Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Shots from the pits: Part 2

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Neither fish nor fowl

Since it's a poster I figured it belonged here but it's also a racing picture so it could be "where the action is". I'm guessing early 60's and the far boat is Dave Augustine Sr (51-E).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Bill,
    Just so you don't feel like the Lone Ranger, I had the same sizing problem and I have no idea what Sam was talking about.
    See you at DePue.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default GENE EAST / sizing problem

Gene:

It is my understanding from all our contemporaries that a "sizing problem" is common in our age group. I don't know there is a lot that can be done.

Bill

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Gene---I'm gonna follow your lead and say to Bill---I have no idea what you're talkin' about......

Post Thanks / Like

Default Neither fish or fowl

Dave that poster really brings back memories. This is where I ran and won my first race 4th of July weekend 1957. It's also where I totaled my SJ rig and ended my career in '73.
    Howard and Robert Swann were great fans and promotors of boat racing in general and The Southern Maryland Boat Club in particular. Both are gone along with the store and hotel. Now it's either condos or rental units on the property.
    I remember that poster. At the time I had moved to the DC area and visited So. Md. on the weekends. I didn't attend the race, but listened to it on WPTX and was surprised to hear some of the local guys were racing in classes that would later become OPC. The year would have been 1962 or 63.
    LOts of good memories from that location. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

That's why it's a good thing for boat racers to be pack rats. Thanks for posting the flyer Dave, and to you Beale for some history behind the race site. Do you know how many years races were held there?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Swann's

We started racing there in July 1957 and when I moved from Maryland in '78 it was still going strong. Maybe Ray Lumpkin can answer when the last race was held there.
    From '57 - '64 we were racing what was to become OPC without APBA sanction. Beginning in '65 all races were sanctioned. The Southern Maryland Boat Club had a race almost every other weekend from April through October. Some of the other sites were Abell's Wharf, Leonardtown Wharf, Clark's Landing, Captain Sam's, Solomon's Island, Benedict Pier, Raley's at Wynn, Sweden's Point, sure I left someplace out. All of these locations were within 2 hours of each other.
    SMBC members managed to set records, win championships and win were ever we traveled.
    At the Calcutta the night before Lake Havesue (spelling?) Bill Downard from Checkmate came over to me and asked if the driver we brought to the race, Bobby Taylor, was as crazy as most of the other Maryland racers. This I took as a complient. Bill must have believed me, he was the high bidder and Bobby lead the class until his steering shaft broke. He brought the boat to the pits by pulling the cables on both sides of the boat We made repairs with what we had and in a short time he was back to the front of the pack. Shaft broke again and we had a wet, cold driver with a broken boat.
    These were great times in a great place with great people.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info Beale. Is there any one particular incident or race that stands out in your memory from those days?

Post Thanks / Like

Wow....that last post was a long time back. I always liked this thread because of the pit shots and it has been too long so here's one to get it going again. Who are these guys?

Post Thanks / Like

And this pair?

Thread Information