Thread: Jackie Wilson..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Powerabout View Post
    A 2 LTR omc would be all custom
    I could only see carbs and ignition common to anything else

I`m not so convinced about that. Let us allow our imagination to run loose for just a minit and throw some coon *** teknology at it. The highly successful mod 50 OMC was a looper right. Ok then we multifi 50X2=100ci so now throw in some over size .044 over and how close can that get us to 122ci? I don`t know cause i ain`t smart enough or got enough fingers an tows to get there but it cain`t be far. Hell ole Mr OMC prolly had enough pull to get some .060`s made. Now all ya gotta do is get some fancy sleeves made by the machine shop an presto chango ya got a 122ci race mota. Hell maybe i shoulda been runnin OMC with smart thinkin like that.

T-Rex gotta millin machine an i got lots of ole OMC junk layin around so maybe we can build one to. Do ya`ll think they woould let us in COR with that? Dout it. Prolly against the rules.

DB

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dabull1919 View Post
    I`m not so convinced about that. Let us allow our imagination to run loose for just a minit and throw some coon *** teknology at it. The highly successful mod 50 OMC was a looper right. Ok then we multifi 50X2=100ci so now throw in some over size .044 over and how close can that get us to 122ci? I don`t know cause i ain`t smart enough or got enough fingers an tows to get there but it cain`t be far. Hell ole Mr OMC prolly had enough pull to get some .060`s made. Now all ya gotta do is get some fancy sleeves made by the machine shop an presto chango ya got a 122ci race mota. Hell maybe i shoulda been runnin OMC with smart thinkin like that.

T-Rex gotta millin machine an i got lots of ole OMC junk layin around so maybe we can build one to. Do ya`ll think they woould let us in COR with that? Dout it. Prolly against the rules.

DB
    Well thar ya go-----problem fixed------ could a bin a flyer, all ya needsa scrapyard an a mill.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If you were gunna weld 2 blocks togther you would use 31M,s.
    The only true race engine OMC ever produced
    ( and the 727 2ltr v6)

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Emailed Fred Hauenstein About 2.0 Liter OMC Motors

I have been reading this thread with much interest, but felt I knew little of the facts, So I haven't "JUMPED IN". But I did ask Fred Hauenstein what he remembers:

Re: OMC 2.0 FROM Fred Hauenstein

Hi Ron:

I do remember that Cees van der Velden dragged some of the old OMC 2.0 liter looper V-6s out of the Waukegan warehouse and tried to race them in the '90s. They weren't too successful because they didn't have a lot of parts to work with, the parts were old (16 years old sounds about right), and the Mercs had gotten better over the years; but they were still competitive! They were "earth shattering" in the mid '70s, winning the ON worlds and APBA titles, etc, several times.

That engine is a 90 degree Vee 6, not 60 degrees. By the way, the 6x2bbl carb/crankcase setup on the Evinrude CCC (like the one we won Parker with) and Johnson RS 2.5 L cross-flow race engines came from this 2.0 liter looper project. The same 90 degree 2.0 liter (122 CID) looper block also had 90, 98, 135 and 143 CID versions, but the entire project had no more than ~37 total cylinder blocks ever made.

The 2.0 engine was not developed further than a race-only engine because that was what the project was - race only. The blocks, etc, were sand cast only. Even the first pistons were sand cast!

I developed the engine in the mid 70s and the first prototype won the UIM ON class World Championship in 1975 (Cees at Cardiff). Jimbo also won the APBA nationals that year with that same engine in both MOD 120 and MOD U. It was clearly better than the Mercurys of that era. When I went to Mercury, I was amazed at how little power the Merc 2.0s had (~12% less than my 2.0 OMC loopers). The difference that made them competitive was that Merc had boats that were ~33% lighter!

I believe Leo Molendyk was managing the MERCURY performance center in Liege, Belgium, in the '80s. Then he did the OMC performance support in the '90s. But I think I remember the 2.0 liter OMC loopers were run out of Cees's operation in Holland???

