Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Jackie Wilson..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks, Jackie...

I went to George May's 90th birthday party last weekend, May 14, 2011. I saw Brett May there but we never really got time to talk.

Thanks for correcting me on the Cosworth Story, not sure where I heard what I heard, I probably just made it up.

As far as two liters goes, how many lites in F1 auto racing???? We are racing 2.0 Mercs on MOD VP boats with carbs and 2.6 CC Heads.

Some of the greatest tunnel racing in America, without a doubt, was when 2.0 liter Mercury was IOGP/CHAMP BOAT OR...

NASCAR has their car of tomorrow. Tunnel boat could do the same, run 2.0 liters....maybe in another life time!
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:09 PM.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    I went to George May's 90th birthday party last weekend, May 14, 2011. I saw Brett May there but we never really got time to talk.

Thanks for correcting me on the Cosworth Story, not sure where I heard what I heard, I probably just made it up.

As far as two liters goes, how many lites if F1 auto racing???? We are racing 2.0 Mercs on MOD VP boats with carbs and 2.6 CC Heads.

Some of the greatest tunnel racing in America, without a doubt, was when 2.0 liter Mercury was IOGP/CHAMP BOAT OR...

NASCAR has their car of tomorrow. Tunnel boat could do the same, run 2.0 liters....maybe in another life time!
    Would loved to have been there------just to wind the old boy up--He has been one of the stalwarts of power boating in the USA for many years.
    Saw Brett myself last October at the annual OFF get together, but he didn't manage to get Karen to show up--[ think she's avoiding me ].
    Can't imagine why anyone would think GG had anything to do with "The Cosworth". When GG and i fell out big time at Windermere [ the day after Shakey Bill disappeared into the depths] I told him in my own gentle and subtle way----------" Do not need YOU to go boat racing,---------will build my own bloody boat and wipe the floor with you". It was all said in the heat of the moment after he took my little 16' sprint Molly and motor away.
    That had a 1000 BP on it and was quicker than most of the 1250's.

Duckworth was instrumental in laying out the formula for F1 cars.
    He believed super or turbo charging was bad for F1 and a capacity limit had to be strictly enforced for as long as possible ---ie; no rule changes for 3 years.
    He was of the opinion you should give the teams a measured amount of fuel and a distance to run and a maximum time to do it in------then throw all the balls in the air and see what comes up-------still a very interesting theory.

Why allow anyone to alter a factory spec ????? It only leads to huge expense and cheating. Get a level playing field and stock equipment and tight governing with sensible rules-------the only way to get the numbers back.

Champ boat racing was good and still is. BUT________you know and i know if you get Anderson to play with the lump it will come home long before the one out of the box. Get it regulated and smack the rule benders hard.
    The best laid plans of mice--men---and tunnel boat racing must be firm and positive. Rules adhered to-----long term policy---and run by people who can------not people who are important in the wine growing or technology industry or garbage can collecting---but as always CASH COUNTS. So it will probably never happen again.

Thank God i was born when i was and lived the time.

Betcha NASCAR has it's plans laid out for the next 10 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jackie,

Found this old Paris report, (must have been a proud day). Looks like the same rig at Fairford, I'm guessing it was a couple of months previous to Paris during the summer of 1979.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

the boat i gave to Mark----wasn't a great boat-------and i never raced a boat again----had scared myself sh-tless in Paris trying to prove i was better than him -------but of course i wasn't. He was always a more accomplished driver than me ------------Dammit he had been going to races since he was 5 years old ,so he must have learned something

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jackie Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by mintominto View Post
    Hi Jackie,

Found this old Paris report, (must have been a proud day). Looks like the same rig at Fairford, I'm guessing it was a couple of months previous to Paris during the summer of 1979.
    I'm not sure this is 1979 as I remember running T-4's in 1979. I also remember driving the JPS #10 with Tom in 1977. Or, are these T-4's? I raced in Paris from 1976 thru 1979. I thought JPS dropped out in 1978 - not sure as I don't rest my "Small Grey Matter" like Jackie does....
    Lee

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jackie Wilson..

Quote Originally Posted by jackie wilson View Post
    WELL_____SOD MY OLD BRITCHES-----if it's not the boy himself. The last time i saw you was at the Seebold house in St Louis about 15 years ago.

You used to race with Percy in the european Marathons, ie, Paris 6 hours.

Why the hell didn't the 2 factories listen to the racers instead of the accountants and pen pushers who knew bugger all about anything except product and profit margins.

Bed time now----turned 11 pm so will comment more tomorrow when the little grey cells are rested-------great to hear from you again Lee, how's the golf coming along------but you could always give Mr Bill a thrashing with one hand tied behind your back [on a golf course]
    Didn't we wind up down at Lake of the Ozarks? Good thing we didn't drink then...as we might have made fools of ourselves. I remember having the jet ski races, go cart races, golf tournaments and racing all the offshore boats with the 20' Ski Eagle with an modified 2.4 under the hood in 4' rollers on Sunday afternoon. I really appreciate and miss those times!!!

Why don't you take a nap then you can stay up later?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Sutter View Post
    Didn't we wind up down at Lake of the Ozarks? Good thing we didn't drink then...as we might have made fools of ourselves. I remember having the jet ski races, go cart races, golf tournaments and racing all the offshore boats with the 20' Ski Eagle with an modified 2.4 under the hood in 4' rollers on Sunday afternoon. I really appreciate and miss those times!!!

