Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barry Woods.. AKA "King Woods"...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Barry Turned 70 Last Month

I think Barry's birthday was the 7th of February. Hard to believe that Barry could be 70. Then again it is hard for me to think of myself as being 68.

I remember Barry driving the Concrete Coring V-8 Evinrude Burgess at Parker, seems it was a 13 mile lap. Barry was laping at 140 MPH average when the transom came out.

Barry walked away with a smile. I always wondered had he lapped at 120 MPH would he have won?????Barry ran "FLAT OUT".......He didn't look back. It was straight ahead, full speed ahead.

Happy belated birthday Barry!

FYI: Barry flys around the world in a $22 million dollar corp jet. Obama may not like corporate jets, but Barry loves them.

Post Thanks / Like

Ron,
    Does Barry Woods visit BRF? I believe this is his old 1972 Scotti. The one he ran at the 1972 Havasu Wold Championship. The rear cowl is not original to the boat.
    I notice that the deck extends past the back of sponsons. Much like the black & white photo of Barry. Is this the same boat?
    Mark Nelson

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Will E-Mail Barry's Wife and I Will Talk to Jimbo!!!

It looks more like Jimbo's and mine Paris boat that John Schubert drove at Parker.....Jimbo told me they filled the "Slots" in the front... Are there any number on the transom? You do know that Barry basivcally owned all the Scotti Boats.....OMC bought them from Barry. He "TIED UP" or "Contracted" Scotti for all his production, so when OMC wanted boats, they had to deal with Barry.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    It looks more like Jimbo's and mine Paris boat that John Schubert drove at Parker.....Jimbo told me they filled the "Slots" in the front... Are there any number on the transom? You do know that Barry basivcally owned all the Scotti Boats.....OMC bought them from Barry. He "TIED UP" or "Contracted" Scotti for all his production, so when OMC wanted boats, they had to deal with Barry.
    Ron,

THe boat that you & Jimbo ran in Paris & I drove at Parker was sent to me by Jack Leek in Florida when I was transferred there by OMC. I had Macdonald fill the slots in his shop at the OMC test station in Naples, raced in only once & JIm Briggs had me ship it on a company truck to Geoff in Long Island. THe number on it was 44, Geoff's number was 3, as was Tim's. Geoff sold it but don't know where it went. If he visits here perhaps he'll respond.

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Scotti In Post #7

If you look at the strakes on the chine of Jakes's boat and the number 35, you can see that the strakes are different, therefore, I don't think these are the same two boats. Somewhere, there is a picture of me driving our 1972 Scotti in Paris. Barry's 1972 Paris Boat was better than Jimbo's and mine, but broke two flywheels we only broke one......and I didn't break any!

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...tti+collection

Two pictures of John Schubert in this boat. Look at how "SQUARE" the chine is at the transom and the low rear cowling. I hope Jake will take a close look and see if the slots were filled in.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 11-10-2012 at 09:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    If you look at the strakes on the chine of Jakes's boat and the number 35, you can see that the strakes are different, therefore, I don't think these are the same two boats. Somewhere, there is a picture of me driving our 1972 Scotti in Paris. Barry's 1972 Paris Boat was better than Jimbo's and mine, but broke two flywheels we only broke one......and I didn't break any!
    here is a picture of me at ParkerAttachment 51143

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Schubert T*A*R*T View Post
    I'll try again but I can't get the "manage attachments" to work
    Go to http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?13076-The-Six-Hours-of-Paris-A-History-Thread/page3&highlight=scotti+collection[/url] post #'s 24 & 25 for a good look at the chine strakes.

Post Thanks / Like

I am finding a little more about the boat pictured above. Supposedly it is the boat Barry ran at the 1972 Lake Havasu race. It has been really hard to find any photos of this boat. I've seen some photos that look close to this boat and one could be the photo of Barry at St. Louis with the rotary. But I'm not sure if the time period is correct. I have found a dark blue under the brushed on house paint on the boat. But it also looks like a brighter blue underneath. Whether these are original colors when Barry owned the boat is hard to tell. Not much paint was left on the boat.
    The cowling is not original to the boat. It is off of one of the Briggs boats.
    But here is the dark blue on one of the combing sides.
    Mark N

Thread Information