Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Anyone Recognize this?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone Recognize this?

Just a little thing I have hanging around
    Ric Carpenter

My Father was Bill Carpenter Founder of Muskegon OutBoard Specialties / Carpenter Corp /

Medallion Instruments

Engine Merc 1500XS
    Prop Mi Wheel Trophy series 14 x 25
    Switzer craft Hull 1976-1980 unsure of date

Second photo are some of the Medallion Prototype Instruments of the era
    (1978-1980)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drdiode54 View Post
    Just a little thing I have hanging around
    Ric Carpenter

My Father was Bill Carpenter Founder of Muskegon OutBoard Specialties / Carpenter Corp /

Medallion Instruments

Engine Merc 1500XS
    Prop Mi Wheel Trophy series 14 x 25
    Switzer craft Hull 1976-1980 unsure of date

Last 2 digits of the V.I.N. is the year.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Are you looking to sell?

Do you have a price in mind?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Not Planning on selling just getting info about it a bit

Post Thanks / Like

Let me ask you this. Does the nose of the boat have a smooth transition all the way around, or is there very slight point, sort of a divide at the apex where you can see a line? And does the bottom have a half football set back into the transom, or is there a step shelf cut 9" back into the bottom?

The paint scheme is copper-bronze with the white inlay and is what was called the Whip-De-Doo. That boat really looked great with teak side rails and no windshield.

Super Sports were made from late 1969, with a flat transom, and evolved from what was called the Playboy. The Super Sport evolved into the winged back like yours around about 1972.

The best years, in my opinion were from 1972 through 1975, those were the years that Bill was the mold man and Howie was the painter. They left to form Burton's Bridge Marine in Burton's Brige, Illinois. 1977 brought a new twist to the SS models, it became the 175 to accomodate the V-6 OMC engines and the extra weight they imposed on the hull. The 175's were never or ever will be what the SS's were....When the GL-20's came out, that is what really should have been used on a V-6.

Both designs had one critical flaw. The wood in the transoms would crack in half after 5 years of pushing from the motor. Typically, you would have to remove the Switzer signature rubber trim rail by drilling the rivets out, then running a Sawsall between the deck and the bottom halves. The boat will pull apart then and you can work the transom as needed.

If you have a pre 77 model, I would be very interested in purchasing it from you. I have just the motor sitting in my storage crate waiting to push it...4 cylinders, painted orange and black....That Super Sport was the most fun boat I ever owned. Enjoy it, you are a very lucky person indeed

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Info

Still haven't pulled the cover to see the Vin...I'll do that this weekend maybe

as far as the Hull goes...it has the step shelf cut in

Thanks for the info!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skoontz View Post
    Let me ask you this. Does the nose of the boat have a smooth transition all the way around, or is there very slight point, sort of a divide at the apex where you can see a line? And does the bottom have a half football set back into the transom, or is there a step shelf cut 9" back into the bottom?

The paint scheme is copper-bronze with the white inlay and is what was called the Whip-De-Doo. That boat really looked great with teak side rails and no windshield.

Super Sports were made from late 1969, with a flat transom, and evolved from what was called the Playboy. The Super Sport evolved into the winged back like yours around about 1972.

The best years, in my opinion were from 1972 through 1975, those were the years that Bill was the mold man and Howie was the painter. They left to form Burton's Bridge Marine in Burton's Brige, Illinois. 1977 brought a new twist to the SS models, it became the 175 to accomodate the V-6 OMC engines and the extra weight they imposed on the hull. The 175's were never or ever will be what the SS's were....When the GL-20's came out, that is what really should have been used on a V-6.

Both designs had one critical flaw. The wood in the transoms would crack in half after 5 years of pushing from the motor. Typically, you would have to remove the Switzer signature rubber trim rail by drilling the rivets out, then running a Sawsall between the deck and the bottom halves. The boat will pull apart then and you can work the transom as needed.

If you have a pre 77 model, I would be very interested in purchasing it from you. I have just the motor sitting in my storage crate waiting to push it...4 cylinders, painted orange and black....That Super Sport was the most fun boat I ever owned. Enjoy it, you are a very lucky person indeed
    Do you have a Stinger GP? If so, post some pictures!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Nope...

No Stinger GP just this

Thread Information