Thread: Random Shots from the pits: Part 2

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A Bob McFarland Story

Bob was a really nice person, although like a lot of other boat racers, he liked to tease you a little if he thought he could get away with it.

One late afternoon in the late 60's, I was calling on some customers in the St. Louis area while still living in KC. I was at Bill Sr's Mercury dealership in Granite city late in the afternoon, and I guess Bob took pity on me, as I was asking about places to have dinner before going back to my motel. He invited me to his house for dinner and said they were having "Hungarian Goulosh". I took him up on the invitation and it was DELICIOUS, and I made a real pig out of myself having three or four helpings. Just before leaving, I asked him for the recipie as I used to do a little cooking back then, and his answer was typical "boat racer speak" He told me I couldn't go wrong if I mixed the ingredients just like you mixed alky and castor oil. "20 to 1" he said, "and you cant go wrong"!!

That was all I ever go out of him, as it was some kind of special dish with a secret family recipie, and I never did get an ingredient list.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Another picture I found in the pile, David Westbrook, not sure about the date or location (sorry Ron)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default It doesn't matter Dave.....

....if you can find the date or place. Long as you keep diggin in the pile and putting them up here.

I'll add that I never saw David with a beard like that. Good shot.

Here's some with a date though Dave. Gadsden, Alabama 1976. Your comments please. I picked some from closer to the East to comment about. I don't know who the chicks are. I took the pic's from a habit going back to the Motorsport days. Judging from the T shirt and trailer shots, they must be boat racers, but I don't know who they are. I have a lot of pics like this, and since boat racing couldn't go on without the women that put up with the men spending money on racing boats, I wanted to recognize their sacrifices to the sport.

CANADIAN PRAIRIES REGION John (Taylor) Gabrowski's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bunch of long hairs, hippies and yuppies back then!

Lots of long hairs back then!! Was cool to see hair flying out of the bottoms and backs of helmets! With girls the leggy look is still in.

Jeeze did Aerowings ever get around! There are still 3 up here including my own.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Back to Valleyfield

This was the final race ever held for the long running John Ward title race. It was held at Valleyfield Quebec, Cananda. The driver's meeting reminded me of racing in Europe. It was mostly, if not all, French. Didn't matter. We all knew what we had to do.

In the first pic it looks like Danny Kirts is frantically trying to spot something that will not disqualify their entry while Jerry Kirts has a worried look. Larry Latta is behind the inspector.

Tim butts is inspecing something on the bottom of our boat while my Dad looks on. There was something going on there, because later on they did some work on the boats.

Pic 3 Fred Hauenstein in the pits working on his boat. "Big George" Andrews boat is pitted next door.

Last Pic. Debbie didn't like the looks of her hair...or something! She ducked when I went to make a boat racing pit shot, so I grabbed her "do rag" and took this pic.

Post Thanks / Like

I have not been able to come up with time lately to post much of anything. I couldn't stand it though to come home and find nothing on the outboard. Before I crash I had to pull out something to post. I planned it to be a random pic, but I opened the binder to the contact sheets I shot of Tim Butts when I did that Powerboat story. The first pic I scanned, Tim's eyes were blinking. I don't have time right now to edit....so I will just go ahead and do this one at Random Shots....

The good thing is that.... when I wrote the story... the negatives I had of Tim's construction room at Romeo, Michigan were too thin to send to Powerboat. I salvaged a couple that I sent for the story, but the rest were not good. With the computer programs of today....I looked at some of the negatives that would not be any good otherwise, but they can be improved enough to post. So the others I will post on the Butts Aerowing thread.
    Last edited by Master Oil Racing Team; 03-28-2009 at 08:43 PM. Reason: too many buts

Post Thanks / Like

Here's some from the Pro Nationals at Winona, Minnesota 1975. I have a bunch of pics of the 75 PRO Nationals since I wasn't racing. I have regretted since then about how many pit shots I could have taken along the way had I spent more time taking pictures when I had the chance.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Blonde On Top!!

Hey ,Wayne enjoy your photo,s at least we know the hair color of that ladie from the top anyways, keep it up.
    RichardKCMo

Post Thanks / Like

Default Alex Ky. 2003

Dale Pigott left David Mason right these two ran in J MOD in 1984/85 Mason pit, Dale in boat Lyle Mason in water.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Apba/noa

Cadiz KY. 1977 PRO. / MOD. North South Championship

Portsmouth Oh. 1971 NOA AMPRO National Championship

Decater AL. 1973 MOD World Championship. M'Call D/E MOD Tunnel, boat ran very well an did win a Championship or two.

Thread Information