Thread: Jackie Wilson..

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Schubert T*A*R*T View Post
    I'll take your word for it as I hadn't seen him for a number of years. But wow, I would never have recognized him if I bumped in to him.
    He and Joan came to stay with us for a couple of weeks before the Bristol race, how the heck she ever stayed with him that long will always be a mystery. She had the patience of job and the forgiveness of a saint,B.D.P, lived life to the full and then some.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Schubert T*A*R*T View Post
    I'll take your word for it as I hadn't seen him for a number of years. But wow, I would never have recognized him if I bumped in to him.
    John:

That was during the period that Don was working with us on the Jesse James Super Boat project right after Mark Lavin's death. Billy Don had endured some urinary issues a few years before and also had some recurring hip and pelvic pain, but inside he was still as ornery as ever.
    OBSOLETE AND PROUD OF IT

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    John:

That was during the period that Don was working with us on the Jesse James Super Boat project right after Mark Lavin's death. Billy Don had endured some urinary issues a few years before and also had some recurring hip and pelvic pain, but inside he was still as ornery as ever.
    Rich, Billy Don used to share his " urinary" issues with anybody who happened to be around in a skirt, this also helped his backache and hip and pelvic pain. Don Juan was a mere beginner compared to our very own Billy Don Juan.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wild bunch

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ward View Post
    A photo from my archive taken at the 1987 Bristol Grand Prix.

L to R: Jackie Wilson, Don Ross, ???? , Charlie Sheppard, ????

There are 2 faces I do not recognise !!

Attachment 56035
    Its nice to see a picture of this wild bunch again i can remember Brian Hunt in the top corner of the picture he had a serious accident in the 1968 Paris 6hr race he was never the same again.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pinson View Post
    Its nice to see a picture of this wild bunch again i can remember Brian Hunt in the top corner of the picture he had a serious accident in the 1968 Paris 6hr race he was never the same again.
    Paris has a nasty habit of giving you a reason to remember, I have a couple of nasty moments I'd like to forget.
    Not many got away Scott free, you generally had to pay for the privelage ----there was never a free dinner at Paris.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dammit I meant privilege.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 04-09-2020 at 03:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jackie wilson View Post
    Rich, Billy Don used to share his " urinary" issues with anybody who happened to be around in a skirt, this also helped his backache and hip and pelvic pain. Don Juan was a mere beginner compared to our very own Billy Don Juan.
    Sadly he was hospitalized for quite a spell in early summer '86 for the "issues" and he never seemed to fully recover physically.
    OBSOLETE AND PROUD OF IT

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    Sadly he was hospitalized for quite a spell in early summer '86 for the "issues" and he never seemed to fully recover physically.
    Rich, I don't think he ever got over his horrendous accident at Havasu when he tore his hip out.
    He was never quite the same afterwards, the fire went out of him.
    Garbrecht, PRUETT , Merton, Stickle, Sirois,Welch, Biers, Wyrobeck, me and Ritchie Powers were at the Gin Mill, GG asked for all our I/D's.He put them in order of seniority------I was the oldest by a country mile, whilst PRUETT was way down the order.
    I still called him " Pop" in front of the others, he just had that sort of " lived in " kinda face that had been chewed, spit out and trod on, and the most lovable lopsided toothy grin that the ladies would chuck panties in the fire for.
    Then again, everyone loved PRUETT.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jackie wilson View Post
    Rich, I don't think he ever got over his horrendous accident at Havasu when he tore his hip out.
    He was never quite the same afterwards, the fire went out of him.
    Garbrecht, PRUETT , Merton, Stickle, Sirois,Welch, Biers, Wyrobeck, me and Ritchie Powers were at the Gin Mill, GG asked for all our I/D's.He put them in order of seniority------I was the oldest by a country mile, whilst PRUETT was way down the order.
    I still called him " Pop" in front of the others, he just had that sort of " lived in " kinda face that had been chewed, spit out and trod on, and the most lovable lopsided toothy grin that the ladies would chuck panties in the fire for.
    Then again, everyone loved PRUETT.

Don became good friends with us on the T*A*R*T Team, probably not approved by GG. He especially became close to Jim Briggs who like Don enjoyed his adult beverage. When I went to work at OMC, primarily Lawn-Boy, Jim had me send a Lawn-Boy riding mower to Don. A little trivia no one knows but me, I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Back to the 2.0L OMC back in the 70`s. Does anybody know if it was a cross flow or looper?

Thread Information