Why don't you take a nap then you can stay up later?
    That sure was a wonderful time, going up to the ozarks and eating Lynn's sloppy Joes complete with one or two of her false fingernails that just dropped off as she was serving up.

4 Buds and Billy was anybody's-------5 and he was out cold.

They were the memories of a lifetime.

Lee---i have to tell you---i DO take a nap and i still go to bed before midnight.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Sutter View Post
    I'm not sure this is 1979 as I remember running T-4's in 1979. I also remember driving the JPS #10 with Tom in 1977. Or, are these T-4's? I raced in Paris from 1976 thru 1979. I thought JPS dropped out in 1978 - not sure as I don't rest my "Small Grey Matter" like Jackie does....
    Lee
    Was definitely '79. Had run Parker earlier that year with the Cosworth and knew i was too old to challenge the young bloods, so had decided to retire. The 79 Paris was the last time i ever raced a boat.

You should get to rest 'THE LITTLE GREY CELLS' more often.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jackie wilson View Post
    Funny thing is---------i expected to be challenged on these matters, but nearly a year on and nobody has disagreed with my views.

Omc and Mercury between them screwed up boat racing for the next 20 years.

If half a dozen responsible people want copies of the 4 FONDA newsletters to see the way the sport was heading under David Parkinson' guidance. I will gladly send you them.
    Have promised a copy to Nick Springate, but cannot send them to individual enthusiasts

Suppose some one who knows what they are doing could post them on here for all to see.
    there's some great historical sh-t in those items, concerning some big names like Renato M> who threatened to sue my asse off if i didn't send him a written apology------------that was dead in the water from the start.
    I should keep quiet---------i only get into trouble -------and to think young Timmy thinks he's a smart mouth.!!!!!!!!
    Jackie: What many of you "racers" forget is the factories were not in racing at the time to promote boat racing, but to advertise that brand X was faster or more duralble than brand Y. Each would do anything to beat the other. It was Charlie vs Charlie. Win at any cost and both factories spent tons of money trying. The rotary is one example. The entire program was "beat the black bastards" and was only a stop gap measure until the V-6 was ready. When OMC was getting beat regularly by Merc with V-6's. Out came the OMC V-8. Why did Strang get out of F-1 racing; because everyone was running OMC V-8's and there was no more PR value is Johnson beating Evinrude. If boat racing is ever going to sucessful, its got to be run with a tight fist ala NASCAR. The fans want to see 2 Chevys, a Dodge and 3 Fords 10 feet apart on the last lap. The Champ boat demise is the lastest example of this. From a spectators point of view, it looked all the same; Siebolt tunnels with Merc engines. Get some rest OLD chap, your gery mater is getting tired.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rotary John View Post
    Jackie: What many of you "racers" forget is the factories were not in racing at the time to promote boat racing, but to advertise that brand X was faster or more duralble than brand Y. Each would do anything to beat the other. It was Charlie vs Charlie. Win at any cost and both factories spent tons of money trying. The rotary is one example. The entire program was "beat the black bastards" and was only a stop gap measure until the V-6 was ready. When OMC was getting beat regularly by Merc with V-6's. Out came the OMC V-8. Why did Strang get out of F-1 racing; because everyone was running OMC V-8's and there was no more PR value is Johnson beating Evinrude. If boat racing is ever going to sucessful, its got to be run with a tight fist ala NASCAR. The fans want to see 2 Chevys, a Dodge and 3 Fords 10 feet apart on the last lap. The Champ boat demise is the lastest example of this. From a spectators point of view, it looked all the same; Siebolt tunnels with Merc engines. Get some rest OLD chap, your gery mater is getting tired.
    Johnno, It's easy to see you are an engineer and not a PR man -cause the draught coming out of your rectum could only be the result of a misguided and frustrated boffin with a bad dose of indigestion and collywobbles wanting to vent his ire on anyone who happens to be in the vicinity. Never heard such utter tripe and nonsense in the whole of my long being.!!!!!!!!!!
    When ole Carl started to promote his product via the racepond--------wasn't long before the sales went up a tad and the other side wanted to know what was going on, and joined in the fun. Then the party started. the factory wars were great-----but you made a coupla mistakes-------------there should have been a capacity limit---which never came------and then there was the WANKEL----a very expensive disaster-------open cheque book----millions spent and 4 working models and a 2 spares and shelved after -----what 2----3 years. Don't kid me it was a stop gap effort---------that's bollocks and you know it. Great for the boffins but still an abject failure. The V6 was a good little runner but was never the equal of the Merc-------so we come to the waste of space lump of a motor the mighty V8---- Killed and maimed more pilots than any other engine in the history of the sport and was useless as an outboard to the industry due to its weight and awesome power. No manufacturer had a boat in production that could take it------and there weren't too many takers. Died a natural---as was fitting . Do believe the V6 merc is going strong but i still think they will shoot themselves in the foot if they continue the horse power race.

The OMC V8 series lasted 3 years . the V6 Mercury is still alive and well and still running-------------what more can i tell you?????????

Thread Information