Thread: Jackie Wilson..

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ward View Post
    Another pic from my archive. The caption reads: "Jackie Wilson competing in the 1966 World EU Championship at Palamos, Spain in his König powered Bristol".

Surprisingly the event was dominated by Mercury powered craft !

Attachment 56158
    Yup, one of my worst races ever. Had the whole family over on holiday, had problems with the kids, the camper van the food ( squats).
    Water was sloppy and i was set up fast but could,t use it. Finished fifth and well pissed, but got the rig back to England OK had sold it to Dave Mintey for a big bag of gold and didn't want to bend it. Palamos was still a small fishing village back then, Thought the race was in Roses ????

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bristol 14ft v boats

Quote Originally Posted by jackie wilson View Post
    Yup, one of my worst races ever. Had the whole family over on holiday, had problems with the kids, the camper van the food ( squats).
    Water was sloppy and i was set up fast but could,t use it. Finished fifth and well pissed, but got the rig back to England OK had sold it to Dave Mintey for a big bag of gold and didn't want to bend it. Palamos was still a small fishing village back then, Thought the race was in Roses ????
    Hya Jackie those were the days looks like you were enjoying yourself anyway`i always thought they were good little boats when i started racing nearly everybody had one.
    Last year i went to Carr Mill Dam to watch some boatracing and they still had four or five of these boats still racing after the race was over i overheard the drivers laughing about these boats were over 20 yrs older than they were i think Charlie Shepherd would have been very proud?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pinson View Post
    Hya Jackie those were the days looks like you were enjoying yourself anyway`i always thought they were good little boats when i started racing nearly everybody had one.
    Last year i went to Carr Mill Dam to watch some boatracing and they still had four or five of these boats still racing after the race was over i overheard the drivers laughing about these boats were over 20 yrs older than they were i think Charlie Shepherd would have been very proud?
    Carr mill was one of the few clubs to have had enough sense to buy out the entire complex, huge house, nice grounds, a lake to race on, freehold.
    If memory serves me right, Len Melly was the force behind the purchase.
    LMBRC got offered the chance to buy the Iver lake and mansion, but they wanted the outrageous price of £25,000 for the lot, Len Britnell black balled the idea and the chance was lost, Johnny Hulme, Phil Toller, Ted Jones, and Cyril Benstead all wanted the club to purchase the lot but in the end Cape Asbestos bought it as a dumping ground.
    Rare as hell Charlie will be spinning in his grave to think 40 years on his Bristols are still running.
    Just as an aside,--------I bet you didn't know that Charlie bought a flat bottomed Shakespeare Avon Special, took the deck off, glassed some hooks in the side, opposite each other, tied ropes across, pulled the sides in until he had the very first V bottom Bristol. Don Ross and I were the only people who knew this.

Burgess/Evinrude F1 V8 Lars Strom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

A fun lunch with John Schubert and other well known boat racers…

at Sailors Return in Stuart, Florida

Click on the link below for full story and many more pictures..

http://svera.se/blogg/a-fun-lunch-wi...n-boat-racers/
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

My racing web site SVERA.se....http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I bet there was a lot of old boat racing stories passed around at that lunch Lars. Thanks for posting. That would have been a fun time just to listen in and hear the stories.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Strom View Post
    A fun lunch with John Schubert and other well known boat racers…

at Sailors Return in Stuart, Florida

Click on the link below for full story and many more pictures..

http://svera.se/blogg/a-fun-lunch-wi...n-boat-racers/
    Now that's truly OFF!!!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rotary John View Post
    Now that's truly OFF!!!!
    Hey Johno, the only one missing was you, -----you were mentioned in dispatches a few times, and no matter what, we all still love you to bits.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  dennis-and-jack-wilson-chase-regent-3-hour-64-16ft-bluefin-mr-keikaefer-built-by-john-merryfield.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  147.5 KB

Grahame Burton and Jackie Wilson at the 1964 Chasewater Regent 3 hour race with their 16ft Blufin Mr Keikaefer built by John Merryfield and fitted with a 100 Merc.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Jackie preparing to launch for a race at Southampton in 1969 - not health and safety issues in those days !

Name:  southampton 1969.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  153.4 KB

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ward View Post
    Name:  dennis-and-jack-wilson-chase-regent-3-hour-64-16ft-bluefin-mr-keikaefer-built-by-john-merryfield.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  147.5 KB

Grahame Burton and Jackie Wilson at the 1964 Chasewater Regent 3 hour race with their 16ft Blufin Mr Keikaefer built by John Merryfield and fitted with a 100 Merc.
    Can that really be fifty years ago Mike-----you sure that was a Bluefin ? It was a stretched Hal Kelly design, Ron Walbold (Wobbly) didn't do glass boats.

Thread Information