Thread: Jackie Wilson..

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Steve Pinson;140477]
    Quote Originally Posted by jackie wilson View Post
    . Hey Jackie never new Franki Holmes but I remember watching that boat a yellow yarecraft with help in black letters underneath it was at lakeside lido north sommercoates they had that many entries in those days they had to run 3 heats? Great fun was enjoyed by all good times to remember and did you ever hear the sound of those cresent outboard engines on the hydros I think Doug Willy ran one at Oulton Broad they were awesome.
    And the smell that was there all day!!
    Never got to know "Pip" Willey, but did know "Paddy"Rolfe------he was the English distributer for Konig----P&R Hydraulics at Walton On Thames-----knew Andy Chessman for years.
    London club was a hydro club previously -----so was South Staffs----come to think of it, the only one that wasn't was Cotswolds.
    Forget the name of the bad lad ( did a bit of bird for a while ) famous----- for inboard hydro's ----came out of the LOB? Late fifties?------blasted memories shot I'm afraid Steve.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default And chessman

[QUOTE=jackie wilson;140486]
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pinson View Post

And the smell that was there all day!!
    Never got to know "Pip" Willey, but did know "Paddy"Rolfe------he was the English distributer for Konig----P&R Hydraulics at Walton On Thames-----knew Andy Chessman for years.
    London club was a hydro club previously -----so was South Staffs----come to think of it, the only one that wasn't was Cotswolds.
    Forget the name of the bad lad ( did a bit of bird for a while ) famous----- for inboard hydro's ----came out of the LOB? Late fifties?------blasted memories shot I'm afraid Steve.
    . Andy Chessman drove a small Shakespeare Cat for marine sales Taunton Butch and Daves outfit with a 1000sbp Mercury at Windermere would have been 1972 while Marine Sales had took over all Bill Shakespears Johnson engines from Bob Glen in 1972. Both Jeff Edwards and myself raced another Johnson powered Shakespeare in the same race I can remember Andy Chessman spinning the little Shakespeare boat and came ashore the boat was left tied to a buoy. Andy didn't like how it drove and Rodger Jenkins came up to Dave said if I can get out to your boat can I drive it for the rest of the 3hr race which he did?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Steve Pinson;140493]
    . Andy Chessman drove a small Shakespeare Cat for marine sales Taunton Butch and Daves outfit with a 1000sbp Mercury at Windermere would have been 1972 while Marine Sales had took over all Bill Shakespears Johnson engines from Bob Glen in 1972. Both Jeff Edwards and myself raced another Johnson powered Shakespeare in the same race I can remember Andy Chessman spinning the little Shakespeare boat and came ashore the boat was left tied to a buoy. Andy didn't like how it drove and Rodger Jenkins came up to Dave said if I can get out to your boat can I drive it for the rest of the 3hr race which he did?
    Andy was a hydro man at heart but he persevered with a sit in hydro cat and gave the kneel ears a real hard time---great lad!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Steve it's that bloody stupid predicted text that keeps rearing it's ugly head , should have read "" kneelers"---------kneel ears my bum hole!!!-----can't get the staff any more.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Gawd L Pus