Just a few memories of the old times.

Fred

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks Fred and Ron
    great to read some info on the engines as there is so little around. I wonder how many have survived other than Jakes one?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default OMC Two Litre

Quote Originally Posted by Powerabout View Post
    Many thanks Fred and Ron
    great to read some info on the engines as there is so little around. I wonder how many have survived other than Jakes one?
    Fred, very accurate, excellent memory.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    I have been reading this thread with much interest, but felt I knew little of the facts, So I haven't "JUMPED IN". But I did ask Fred Hauenstein what he remembers:

Re: OMC 2.0 FROM Fred Hauenstein

Hi Ron:

I do remember that Cees van der Velden dragged some of the old OMC 2.0 liter looper V-6s out of the Waukegan warehouse and tried to race them in the '90s. They weren't too successful because they didn't have a lot of parts to work with, the parts were old (16 years old sounds about right), and the Mercs had gotten better over the years; but they were still competitive! They were "earth shattering" in the mid '70s, winning the ON worlds and APBA titles, etc, several times.

That engine is a 90 degree Vee 6, not 60 degrees. By the way, the 6x2bbl carb/crankcase setup on the Evinrude CCC (like the one we won Parker with) and Johnson RS 2.5 L cross-flow race engines came from this 2.0 liter looper project. The same 90 degree 2.0 liter (122 CID) looper block also had 90, 98, 135 and 143 CID versions, but the entire project had no more than ~37 total cylinder blocks ever made.

The 2.0 engine was not developed further than a race-only engine because that was what the project was - race only. The blocks, etc, were sand cast only. Even the first pistons were sand cast!

I developed the engine in the mid 70s and the first prototype won the UIM ON class World Championship in 1975 (Cees at Cardiff). Jimbo also won the APBA nationals that year with that same engine in both MOD 120 and MOD U. It was clearly better than the Mercurys of that era. When I went to Mercury, I was amazed at how little power the Merc 2.0s had (~12% less than my 2.0 OMC loopers). The difference that made them competitive was that Merc had boats that were ~33% lighter!

I believe Leo Molendyk was managing the MERCURY performance center in Liege, Belgium, in the '80s. Then he did the OMC performance support in the '90s. But I think I remember the 2.0 liter OMC loopers were run out of Cees's operation in Holland???

Just a few memories of the old times.

Fred
    Now Fred, I believe most of what you ever comment on, you have been around the race boat scene and a UIM Commisioner since Pontious was a Pilate so normally I would not dare to question one of your statements.
    Just which boats were OMC using that were 33% heavier than Mercury .?
    All the boat builders I know were using the same timber, Molinari, Scotti, Seebold, Velden, Burgess, Hodges, Molgard and Clerici, methods were almost identical, and they were all pretty capable of using a spindle or router on the frames.
    There COULD have been a max of maybe 5% between the lot! unless Mercury had found a new fluff weight lumber for the much heralded but pug ugly Twistercraft.
    Glass boats were invariably heavier-------but I gather you didn't mean that, or did I get it wrong AGAIN..???

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

maybe it was the size of the fuel tank, they didnt call the tower of power fuel cooled for nothing
    so they had to cut a few corners elsewhere?
    lol cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Well it looks like the 2.0L OMC is no longer a mystery thanks to Mr Hauenstein and also Mr Hill for asking him the right question. Ya done good Ron.

DB

Burgess/Evinrude F1 V8 Lars Strom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I raced ON with a Molinari/Saffa/Evinrude 2 liter looper at Idroscalo, Italy 1978. I was invited to drive the boat by Renato.
    Finished second in the race, after Renato in a similar rig

This was a test race for me to get ready for the Paris 6 hours same year. Drove a Molinari/Saffa/Evinrude CCC in the OZ class with Angelo Vassena in Paris.

Here is a complete story on my racing site..http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/...inland-for-me/
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

My racing web site SVERA.se....http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/

Thread Information