Thread: Jackie Wilson..

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Fred
    You forgot to add that the engine was banned because it was so good.
    so OMC said ok its crossflows from now then..lol

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 1977 OMC Marathon Molinaris

Quote Originally Posted by jackie wilson View Post
    Now Fred, I believe most of what you ever comment on, you have been around the race boat scene and a UIM Commisioner since Pontious was a Pilate so normally I would not dare to question one of your statements.
    Just which boats were OMC using that were 33% heavier than Mercury .?
    All the boat builders I know were using the same timber, Molinari, Scotti, Seebold, Velden, Burgess, Hodges, Molgard and Clerici, methods were almost identical, and they were all pretty capable of using a spindle or router on the frames.
    There COULD have been a max of maybe 5% between the lot! unless Mercury had found a new fluff weight lumber for the much heralded but pug ugly Twistercraft.
    Glass boats were invariably h
    eavier-------but I gather you didn't mean that, or did I get it wrong AGAIN..???
    Hi Jackie I would like to add my comments about OMC running heavier boats ` Freds comments may be more true than you think in 1977 Molinari was now OMC s boatbuilder of choice he offered 2 boat sizes of around 17ft or marathon boats over 18ft for some reason the Factory ordered all marathon boats I think 6 or 7 were delivered for the OCT 77 Paris race and as you know I drove one of them these were good boats for Paris/Amsterdam/parker but I must add Molinari himself had won the Amsterdam race 6 weeks earlier and had run the smaller lighter version I myself was in that race as well `Molinari never raced a marathon boat again only in the 1978 Thames race even Hering brought the smaller Molinari to Bristol in 1978` if you watch the you tube video of the 1978 THAMES RACE the VELDEN boats are all around 17ft and Molinaris boat is larger. I myself had this problem in 1978 I had to have a new smaller lighter boat built for the 1978 races it would have been a waste time running the Molinari but I got it out again for the 1978 Paris race.Now you yourself Jackie saw the smaller white Molinari cat which ran at the last OFF event held at Cadillacs that was the size Molinari raced?`

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Steve, it shows how little I know. In 1970 I was running a 17'-----in 1971 it had come down to a 16' . That was my last Molinari. All the Cosworth boats were16'/17' until the V8 which was 18'+.
    Just when did Renato revert to 18'----I thought they finished with the Glastron/Carlson era.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Freddy Adds Some More....

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pinson View Post
    Hi Jackie I would like to add my comments about OMC running heavier boats ` Freds comments may be more true than you think in 1977 Molinari was now OMC s boatbuilder of choice he offered 2 boat sizes of around 17ft or marathon boats over 18ft for some reason the Factory ordered all marathon boats I think 6 or 7 were delivered for the OCT 77 Paris race and as you know I drove one of them these were good boats for Paris/Amsterdam/parker but I must add Molinari himself had won the Amsterdam race 6 weeks earlier and had run the smaller lighter version I myself was in that race as well `Molinari never raced a marathon boat again only in the 1978 Thames race even Hering brought the smaller Molinari to Bristol in 1978` if you watch the you tube video of the 1978 THAMES RACE the VELDEN boats are all around 17ft and Molinaris boat is larger. I myself had this problem in 1978 I had to have a new smaller lighter boat built for the 1978 races it would have been a waste time running the Molinari but I got it out again for the 1978 Paris race.Now you yourself Jackie saw the smaller white Molinari cat which ran at the last OFF event held at Cadillacs that was the size Molinari raced?`
    Ron Hill

Hi Ron:

I was referring to boat (bare) weight and in '78 OMC had Molinari against Merc's Seebolds and Veldens. OMC's Molinaris were around 400 pounds (bare boat) while Billy's Seebold was said to be at about 265 pounds (bare). In '77 I had a Velden at OMC (yellow boat) that was somewhat light, but it broke almost every time I ran it. And: "Molinaris never broke."

