Thread: Jackie Wilson..

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

For all you state side racers. The definition of a "buffon". Someone who takes a Ford F-1 V-8, puts it in a boat and tries to call it an outboard.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Jackie: I invited you to come over to BRF in hopes you would leave your sarcastic druel on S&F and add some intelligent insite. I was wrong. I suggest you just go back there and sling all the sarcasm you like.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rotary John View Post
    Jackie: I invited you to come over to BRF in hopes you would leave your sarcastic druel on S&F and add some intelligent insite. I was wrong. I suggest you just go back there and sling all the sarcasm you like.
    Gather you just withdrew your invite-----was fun for a while-------sorry to have rocked your boat bye.

Burgess/Evinrude F1 V8 Lars Strom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rotary John View Post
    For all you state side racers. The definition of a "buffon". Someone who takes a Ford F-1 V-8, puts it in a boat and tries to call it an outboard.
    Hehe Rotary John..and then he give the real Evinrude-Johnson V-8 racing outboard a hard time..
    To heavy, no good etc..bla, bla, bla..

I think it still look modern..25-30 years later..
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

My racing web site SVERA.se....http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/

Post Thanks / Like

Default S and F......Please Stay on BRF...

I left S and F a few years back when they tried to tell me Mercury guaranteed their race props. Have not been back since.

Anyway, Jackie speaks pretty well for an Englishman.

One or two things:

1. OMC's race V-8 was a well designed motor, I feel. But their production V-8 didn't have an even firing crankshaft and as a result the PRODUCTION V-8 sounded like a V-4. Loosely translated, it sounded like a TURD! I had a 3.6 V-8, once we got rid of the rev limiters it w as a total animal...On a Production 21' Eliminator, we ran through the kilos at 121....MPH...I know 2.5 EFI's have gone 134 MPH on MOD VP type boats....I've never had a 2.5 Mercury run 121 on a 21 foot Eliminator Daytona...

2. When Garbrecht was running the TEAM for OMC and racing in the races. Anyone with half a brain could quickly figure out that GARY'S boats were faster......Back in the TEAM MERCURY days, I clearly remember Renato asking Gary, at the Six Hours of Paris, if his motor was the same as Sirois's motor. Gary explained it was....Sunday morning before the Six Hours of Paris, Renato again asked Gary again, if his motor was the same as Bill's. Garbrecht assured him it was. Renato then said, "Good as we switch powerheads in the night..." Renato led the first lap and went on to win.....

3. Charlie Strang always kept Bill France from NASCAR on OMC's board of directors....Strang always covered his ***........except maybe in the Jimbo settlement....Strang is the guy who fines the Tony Stewarts...and Kyle Busches now days...

4. I will say it again, it really never was about OMC winning, it was WHO WOULD WIN WITH AN OMC....Tom Ireland and Jeff Brown beat the OMC factory Team at St. Louis one day. The next day they retired from racing.........or they could have lost their jobs in OMC's Service Department....

5. Engineers are NOT MARKETERS!

Love your posts, Jackie. Please feel free to talk about anything....at any time!!!

I was wrong about the Cosworth....but it might have been the first time I was wrong...

Laras was tough in OE...??? I always thought John HILL was the OE KING!!!! (But ALL OMC's PROPELLERS came from me, then through Paul Kalb. I never had favorites...I just made props the best I could).
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 05-21-2011 at 07:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hehe Ron..I remember what Gary told me.. when Merc came with the new 3,4 liter
    T-4.. V-6 in/for the Bristol race 1979..

Lars.."there is no substitute for cubic/inch"......and I know there was way bigger V-8 race engines coming out of the Second Effort shop in Florida..all the way up to 4,6 liter..
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    I left S and F a few years back when they tried to tell me Mercury guaranteed their race props. Have not been back since.

Anyway, Jackie speaks pretty well for an Englishman.

One or two things:

1. OMC's race V-8 was a well designed motor, I feel. But their production V-8 didn't have an even firing crankshaft and as a result the PRODUCTION V-8 sounded like a V-4. Loosely translated, it sounded like a TURD! I had a 3.6 V-8, once we got rid of the rev limiters it w as a total animal...On a Production 21' Eliminator, we ran through the kilos at 121....MPH...I know 2.5 EFI's have gone 134 MPH on MOD VP type boats....I've never had a 2.5 Mercury run 121 on a 21 foot Eliminator Daytona...

2. When Garbrecht was running the TEAM for OMC and racing in the races. Anyone with half a brain could quickly figure out that GARY'S boats were faster......Back in the TEAM MERCURY days, I clearly remember Renato asking Gary, at the Six Hours of Paris, if his motor was the same as Sirois's motor. Gary explained it was....Sunday morning before the Six Hours of Paris, Renato again asked Gary again, if his motor was the same as Bill's. Garbrecht assured him it was. Renato then said, "Good as we switch powerheads in the night..." Renato led the first lap and went on to win.....

