls and Ron Burchell who i may add was a mainstay for powerboat racing in the lincolnshire area he also ran the Grimsby+Cleethorpes powerboat club and really worked hard to encourage young would be powerboat racers.I often get asked how it was to drive a powerboat flat out in the dark at night with no lighting how would you describe it?.
    Ridiculous, times were actually quicker during the night, how the hell that happened when you only had a bicycle light for a headlamp is something only the "Trick Cyclists" can begin to explain.
    I still remember the giant scrap heap of CARNITI engines at the closing of the 24hours.
    Ron Burchell and Graham Musson had a third mate and I'm blowed if I can remember his name( was not Mike Rose)
    Sold the three of 'em a bunch of six cylinder Mercs over the years.
    Remember big fat Archie Rolls with no teeth, just gums.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Carniti outboard engines

Quote Originally Posted by jackie wilson View Post
    Ridiculous, times were actually quicker during the night, how the hell that happened when you only had a bicycle light for a headlamp is something only the "Trick Cyclists" can begin to explain.
    I still remember the giant scrap heap of CARNITI engines at the closing of the 24hours.
    Ron Burchell and Graham Musson had a third mate and I'm blowed if I can remember his name( was not Mike Rose)
    Sold the three of 'em a bunch of six cylinder Mercs over the years.
    Remember big fat Archie Rolls with no teeth, just gums.
    Graham Mussons friend may have been Jeff Dunn`also you would have known his father Aubrey Musson who was the Commadore for the Lincolnshire powerboat club at that time?.How come Carniti outboards never made it to the USA?I can remember Max Milton racing a Carniti/bristol outfit at Carr Mill in a national race with about twenty other bristol/Carniti outfits the race was around 20 laps long he lapped everyone twice he even passed John Reed in 18ft Levi with a 115hp Johnson. Fredi Miles had been tweaking his engine so they banned him a few times.Do you remember Freddi with a Levi 16ft outfit with twin Carniti outboards terrific acceleration but no top end `i don`t know what he was thinking but he entered the 24hr race it didn`t last very long`I thought you may have known this Archi Rolls claim to fame i was told`was he was Lord Mountbattons batman in the navy during the war?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Archie Rolls

Pic of Archie Rolls in "Rollo"

Name:  Archie Rolls.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  139.8 KB

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you notice the bungee to hold the throttle wide open,?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: the bungee cord on the throttle.

Probably get you banned from racing for life these days, especially since it is even illegal to have a go-pro camera attached/on your person in APBA racing. Was wondering if UIM has copied this rule on the camera's? Anybody know?

I understand one of the pushers of this rule is big in UIM safety.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pan American Race in San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by jackie wilson View Post
    Did you notice the bungee to hold the throttle wide open,?
    In 1955 or '56, Elgin Gates helped promote a Pan American race in San Diego. There weren't many Mexican entries, so Americans "TEAMED" with the Mexicans. My partner was having engine trouble and my dad was trying to help him by cleaning the gas tank and carb. The motor seemed to start real well, but as soon as we squeezed the throttle the engine would die. Finally, we figured out the throttle was hooked up backwards. The Mexican driver explained he needed two hands to drive, when he got going too fast he just "Squeezed" a little. When Jackie wanted to slow down a little, he'd just "UN-HOOK" the bungee...Yes, that was when racing was fun and the government took about 15% of your money compared to 35% now days!

Burgess/Evinrude F1 V8 Lars Strom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default OFF 2013 Tavares, Florida

One of the best moments at the OFF meeting this year was to finally meet Jackie Wilson again.
    We have had many disagreements over the years but it was so nice to give "Mr. Fonda 2 liter" a big hug.

He is still going very strong and always having a good sense of humor.
    On top of that Jackie bought me a excellent dinner Friday night.
    Thank you and see you next year Jackie.

First picture is me, Jackie and Bert Serra.

The second picture is Jackie and the trophy he made in England for the winner of the 2013 OFF golf game Friday..

Third picture is Jackie's motor home in Paris 1977..(in the background)

I remember the big print on the Motor home "Jackie Wilson..Racing for fun"
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

My racing web site SVERA.se....http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Strom View Post
    One of the best moments at the OFF meeting this year was to finally meet Jackie Wilson again.
    We have had many disagreements over the years but it was so nice to give "Mr. Fonda 2 liter" a big hug.

