Thread: Random Shots from the pits: Part 2

Post Thanks / Like

Larry and I joined Outboard Club of Chicago about the same time 1967-1968. During the early 70's Larry bought the big trailer from Quincy Welding and started to add classes. It seems to me he had engines and boats for nearly every class. Dean Wilson had been running his own stuff, but joined up with Larry in this time period. He did all the heavy lifting for Larry and droved the 1100 Hydro and I think some other class or two. After a few years, Dean got a great job offer on the West coast and left. After that time Joey Barto drove it for Larry, but as I remember it wasn't for very long. When Dean drove the 1100 I started it many times, compared to Larry's 250 engine the 1100 was very easy to start.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Good information Bill. I started about a year before you guys. Wish there was a thread just on the Outboard Club of Chicago with a lot of stories. I think that would be very interesting and I wonder about who all were members over the years.

Back to Gadsden, I have a picture of Larry's wooden map of Illinois. Most people flew flags in their pits to show the state they were from. Larry had a wooden Plaque..

Here are a few more pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    You are right Bill about it being Little John, but you and John are wrong about the hat. It is NOT a cowboy hat. Joe Rome wears a cowboy hat. Little John's is some kind of "bush" hat.

I'm pretty sure that the guy with the Pro Nationals T shirt is Chuck Hall from Minnesota. I didn't quite finish the rest of the photos on that one contact sheet last night, so here is the last of them. A pretty good contact sheet with all these guys. Let's hear you guys finish off the naming. Doing it in two batches.
    Wayne,I believe individual with PRO Nationals T Shirt is John McCorvey of Atlanta. From the results, John earned a 3rd place in 125cc or MOH. Years later,

Post Thanks / Like

10977 & 76 - Phil Howard another super guy. I didn't know until much later, that Phil and his wife Jean other great interest was horse racing.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Bill, Phil and Jean were great people. I didn't know about the horse racing. David, thanks for clearing that up. I never knew John McCorvey, but I knew the name. I'm glad now to know what he looks like. I wasn't totally positive about that photo being Chuck because something was not right. Now all is correct.

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne,

You may be have been right to begin with. I have been informed that John always wore glasses (not just when I have known him). John was at both the Winona Nationals and the lake Gadsen divisional championships. And he sure looked similar to the gentleman in the photo. Regardless, thank you for sharing the memories!

Post Thanks / Like

Who knows David. I don't know what John McCorvey looks like, but the picture wasn't a dead ringer for Chuck Hall. If Jane would have been there, then that would have nailed it, but the hair seemed just a little short. I looked at the rosters and both Chuck and John were at Gadsden AND Winona. Maybe Ralph Donald or Steve Litzell can help us. There is one compelling clue however. It looks like the Grain Belt Pro Nationals T shirt. This was in 1975 and the Pro Nationals were still in the future. So being that the nationals were in Winona, Minnesota and Chuck being from Minnesota he might have been able to get a T shirt ahead of the rest of us.

Post Thanks / Like

A few more from the last contact sheet.

Thanks Jeff Lytle, ClayT thanked for this post
    Likes Jeff Lytle, ClayT, Al Lang, crewman060 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Latch bunch from that roll of film

Thanks Jeff Lytle thanked for this post
    Likes Jeff Lytle, Al Lang, crewman060 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    A few more from the last contact sheet.
    The motor with the pipes and not the megaphones , did the pipes slide?

BTW , Wayne , I still like the black and white photos , just something classic about black and white pictures. Sometimes I think color can distract you from what is important in the picture.

Thread Information