Page 1 of 38 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Shots from the pits: Part 2

Post Thanks / Like

Default Random Shots from the pits: Part 2

Random Shots from the pits: Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team
    No---Don't think you are getting off track John. That's a response I hadn't expected, but to the point. I didn't know there was a 125 MPH club. I suspect there were not enough to publish the names. But there should be a reference of all the drivers that have acheived that.

Joe Rome and I were discussing the transition speeds in outboards only a few months earlier and we were recalling our discussions with Tim Butts about the subject. We had definite opinions about transition points with hydros, and I don't know what the transition points were with you OPC guys, but things also start changing around 120. I wonder if anyone out there has a list of the 125+ drivers.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

It is the Evinrude 125 MPH Club. I even got a red Blazer Jacket. Will look for the certificate and send you a post.

Let me say this about speeds......it is not difficult to run better than 140 in a race tunnel,, race not Kilo set-up !! I did just that on each straight away testing 4 hours a day for 5 days on a 36 second track,,, and this was in the limiter at 9600,, hour after hour after hour !!!!

John

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is fascinating John. Got to get off now, but I want to hear about these tests and what it was like. When you look at the billions of people on our planet..........not very many go that fast on water!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Sherlock View Post
    It is the Evinrude 125 MPH Club. I even got a red Blazer Jacket. Will look for the certificate and send you a post.

Let me say this about speeds......it is not difficult to run better than 140 in a race tunnel,, race not Kilo set-up !! I did just that on each straight away testing 4 hours a day for 5 days on a 36 second track,,, and this was in the limiter at 9600,, hour after hour after hour !!!!

John
    125 MPH CLUB ....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

I have a hard time finding info on the internet that I am looking for. I went to the APBA site to see if they had a list of the Evinrude 125 mph Club members, but couldn't find one. They used to have a continuing list of all the drivers that made the 100 mph club in each rule book. Every year they added the drivers that achieved that mark from the previous year. I got in the year after Ron.

I was hoping to see who else was in the VERY exclusive 125 mph club. Would you have that list to scan John, or did they quit publlishing it like they used to? I would think such an accomplishment as that should have some kind of recognition. Any remembrances would be great.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Eric....I was looking for photos of Pete Voss and came across these from Alex 1983. I just kind of figured you might like to take a look.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Wayne! I'm not in any of my pictures, as I was the one usually with the camera. Do you know the situation?

In the first frame, I see Gary setting with Lowell Schumacher, Dan Kirts, Herr Ralph and Pete Hellsten. It's funny, in the back I see Hans with that big Hans grin.

The second shot is nice, but I gotta ask, were shorts like that ever stylish? In my defense, we used BMX pants over top of whatever we were wearing for racing.

Dieter must be puzzled how we have an FA that still went so fast. I started the year with one, but switched to the Yamato RA by the time we ran the Depue USTS event. Gary switched to the RA in 1984. I think it was Bruce Summers that nicknamed us "The A Team", Gary, John Stevens and I all had identical rigs.
    Had I known 1984 was going to be my peak year, I would have tried harder

Post Thanks / Like

Default Others

I also see Malcolm Hardin, Pop Augustine (hand cupped at ear), Scott Smith next to Pop and maybe Gary Augustine with his back to the photographer in foreground.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Berlin& Nottingham

I found these in a file. Steve Litzell driving a 700 on a Danisch in Dieter's canal and Dan amd me in Berlin. The others are at Nottiingham in 1986, I believe. Notice the damage to Steve's boat after he got hit by tunnel boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic Ralph. I'm glad to see you scan and post some pictures. Let's see some more. Are Eric and Steve eating TV dinners in the pits? The Brits should never again complain about us dumping perfectly good tea in Boston Harbor.

Thread Information