Don had this boat built by a friend of his----was known as "The ROSSINARI",had a tendency to fly when you least expected it, would also hook for no reason.
    . Hey Jackie I remember the Ross Saunders cat 1968 the Rossinari did it only do the one Paris 6 hr race I remember it got beat up pretty bad.I also remember Don advertising his Levi 16 v hull in the Motorboat and yachting and a club driver from Carr Mill called John Mellon bought and painted it blue his idea was to put a 9 stone jockey in it called Paul Yates and run it round Carr Mill and beat the lap record which I held at that time of 58 seconds(today's lap times with a DAC/Optimax is 38 seconds).Well he spent a couple of days trying different props but could not better 59 seconds.Well he rang Don to say that he didn't like the boat anymore so Don agreed to buy the boat back for a much lower price so Don put the boat Gawd L Pus back in its original yellow livery.Well this got me thinking Jackie how would you and Don have managed to win the 1969 Amsterdam 3hr International with that boat if the Carr Mill driver John Mellon had not asked for his money back?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pinson View Post
    . Hey Jackie I remember the Ross Saunders cat 1968 the Rossinari did it only do the one Paris 6 hr race I remember it got beat up pretty bad.I also remember Don advertising his Levi 16 v hull in the Motorboat and yachting and a club driver from Carr Mill called John Mellon bought and painted it blue his idea was to put a 9 stone jockey in it called Paul Yates and run it round Carr Mill and beat the lap record which I held at that time of 58 seconds(today's lap times with a DAC/Optimax is 38 seconds).Well he spent a couple of days trying different props but could not better 59 seconds.Well he rang Don to say that he didn't like the boat anymore so Don agreed to buy the boat back for a much lower price so Don put the boat Gawd L Pus back in its original yellow livery.Well this got me thinking Jackie how would you and Don have managed to win the 1969 Amsterdam 3hr International with that boat if the Carr Mill driver John Mellon had not asked for his money back?
    'Twas me that smashed the boat up in Liege, when Jeremy got himself deaded going over the wier, remember I told you the boat had a tendency to hard left for no reason.
    Didn't realize we HAD won Amsterdam .
    I had no love for the 16' Levi--the damn thing would bury it's nose underwater like a mole in a hurry ----so Don cut a foot of the front and gave it the ugliest turned up snout in powerboat history, it never submarined again.
    I couldn't make Stockholm so Don did the whole race and won it all on his own.
    Kim told me yesterday Thorneywork died recently, sorry to hear that R.I.P. Peter.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Peter Thorneywork powerboat racing driver.

'Twas me that smashed the boat up in Liege, when Jeremy got himself deaded going over the wier, remember I told you the boat had a tendency to hard left for no reason.
    Didn't realize we HAD won Amsterdam .
    I had no love for the 16' Levi--the damn thing would bury it's nose underwater like a mole in a hurry ----so Don cut a foot of the front and gave it the ugliest turned up snout in powerboat history, it never submarined again.
    I couldn't make Stockholm so Don did the whole race and won it all on his own.
    Kim told me yesterday Thorneywork died recently, sorry to hear that R.I.P. Peter.
    . So sorry Jackie to hear the sad news about my old friend Peter Thorneywork I had some good times with Peter we first met in 1969 at the Rabadanse French international race he had Rodger Jenkins with him as part of his crew he was driving one of Charlie Shepherds Bristol 16ft v hulls and we decided to team up together for the next up and coming race in Liege Peter bought a new Bristol Soggy moggy Cat and we fitted my Mercury 1250sbp engine to it this was the same race you entered the Rossinari in with Donn Ross.We never had a fall out even after I submarined that soggy moggy in the Thames race and broke it in two and flew it in the race after that Charlie just kept rebuilding it.The next race we teamed up together was the Chasewater 500 in 1970 we ran a Shakespeare cat with a Mercury Twister 1 engine which failed after 1hr but you and Don did much better you won the race and I hope you have't forgot about that Win either.Bill Shakespeare was building me a new boat for the Paris 6hr race so Peter and myself ordered a new Customer Johnson Stinger engine for that race which was the same race you drove with Molinari in 1970?.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Peter Thorneywork R.I.P.

Name:  thorneywork 2.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  327.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Jackie crewing for John Hulme in "Gemini". Frank Holmes in 34 "Sea Mistral". Mid-1960's ?

Name:  Jackie up front.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  314.0 KB

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ward View Post
    Jackie crewing for John Hulme in "Gemini". Frank Holmes in 34 "Sea Mistral". Mid-1960's ?

Name:  Jackie up front.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  314.0 KB
    Thats going back a while Mike. John was an absolute gentleman complete with monocle and an E type Jaguar [white of course and the V12] John never did things by half. I bought my first camper van from him a custom made Commer van conversion-- He wanted £400 for it , but i could only raise £350 so he let me have it anyway. Wonderful days----great memories.

Thread Information