3. Charlie Strang always kept Bill France from NASCAR on OMC's board of directors....Strang always covered his ***........except maybe in the Jimbo settlement....Strang is the guy who fines the Tony Stewarts...and Kyle Busches now days...

4. I will say it again, it really never was about OMC winning, it was WHO WOULD WIN WITH AN OMC....Tom Ireland and Jeff Brown beat the OMC factory Team at St. Louis one day. The next day they retired from racing.........or they could have lost their jobs in OMC's Service Department....

5. Engineers are NOT MARKETERS!

Love your posts, Jackie. Please feel free to talk about anything....at any time!!!

I was wrong about the Cosworth....but it might have been the first time I was wrong...

Laras was tough in OE...??? I always thought John HILL was the OE KING!!!! (But ALL OMC's PROPELLERS came from me, then through Paul Kalb. I never had favorites...I just made props the best I could).

Hehe Ron..I remember what Gary Garbrecht told me.. when Merc came out with the new 3.4 liter T-4.. V-6 in/for the Bristol race 1979..

Lars.."there is no substitute for cubic/inch"...
    ...and I know there was way bigger OMC V-8 race engines coming out of the Second Effort shop in Florida..all the way up to 4.6 liter
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Post Thanks / Like

I like this ad..!!
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jackie wilson View Post
    Lasse, the only sponsorship i ever got was free spark plugs from Champion and 2 seasons petrol from Shell. The rest i got the M.B.E. for, [my bloody efforts]. Never did get the O.B.E. [ other buggers efforts ].

Paid Barry a very fair price for the GMC 6 wheel camper, 26' long with every conceivable comfort on board, as well as 100 MPH performance. Was always the flashiest camper on the circuit, and took the family and my mechanic with me everywhere. We really did race for the fun of it

Barry could talk the hind legs off a donkey and could always pull a good sponsor,after he left Suzuki he never was quite the man. The guy who looked after him was another great friend of mine Rex White ----Suzuki race team manager for a hell of a long time.

Gotta tell you Lasse ---You will always be best remembered as being unbeatable in the F3 class year after year and the battles with John Hill and Roger Jenkins and Tony Williams --------not for your time in the V8, Lord i wish i could keep quiet ---just for a while.
    Yes Jackie..I did never get to success in the V8 class..
    I raced SE-OE-and ones with the OMC 2 liter Molinari/Saffa boat in Italy 1978.
    Then OZ in Paris 1978 with Angelo Vassena in one of Molinaris Saffa boats..

My opinion is..and I know Jimbo McConnell agree..The OE/F3/Mod 50 class was one of the best racing classes..
    I love those years with Jenkins and John Hill in the class.
    Being from little Sweden was not easy back then.. to fight with the big Boat racing nations like England- Italy and the United States..

Most fun was racing in England back then.. like Bristol, Nottingham, Chasewater, Cardiff, London and a few more places..
    Hehe..really like the Fancy Dress partys in Nottingham..(the row boat station)..

The Jenkins family always took good care of me..You remenber all of Rogers "crazy friends"..
    Can not even write down there nick/names...and I am sure you understand why..
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Strom View Post
    Yes Jackie..I did never get to success in the V8 class..
    I raced SE-OE-and ones with the OMC 2 liter Molinari/Saffa boat in Italy 1978.
    Then OZ in Paris 1978 with Angelo Vassena in one of Molinaris Saffa boats..

My opinion is..and I know Jimbo McConnell agree..The OE/F3/Mod 50 class was one of the best racing classes..
    I love those years with Jenkins and John Hill in the class.
    Being from little Sweden was not easy back then.. to fight with the big Boat racing nations like England- Italy and the United States..

Most fun was racing in England back then.. like Bristol, Nottingham, Chasewater, Cardiff, London and a few more places..
    Hehe..really like the Fancy Dress partys in Nottingham..(the row boat station)..

The Jenkins family always took good care of me..You remenber all of Rogers "crazy friends"..
    Can not even write down there nick/names...and I am sure you understand why..
    Roger [ the mouth] Jenkins had a lovely family. I got on well with his dad who did all the running about for Roger and his long suffering wife was a joy to talk to. His boy could play the piano and guitar----------but then Roger did have a music shop in Cardiff.
    I once swopped him an 1100 Merc for a superb upright piano which he bought back off me many years later.

I was very close to joining the OE race class with a Burgess and an 850 OMC------reason being they seemed to be having more fun than i was, Jenkins and Williams tried very hard to get me to join them

Don't give me that poor little Sweden bit-----you produced some very fierce competitors over the years and Molgard was always a great boatbuilder.
    You made your mark in boat racing history----even from poor little old Sweden.!!!!!!

Thread Information