Thread: Jackie Wilson..

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is that a steam powered gravel dredge in the background...
    how times change
    I can wait for someone to say to me, does that race engine have a carburetor, how do they work?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Powerabout View Post
    Is that a steam powered gravel dredge in the background...
    how times change
    I can wait for someone to say to me, does that race engine have a carburetor, how do they work?
    You got sharp eŷes Tinker, TIS indeed a steam powered dredger, Iver was a working gravel pit and they kept pulling ballast out for over 20years, Cape asbestos bought the lake, ( quarry or pit,) and used it as a dumping ground for years.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jackie wilson View Post
    You got sharp eŷes Tinker, TIS indeed a steam powered dredger, Iver was a working gravel pit and they kept pulling ballast out for over 20years, Cape asbestos bought the lake, ( quarry or pit,) and used it as a dumping ground for years.
    First job I ever had was working on a small suction cutter dredge for the marina that I ended up doing my apprenticeship with.
    The old boy (rip) that taught me a trick every day for that year was a 2 bob pom, George Bolton from Bolton, he used to run gravel dredges in the 30's and 40's during the war drafted to help US 8th army eng run constuction for the uk.
    Had lots of photos.
    He loved it as they brought all their own equipment that was light years ahead of the uk at the time.
    Cheers

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Woodlands park at Iver Heath was the home of The London Motor Boat Racing Club. LMBRC.. Was really too small to host full blown internationals----lap record in 1965 was 1min.06 secs with a Torriggia tunnel.
    We did hold the world OE Champioships there a few times, but the commodore was sh-t scared of the speeds that were being wrung out of 125hp motors, had a total dislike of tunnel boats and made the memorable remark that will go down in history--------"two of those on the course and we're full". ( tunnel boats ).
    It eventually was taken over by the skiers, sea scouts and the rag and stick brigade. Cape asbestos bought the lake and used it as a dumping ground, the fish all died and the lake got smaller, in the end, even junior boats couldn't use it.
    Do not know what happened to the dredger.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Woodlands park at Iver Heath was the home of The London Motor Boat Racing Club. LMBRC.. Was really too small to host full blown internationals----lap record in 1965 was 1min.06 secs with a Torriggia tunnel.
    We did hold the world OE Champioships there a few times, but the commodore was sh-t scared of the speeds that were being wrung out of 125hp motors, had a total dislike of tunnel boats and made the memorable remark that will go down in history--------"two of those on the course and we're full". ( tunnel boats ).
    It eventually was taken over by the skiers, sea scouts and the rag and stick brigade. Cape asbestos bought the lake and used it as a dumping ground, the fish all died and the lake got smaller, in the end, even junior boats couldn't use it.
    Do not know what happened to the dredger.
    http://www.britishpathe.com/video/power-craft-racing

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine was secs-e-u.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine was secs-e-u.
    That went down like a turd in a punch bowl -----must be a coupla years since they let me on this site.
    Fact I can never remember passwords might have had something to do with it.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That went down like a turd in a punch bowl -----must be a coupla years since they let me on this site.
    Fact I can never remember passwords might have had something to do with it.
    Just to let you all know, I'm alive and kicking------ making concepts of no particular value----for people I used to know who don't really want them anyway !
    Would show you some pictures of the stuff I cobble together, but me and the facts forum are "INCOMPATIBLE", always tells me that the photos are "INVALID"
    Thanks Deanne Pruett for getting in touch------my email address is -------jackwilson@macace.net.
    If you get in touch, I'll fill you in on the capers you're grand daddy and me used to get up to, Tell grandma Joan I sad hello.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

[attach]61891[/attached ]

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see your post's again Jackie. Like very much your English wit style of posts. Reminds me much of talking to my old friend Douglas "Pip" Willey. I have had though the same problem you have with pictures. I have not been able to figure out how to post pictures with this new format. I had a computer friend scan some up for me, and one worked OK. but after that, all went bad. I was able to post some of my Son on the Autograph thread, but they all turned out junk. Since then I have looked at some of my old threads, and every photo is terrible quality. I posted a lot that were not that good of a quality, but they needed to be part of the story, and were good as they helped tell the story. Most of these stories were of other members, and I happened to be able to add some visual to what they were saying. Unfortunately, I have noticed that all of the good photos I have posted have all been junked out. They are not clear and sharp anymore. I don't know how or why. I have not talked to Ron about it. I just got bummed out and quit trying to post pictures. Hope it can get straightened out soon.

Thread Information