Thread: Jackie Wilson..

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Kt's are great we had a couple in OZ small block with 2 drive ssm
    Merc also had a package back then a KT 475hp Typhoon, was used in ski race boats but was suited to KT's

In the unlimited races in OZ on short tracks the KT's would race the unlimited hydro's a real David and Goliath stuff, hydros doing wide fast turns and the KT like an F1 tunnel boat on the corners.
    They need capsules though

Post Thanks / Like

Default We Are Lucky You Don't Charge

Quote Originally Posted by jackie wilson View Post
    Ron,if you look back to around the late sixties/early seventies there was a massive leap forward in motor technology.Tolerances got finer, RPM started to go through the ceiling, HP went ballistic, reliability increased beyond recognition.
    My own belief is that using a well tried V8 Ford, Cosworth Engineering re-designed it from top to bottom.
    This proved to be so successful that Honda, Toyota, and then the French and Italians soon started buying them, dismantling, and in some cases even improving their own motors as a direct result of the Cosworth.
    You don't have to look any further than the USA,and firms like ILMOOR, with it's ex Cosworth staff, to see the way the cookie crumbled.
    In twenty years it went from 6,000revs to 20,000.
    Hp up from 300 to 1,000.
    Reliability as never before.
    Barring accidents all 24 cars will finish a race.

Create a formula------normally aspirated------regular fuel------length and weight to be decided----any manufacturer, YANK,JAP, CHINK, ARGY OR ITEYE, it don't matter if you keep to a formula.
    Stay away from Turbo's it'll be the death of car racing as we know it.
    Clever bit would be to see how little you could do it for-----KT's could resurrect the sport..

PS. I don't charge for this .
    Where would you start? I don't see anyone standing around wanting to buy a $30,000 tunnel boat. Driver that drive MOD VP bottoms pull off some amazing things when they are driving. The Center Pod keeps them from "BLOWING OVER". I never worry putting a novice in a MOD VP. I never stop worrying when anyone drive a tunnel! I always think of Jay Root. He took an old Scotti, put a junk yard 4 banger in it, welded some pieces together, used an old Speedmaster and went so fast that the Inboard Division of APBA kicked out of the whole Division. Chad ahs a Pro Buggy. It used an Eco Tech Chevy. They bolt on about $2,500 worth of parts to a $600 junk yard motor and you go racing. The Buggie is like $27,000....OR $17,000 BUT THE MOTORS ARE $3,500 max cost. Maybe, after I get my Stadium Boats project done, I'll drop an Eco-Tech in a Mirage and use a Bravo drive.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you should start at the arse end and work backwards.
    There's no shortage of enthusiastic boaters with money, ie, POKER RUNS. ( 100+ at most meets )
    Just need guiding in the right direction.
    Well heeled individuals make fine sponsors, just a case of educating and gentle squeezing, and a huge dose of faith.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a word of warning-----and I can tell you this from bitter experience, create something off beat and every body loves it 'till the moment it starts winning-----then the world and his granny starts a bitching and a moaning, and screaming "ILLEGAL".
    Even when it conforms to UIM rules and regulations, the moanas and groanas and particularly the "establishment" will hate your guts for being different.
    Not one single driver ever tried to stop me racing or complained, was only "the top brass". Just listen to what I tell you.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like it happened to Jay Root as well.
    Bravo 1 just needs tidying up and a bit of sound engineering and it's fine, new elliptical box and a quillshaft and as the song says, WERE ALMOST THERE.

Post Thanks / Like

Default This Isn't Good, Jackie!!!

I don't have my Stadium Boats up and running and now you got me thinking KT....http://www.race-dezert.com/home/alum...-10-24393.html This is a Pro Buggy like Chad Hill has. It uses a 2.4 aluminum block Eco-Tech Chevy that must be sealed before you can race it. I've got an extra boat, Bravo and Alpha Gen II drives and I have a motor..... Here's the motor, the drive and the prop. Why no come over for the winter and rig it for me???
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Lo there Ronaldo, sorry for the delay, but I've been up to my fetlocks trying to finish a couple of sculptures for my grand daughter Louise and husband Gary ( Strake ), they both work @ Gieico, but are coming over this weekend for the Tottenham/ Man United soccer match, and I promised I would have them finished.
    Know this is not of much interest to anyone but me, but it's the best excuse you'll get as to why I'm so slow on the trigger this week.
    After I finished with boats I decided to forage into off roading and took a regular Range Rover, chopped 12" out of the chassis, moved the motor back and fiddled and farted about, but came up with a very interesting machine called ANIMAL.
    Had a modicum of success before wiping the whole lot into oblivion over a ravine and decided to retire gracefully with my tail still between my legs.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That was the Alpha 1 SS, it looked very cool, the lower and the upper were a pair. Most of the stuff is NLA
    The oil passage and the location dowels are in different places but can be altered to allow you to use either on stock alpha stuff.
    I would have thought that you need to have a basic old chev v8 and an alpha 1 in say a 20' boat ( to keep the speed down) for a CO(i)R inboard class
    Be nice to get them to run the same as the COR boats and then each race might have twice the starters what do you think?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Powerabout View Post
    That was the Alpha 1 SS, it looked very cool, the lower and the upper where a pair. Most of the stuff is NLA
    The oil passage and the location dowels are in different places but can be altered to allow you to use either on stock alpha stuff.

I would have thought that you need to have a basic old Chevy V8 and an Alpha I in say a 20' boat ( to keep the speed down) for a CO(i)R inboard class.
    Be nice to get them to run the same as the COR boats and then each race might have twice the starters what do you think?
    Well, after Quindazzi's and R and R Props Shop wreck this weekend, maybe capsule talks can resume. Without "BE LABORING THE POINT" but when Rod Zapf and I started COR 6-7 years ago we only envisioned 80 MPH with OLD Stokers, HST's, Bakers and the like. Next thing you know their are STV "RIVER ROCKET" types boats in the class running 90 MPD and turning like STV have ALWAYS TURNED...JJ Gibbs wrecked his STV at Parker in the Spring. Rod Zapf "Flew out" of his STV at Bakersfield in March and only raced the Enduro since. Now Quindazzi and R and R get together a destroy Quindazzi's STV.

When Drozd was killed in an STV, it was becasue the boat "HOOKED". Rusty Campbell, Chris Bush and other were alwasy driving "HRT" in the OLD MOD VP days becasue their SVT "HOOKED". I did not attend, the 2013 Parker, Thanksgiving Race but did watch COR on live feed. But I ony watch one heat and that was COR, as I looked like a good way to get someone killed. Emilio spun my Baker and tossed against the combing and broke either his shoulder or collar bone. R and R passed Quindazzi as he kept "HOOKING"...in the corners.

For short course racing CAPSULES are needed.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 12-05-2013 at 08:41 PM.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Capsule will kill the class. Design your corners better. None of the one pin power hook types. The corner at the 336 was basicly a 2 pin hook. With a third buoy, not in line with the 2 that were there it would be a nice easy arc.

Capsules are not the great savior. Raced them..been there done that. You think you have accidents now..wait till the boys have capsules! George May used to tell us in the OMC F1 series..you go in the turn 5 widths out you better be 5 widths on exit. If you didn't...one lap penalty. And we didn't run each other over because of it. The v-bottom boys in MN found out in the little VP class..... With out capsules..pretty cool..nice respect. When capsule boats showed up..lots of wrecked boats. No overlap rule and drivers who think they are invincible.

Now you need a diver with you and a rescue boat when you test. ( capsule boat) Bad idea. The speed has nothing to do with it...the nuts behind the wheel have everything to do with it.

Just my thoughts..

Thread Information