Other boats may have been up or down from these numbers, but the Molinaris we got at OMC in '78 were of beautiful woodworking craftsmanship - and paid the price by being heavy. How much did the CrazyHorse Molinari weigh?

I may be off a bit, but not much... But, if you look at complete rig weight at about 1200 pounds with a driver (a light one), the difference was around 10%. Still significant, though.

I know OMC would have been more competitive in ON or MOD 120 in '78 but for the boat weight. Cees won the ON worlds in '75 and '76 because he had boats that were as light as (or lighter?) than the Molinaris the Mercury Team was running then, and he was light, too.

Fred

ADD: 2.0 Liter OMC

Hi Ron:

Not exactly true. It lost out to the three liter looper V-6 I helped develop in factory racing (they didn't care about ON when the challenge was F-1). And then the 3 L was banned by OMC themselves in favor of the F-1 V-8s, which it might have outrun...? (The V-8s were loopers, though.)

Fred

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What an interesting post! WOW, is it great to get so much insider information. This is the stuff "Legends" are made of! Banned??? Too darn cold in Chicago.

Jeff Brown and Tom Ireland tested our first Molinari Mod50 in Parker. Jeff was impressed with how well the boat handled and how safe it ran. A quick calculation of speed and we determined it was 10mph slower than the old Burgess. Next gen was better!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Scimitar raceboat

Quote Originally Posted by jackie wilson View Post
    Steve, it shows how little I know. In 1970 I was running a 17'-----in 1971 it had come down to a 16' . That was my last Molinari. All the Cosworth boats were16'/17' until the V8 which was 18'+.
    Just when did Renato revert to 18'----I thought they finished with the Glastron/Carlson era.
    Hi Jackie hope you are keeping well`now you have me thinking we are talking about a long time ago even i had forgot how big the scimitar boats were like you ran in Rotterdam i have found the old plans out and even i had forgot it was a 19ft boat 20 ft overall less 1ft transom overhang with a 6ft 5in beam i have these drawings but will have to reduce them to post them?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=NERSTROM;137126]What an interesting post! WOW, is it great to get so much insider information. This is the stuff "Legends" are made of! Banned??? Too darn cold in Chicago.

Jeff Brown and Tom Ireland tested our first Molinari Mod50 in Parker. Jeff was impressed with how well the boat handled and how safe it ran. A quick calculation of speed and we determined it was 10mph slower than the old Burgess. Next gen was better![/QUOTE
    Beats the hell out of me how you can do a quick calculation and determine a new Molinari was 10mph slower than an old Burgess-------I just put any new boat on my home circuit and started the stopwatch, never ever did have a new boat that was slower than the old one.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pinson View Post
    Hi Jackie hope you are keeping well`now you have me thinking we are talking about a long time ago even i had forgot how big the scimitar boats were like you ran in Rotterdam i have found the old plans out and even i had forgot it was a 19ft boat 20 ft overall less 1ft transom overhang with a 6ft 5in beam i have these drawings but will have to reduce them to post them?
    Only ran the Scimitar for half a season, too safe, too heavy, too long, but loved the sloppy water.
    Sold it to a Dutchman after six races------got Hodges to build the little 16'. Sprint-----much more exciting. Had him put an adjustable wing on the front-----Renato took a lot of pictures of that little boat.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Another pic from my archive. The caption reads: "Jackie Wilson competing in the 1966 World EU Championship at Palamos, Spain in his König powered Bristol".

Surprisingly the event was dominated by Mercury powered craft !

Name:  Jackie in Spain.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  160.4 KB

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Omc 2.0 litre ccc

Quote Originally Posted by NERSTROM View Post
    Fred, very accurate, excellent memory.
    Hi Jim do you or Fred remember a one off 2.0 litre crossflow engine we had one at OMC Brugge Belgium I was told it was a sleeved down 2.5 engine and it looked the same to look at as the 2.5 everything identical to the 2.5 even carbs` we were supposed to run it in the 1976 Paris 6 hr race the racing department decided not to run it so we ran a 2.0 litre looper instead?

Thread Information