He is still going very strong and always having a good sense of humor.
    On top of that Jackie bought me a excellent dinner Friday night.
    Thank you and see you next year Jackie.

First picture is me, Jackie and Bert Serra.

The second picture is Jackie and the trophy he made in England for the winner of the 2013 OFF golf game Friday..

Third picture is Jackie's motor home in Paris 1977..(in the background)

I remember the big print on the Motor home "Jackie Wilson..Racing for fun"
    Like MOST of the old racers, we did it for fun.
    Only time I ever drove over my head, was Paris '79, was trying to show my son he wasn't as good as me, scared myself ****less and never raced a boat again.
    Got into sculpting, facsimileis, concepts, or whatever you like to call it when I turned 75, get a tremendous kick from cobbling bits together, ie, stainless, alloys, hardwoods, granite, glass and marble, just have to do a bit of lateral thinking, outside the box------easy stuff and nonsense really-----most cartoon artists can draw far better than Piccasso or Dali.

Post Thanks / Like

Default KT Class

Jackie, the KT class started like many new classes. One person believed in the concept and others joined in. Bill Cooper first talked Carl into putting a small block in a Molinari. Bill raced it at the Elsinore 500. The funny part of that was that Bill and my brother were close friend from Offshore (Pacific Offshore Power Boat Association which Bill was a charter member, my brother one of the founders). Bill knew I raced and knew my brother HAD raced. Bill offered my brother a Co-Driver ride with him at Elsinore. I wouldn't let my brother near that boat, as my brother had never driven anything over about 70 and he wasn't too good with those speeds. Bill next built a Ron Jones, 22 footer with a small block, but he blew that over the first time out a Parker testing for the 9 Hour. Rudy Ramos ended up with that boat, he installed triple Mercury Outboards. Bob Nordskog both a Jones because of Cooper, but he installed a big block. Then, he bought a "CRASHED" Molinari and restored it. Next, Nordskog bought a brand new Molinari, that Ted May drove at Parker. In its first race, with Ted behind the wheel, the boat slowly came apart at about 125 MPH...The onkly thing left was Ted May, the motor and drive. About that time, you (Jackie Wilson) showed up with the Cosworth at Parker. I was trying to get Brad Miller to build a KT with a Drake V-8. Garbrecht raced a KT with Gary Peacock winning every race. Two or three other boats were built. Mr. Ricky built two. Mitch Lemke built up a couple. Art Williams and Lloyd Marschall built one. The class seems to be "Growing wheels". Wayne Brookes built one (He owned JE Pistons). Then the wheels started to fall off. The guy from Reno, who sponsored the Walked Lake 100 blew over at Parker and was killed. (I can't think of his name). Bill Olney blew his over and was killed. Mitch Lemke and his dad got killed on the way to Walker Lake in a car accident. Nordskog went Offshore racing....All of a sudden, we only had four boats, and they wanted us to put capsules in those boats. No one seemed to know if the capsule would work in a KT (boats were big, heavy...)..I believe, a small inboard motor like a Ecoteck aluminum motor, on like a Bravo drive could make a great class.........Right now, I'm working on my Stadium racers...
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 11-19-2013 at 10:55 AM.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ron,if you look back to around the late sixties/early seventies there was a massive leap forward in motor technology.Tolerances got finer, RPM started to go through the ceiling, HP went ballistic, reliability increased beyond recognition.
    My own belief is that using a well tried V8 Ford, Cosworth Engineering re-designed it from top to bottom.
    This proved to be so successful that Honda, Toyota, and then the French and Italians soon started buying them, dismantling, and in some cases even improving their own motors as a direct result of the Cosworth.
    You don't have to look any further than the USA,and firms like ILMOOR, with it's ex Cosworth staff, to see the way the cookie crumbled.
    In twenty years it went from 6,000revs to 20,000.
    Hp up from 300 to 1,000.
    Reliability as never before.
    Barring accidents all 24 cars will finish a race.

Create a formula------normally aspirated------regular fuel------length and weight to be decided----any manufacturer, YANK,JAP, CHINK, ARGY OR ITEYE, it don't matter if you keep to a formula.
    Stay away from Turbo's it'll be the death of car racing as we know it.
    Clever bit would be to see how little you could do it for-----KT's could resurrect the sport..

PS. I don't charge for this .

Thread Information