Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barry Woods.. AKA "King Woods"...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Barry Woods.. AKA "King Woods"...

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...=1959#post1959

I wrote a little about Barry Woods, Margarite Woods, at Jack Leek's Memorial, gave me some great pictures of Barry's racing....

These three pictures are Barry's early days...of twin Merc's...and a single OMC...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Picture of the Week...

Barry "Flying" the Concrete Coring TRIPLE C at.....Paris...1973???

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This shot was from Philadelphia Pa. in 1978, we had just run at Norfolk Va. a few days before and this race was on July 4th.

We arrived at the pits early in the morning, the race was run on the river separating New Jersey and Pa.

The security arrived while we were prepping the boat, it was a bus full of phillys best wearing riot gear, this should have given me some idea what the day was going to be like.

the weather was crap, they ran a few classes, SJ maybe SE but it was way to windy and rough to really race. There were quite a few spectators so the promoter got with Bill Seebold and decided to put the mod U boats on the water (there was a good cash prize for the big boats to race) so like I said bill somehow got this thing going, I believe the promoter told Bill that if you guys get in the water we will pay you X not a race but a "show" well Bill didnt tell anyone else about the deal except that the race was on.
    so he goes out there and stalls and doesnt make the starting line(still getting paid for being on the water though) but Fred, Barry,Packer and I think Buck race. If you look at the picture the flag on the submarine is flying full so that should give you an idea what it was like.

How any of these guys finished I have no idea but they did, later that evening at the banquet I remember Barry being really pissed at the promoter wanting his full share of the prize money (not sure if he ever got it) .
    So enough of the pomp and big wigs I decide to take a walk outside and watch the fireworks, got a six pac of Bud (they were selling them on the street corners and I headed to the pits to check on the boat (about 4 blocks)
    the boat was fine as the riot squad boys were keeping a real good eye on things.
    So I was walking down the promenade and this cop drove up wanting to know what in the hell I was doing out there in the dark? well I had my team Evinrude jacket on, told him I was checking on the boat and was heading back to the hotel, he says "get in" now I don't know if I'm busted for being somewhere I shouldn't be or drinking in public or what so I say "well I'm drinking a beer" he says "got any more?" well I didn't so here we are driving in his car, he's telling me he is doing shore patrol because he blew away some guy this week and his boss is pissed. so off we go to the hotel, keep in mind there are about 20,000 people who are trying to leave downtown since the fireworks show is over the other cops are trying to direct traffic out of downtown and this guy is trying to get into downtown, he has his blue lights on going, on the sidewalk, around cars and pissing off the other cops they are yelling, he is yelling right back and all I want to do is get back to the hotel.

So we finally pull up I hop out, finish the rest of my can crush it and set on the floor of his car and say thanks for the ride. There were a few racers and crew having a cold one outside in the little courtyard bar and I did get some looks when I drove up, got out, smiled and went inside.Quite the night in Philly!!. The next stop was Valleyfield now there's a place!!!!!!

Carl
    Last edited by carl lewis; 03-30-2007 at 05:57 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

Default You Could Not Help But Love Him....

Somewhat like Elvis...Barry was "The King"....He didn't race for his health...he raced to win!!!

This is the KING and Charlie Strang....

Around 1974-75...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Havasu...

Not sure what year, photo by Gary Mumaw

Always loved this boat...I think I could have driving it....Maybe not as fast as Renato or Barry, but I could have driven it.... Guessing 1980..here!
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 09-22-2018 at 11:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just Talked To Barry...

Barry was having trouble "logging in". So, I called him..

A. He wanted everyone to know, he ALWAYS got paid...may have taken awhile, but he did get paid..

B. His favorite, Ron Hill Story, is Paris, 1972...Were checking out of the Paris, Hilton, and I'm arguing that I DIDN'T have a $1,000 bar bill...Barry says, "Hell that was my bill...Signed for it and billed OMC."....

Barry says he rigged this Seebold in Seebold's garage...Then, went out an broke the record...Garbrecht, decide, he'd better OWN Seebold, so, he bought him...and Ended Evinrudes on Seebold Boats...

More pictures of Barry at speed... The color pictures are Havasu!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Barry and Jimbo at Parker...

I'm saying 1979, but don't know for sure...V-6 Evinrude...Scotti hull.

Parker pits...Willpower's cowling......Wil Pergande's and Phil Wagner's Seebold, driven by Lee Sutter and Buck Thornton????

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Barry Woods

Carl, the reference to the Norfolk was actually Portsmouth. Barry, Fred, and Jimbo showed up to race. We were shocked, the OMC team at our local race! They arrived early in the week and we stored their boats in a friend's body shop, giving them access to a secure place to work on the boats. Hell, to us it was like having Petty, Pearson, and Yarborough park their race cars in our garage. Barry's hauler truck sticks in my mind. This was a wonderful weekend marred by the passing of Jimbo's father. I remember all these men as being nice guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Barry Woods

Barry drove the OMC Rotary on this # 35 Scotti...

#35 with the Evinrude is a Seebold, 1975 Eufaula, Alabama..APBA MArathon Nationals, 1str place, Mary Gagen photo and also #35 is Barry with Jimbo chasing him at Miami, 1975 Closed Course Nationals.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Nordica Molinari

Barry had his V-8 Molinari strung out!!!!!!!!!!! 1985

Thread Information