Thread: Jackie Wilson..

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    Amen Jackie.

I don't like to get off target in a thread, particularly on a hot subject such as this. But this is one of the most interesting threads of all, and has wandered far and wide from its origins, so considering the latest news, it's appropriate. I don't think it would be a good idea to keep this current discussion up, so I want to lighten it up a bit and ask you about this mad dogs comment before we get back into boat racing. Kind of change the subject a little bit.

When I was in college in Central South Texas, I went to as many concerts as possible. My friends and I went to see Arlo Guthrie, Grateful Dead, Dave Mason, Black Sabbath, Jethro Tull, etc. One time in 1970 we drove down to San Antonio to see the Mad Dogs and Englishman Tour. We had no idea who it was or knew any of the performers. Turned out it was Joe Cocker, Leon Russell, Rita Coolidge, the fuzzy headed guy with a lisp that announced at Woodstock, etc. It was one of the best concerts we ever saw, but did not know anyone in the group. A documentary was made, which I saw in a theater a couple of years later, and many in the group became famous. Now my question is....what is it about Mad Dogs and Englishmen that caused them to name that tour? I have heard that phrase since then, but I'm unclear as to the underlying meaning.
    Joe Cocker lived 10 mins away from me as a kid i saw him perform at a local nightclub called the Penny Farthing when he would have been about 25yrs old. He went by the name of VANCE ARNOLD we all new he would do well.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Amen Jackie.

I don't like to get off target in a thread, particularly on a hot subject such as this. But this is one of the most interesting threads of all, and has wandered far and wide from its origins, so considering the latest news, it's appropriate. I don't think it would be a good idea to keep this current discussion up, so I want to lighten it up a bit and ask you about this mad dogs comment before we get back into boat racing. Kind of change the subject a little bit.

When I was in college in Central South Texas, I went to as many concerts as possible. My friends and I went to see Arlo Guthrie, Grateful Dead, Dave Mason, Black Sabbath, Jethro Tull, etc. One time in 1970 we drove down to San Antonio to see the Mad Dogs and Englishman Tour. We had no idea who it was or knew any of the performers. Turned out it was Joe Cocker, Leon Russell, Rita Coolidge, the fuzzy headed guy with a lisp that announced at Woodstock, etc. It was one of the best concerts we ever saw, but did not know anyone in the group. A documentary was made, which I saw in a theater a couple of years later, and many in the group became famous. Now my question is....what is it about Mad Dogs and Englishmen that caused them to name that tour? I have heard that phrase since then, but I'm unclear as to the underlying meaning.
    Joe Cocker lived 10 mins away from me as a kid i first saw him perform at a local night club called the PENNY FARTHING he went by the name of VANCE ARNOLD we all thought he would do good.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Joe cocker

Amen Jackie.

Joe Cocker lived 10 mins away from me as a kid i first saw him perform at a local nightclub called The Penny Farthing he went by the name of Vance Arnold he would have been around 25yrs old at the time we all new he was good.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That's what makes this thread on of the most interesting Jackie.

Just wish more of the "oldies" would come out with some of yesterday's tales, a lot of them have far more interesting stories than I ever had Wayne.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Joe Cocker

Amen Jackie.

Joe Cocker lived about 10 mins from my house when he was a kid the first time I saw him sing was at a local night club called the Penny Farthing he went by the name of Vance Arnold he would be around 25 yrs old at that time we all thought he would make it big someday.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Joe Cocker

Amen Jackie.

. Joe Cocker lived about 10 mins from my house when he was a kid the first time I saw him sing was at the Penny Farthing nightclub he went by the name of Vance Arnold he would be about 25 yrs old at that time we all thought he would make it someday

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Joe Cocker

Amen Jackie.

. Joe Cocker lived about 10 mins from my house when he was a kid the first time I saw him sing was at the Penny Farthing nightclub he went by the name of Vance Arnold he would be about 25 yrs old at that time we all new he would make it big someday.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Joe cocker

Amen Jackie.

Joe Cocker lived about 10 mins from me as a kid i first saw him sing at the Penny Farthing nightclub he would be about 25yrs old at the time went by the name of Vance Arnold i always thought he would do good.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jackie wilson View Post
    Just wish more of the "oldies" would come out with some of yesterday's tales, a lot of them have far more interesting stories than I ever had Wayne.

Old boat racers are like fish----------they think about it forever before they take the bait!
    It will happen, but there's no telling when!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jackie wilson View Post
    Old boat racers are like fish----------they think about it forever before they take the bait!
    It will happen, but there's no telling when!
    When i think back about boat racing with you Jackie and missed opportunities if you had the big Cosworth outfit finished in early 1977 you could have cruised around in the river Thames race and won so easily.

Thread Information