Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Jackie Wilson..

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ward View Post
    The Ford Cosworth outfit pictured above returned to the UK following its outing at Parker in 1979 and was displayed at the Motorboat Museum at Pitsea until it closed its doors in December 2010.

I understand it is returning to the US to be restored to its former glory.
    Jackie's son Mark has brought the boat to the states and is restoring it. If you want Jackie to resond on this site, just tell him Rotary John thinks he is a cantankerous old fart and doesn't know the difference between an outboard or an inboard. Jackie had the boat above certified as an OZ (unlimited outboard) because the engine and outdrive could be removed as a unit in about 15 minites. I belive that was part of the reason he was disqualifiwed at Parker; something about outboard, inboard or KT. Seems Jackie wanted to change his classification AFTER the race was over so he could claim the win in that class. I meet Jackie at OFF last year and he is really a nice guy

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tthibodaux View Post
    Just my 2 cents.. To everyone my posts have offended. I'm sorry.. I love the sport of boat racing and I'm a bit of a smart a!s but this is what it's all about.. History is way Cool guys.. Keep going.
    Don't be such a "Dingleberry" Timmy.------Boat racers thrive on insults and lies------just ask your gorgeous red head mom and tubby dad. If your not a smart arse---you ain't a racer. I been falling out with people all my life-----but i'm still friends with all of them.
    You do not have to apologise for saying the way you see it.
    By the way ----thanks for showing me the S+F site------it seems like a long time ago when you first told me about it. I have made a lot of new friends ,+ some very weird people with very odd ideas [Rotary John in particular]. Keep on a bitchin and a moaning and you will be a genuine boat racer-----------it's what they do. !!!!!!!
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rotary John View Post
    Jackie's son Mark has brought the boat to the states and is restoring it. If you want Jackie to resond on this site, just tell him Rotary John thinks he is a cantankerous old fart and doesn't know the difference between an outboard or an inboard. Jackie had the boat above certified as an OZ (unlimited outboard) because the engine and outdrive could be removed as a unit in about 15 minites. I belive that was part of the reason he was disqualifiwed at Parker; something about outboard, inboard or KT. Seems Jackie wanted to change his classification AFTER the race was over so he could claim the win in that class. I meet Jackie at OFF last year and he is really a nice guy
    You never could separate fact from fiction you old goat, you got it WRONG AGAIN.
    It was Bretts dad George who asked me to make up the class 3 bloody days BEFORE the event. Never gave a toss about trophies------have over 300 of em in tea chests under the workbench. A class win don't mean nothing unless you get the index with it.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ward View Post
    The Ford Cosworth outfit pictured above returned to the UK following its outing at Parker in 1979 and was displayed at the Motorboat Museum at Pitsea until it closed its doors in December 2010.

I understand it is returning to the US to be restored to its former glory.
    Hiya Mike, The museum was the WATT TYLER motor boat museum at Basildon in Essex was there for over 30 years until all the british bankers stole the councils money in the guise of bonuses and left the kitty dry.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    Karon May sent me this picture of Jackie and Brett at Parker, 1979, I think. They finished like third or fourth. But, the Cosworth people servicing the motor must have thought they were on Holiday at the pit stops. As they changed the oil....each stop....Maybe even changed the plugs...Had a spot of Tea and went back racing....
    RON__OH___RON Why is it that every time an OMC guy says something-----he says it wrong. Gets the fact mixed up with bean cans and puckwoodgies and talks out of his left elbow.
    Fact 1 we finished 6th overall---a terrible result.
    Fact 2 We had one 30 minute stop to change a gear case as a precautionary measure which went disastrously wrong when the combined efforts of Jerry Gilbreath and a sledge hammer went to work on a gear case that did not want a rest.
    Fact 3 the boat was capable of winning outright------was faster than Bentz and was totally consistent and reliable and never missed a beat in the whole of it's racing life which was just 8 months.
    Fact 4 The red light from the gearcase came on when i picked up a plastic bag which blocked the intake for while but it came off when i stopped for while. [took a leak].

Every trip to a race for the Cosworth crew was a holiday-------all the work had been done at home-------------they did not even give the rig a cursory glance when it came in for gas----wasn't their job.!!!!!!!!

As for changing the oil-----------the motor was in Le Mans Spec, which meant it would run 24 hrs non stop if required so there was never any need to even check the dip stick !!!!!!

Do you guys realize just how much more of a wonderful place AMERICA would have been if you had only chucked COFFEE into the harbour at Boston instead of TEA. JW.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 04-09-2020 at 03:07 PM.
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ron:
    I told you you would get him going.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lytle View Post
    Ron has the right idea.

A simple question would also be: Are you from the UK? That'll confirm he is ine and the same.

I met Jackie in the late 70's when he came to this side of the pond to race one summer. A wild and CRAZY guy! Ask him if he remembers Joe Gimbrone!
    Hey Jeff, You think i was crazy,and you knew Joe--------no contest--------Mad as a march hare, would put a rope round his neck and hoick a big block V8 clean of it's mountings and never stop talking to you. Had a wife with a colossal sense of humour and a couple of daughters that were same age as my own.
    My mechanic and i were discussing the fact that with shoulders like that and being built like a brick sh--house could one imagine the size of his 'Tallywhacker'. ????? His wife looked at Joe and said to me and Chas----------"you know what i call him"" ?????

Needle Dick----------The bug F----R, she roared with laughter and Joe just grinned at her.
    On my life that is absolutely true.

Joe was the guy along with Larry Lauderbach who dumped 70 tons of water in my lap before we even reached the first turn buoy at Valleyfield in '76.

We all then motored up to Cornwall or Bornwall ?????/ where all the locks were, but we got blown out with a cissy force 3 wind ---------Joe and i went out to test and agreed it was good to go, but the others went "pussy" on us ,so we just split the prize money and had a Barbie

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jackie

You dont hapen to have a photo of the back end showing the drive do you?

Cheers

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Powerabout View Post
    Hi Jackie

You dont hapen to have a photo of the back end showing the drive do you?

Cheers
    Grandson Craig has done a web site for the Cossie restoration, i think its www.wilson custom marine .com
    He will update the thing as it goes along.
    Originally thought it would be a fairly easy project---but on closer inspection 35 years out of the water has not done the old girl any favours, and Mark is up to his fetlocks in work on all fronts.
    There will be plenty of piccies of all aspects of the boat and it's drive and centrifugal clutch etc. JW

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jackie wilson View Post
    Grandson Craig has done a web site for the Cossie restoration, i think its www.wilson custom marine .com
    He will update the thing as it goes along.
    Originally thought it would be a fairly easy project---but on closer inspection 35 years out of the water has not done the old girl any favours, and Mark is up to his fetlocks in work on all fronts.
    There will be plenty of piccies of all aspects of the boat and it's drive and centrifugal clutch etc. JW
    Great stuff
    I will look forward to more photos
    Many thanks

Thread Information