Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What Does "MOD-VP" Mean? Evolution/History Lesson

Post Thanks / Like

If you look back to my first post / photo..that's me (red had) and my late brother (Bruce) next to me (2 blue shirts), we just changed to a longer tuner (using the Mercury Racing hoist) after Johnny C had an awesome Saturday...Kim Howard "insisted" that the tuner we were running was too short. Never discount that man's word! That was also the days when Mercury Racing would give "special" poeple "special" ECU's... we all know the rest.

Shortly after that picture was taken (it was getting late on Saturday evening), Mike Seebold "ripped" into the pits in a black Porche Carrerra (tail wing) stopped, then nailed it and literally popped a wheely - stopped at the Merc trailer and jumped out of the car and said "what up boys". He was on his way out to knock the town down. If I I remember correctly he won on Sunday!
    Last edited by march3stv; 12-05-2004 at 06:31 AM.
    Scott March

Rocket

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by march3stv
    Rocket - That's my point...Mod VP was a class prior to the modified V hulls (air entrapment tunnels)...it started as V bottom class with modified motors...spin-off from VP. The Eliminator Daytona 19 (jet hull) changed everything!

Ahhhhhh Thanks! I've been on this forum for 1/2 a day and I already learned something! Now I'm informed!

Thanks for the forums, Ron!
    Last edited by Rocket; 12-04-2004 at 01:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by march3stv
    Heres another - 1988 St. Louis

Right to left...
    Ron Hill
    Myself
    John Castelli (driver)

Don't know the names of the other guys...hell it was 16 years ago...

The guy in the white hat is Mike Basso, Sr. (The west coast Tohatsu distributor back in the late 80's - Sport C heyday). Cant think of his company's name right now....

Post Thanks / Like

One of the earliest Mod-VP's....

Fred Bowden, Havasu 1982
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Default Where's the picture....?

Western Engine Distributors...Thye did $8,000,000 a year in VOLVO parts, when the got theTohatsu Distributorship.....I told them we should race those things... Mike Basso Sr. worked at Western Engine, he was a big promoter of the Mini Boats...

He and his son Mike Basso Jr, own Sun Country Marine in Ontario...The sell...well boats....largest dealer of not Monterey's, not Sea Ray...Anyway, they've done well since the Western Engine days!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Basso is in the picture in Post #3

This one:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fred

That's got to be one of last the times Fred ran an OMC in Mod VP...1983 St. Louis, he ran a Merc 2.4/Witchcaft...

Then the Merc/Stokers....
    Scott March

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1983 St. Louis - Baker RST

Al and John towed the first Baker RST (Rally sport Tunnel) to St. Louis fresh out of the mold...barely in solid form (1981). We brought a **** load of props to the race and Al tested and finally ran one of them, (actually a Hill prop...imagine that!) and he won the "Powerboat Radar Shootout!". One of our good friends, Lonnie Hoke (Marine Engineering - Hydraulic lifts and set-backs), put his hand deep in his pocket Sunday night after Al then won the Powerboat shootout finals on Sunday and hooked it to to back of his motorhome and to Iowa it went...That was a great weekend!
    Last edited by march3stv; 12-24-2004 at 09:39 PM.
    Scott March

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1983 Havasu

Hey Chad,

Do you remember this year? Bruce (my brother) and I kept screwing with you (all good fun) all weekend...you would get pissed at and sit at the edge of the water and just throw stones into the lake...you were a "toe-head" (white hair!). I think you were about 6 then...

That was the year of the 20' Lavey with the V8 - ran Champ boat - pretty funny! I remember the fuel stop (Nascar style) that year because the water was unseasonable cold (Turkey weekend) and everyone was bitching about goin in waste high when Castelli came in for fuel...no offense Ron, but I recall looking back from the water and seeing you tying down your "Hill Marine" helium blimps / balloons...I was thinking this guy has a priority issue...HaHa!

Kim Howard (Sleek/Merc) won Mod VP that year...hangn' it high as kite...and he also won just about every other race that year...that was fun to watch!
    Last edited by march3stv; 12-05-2004 at 08:07 AM.
    Scott March

Post Thanks / Like

Default My feet weren't wet...

I delegate!!! My job was NOT to fuel!!!! (Especially in cold water)...I'm delicate!!!

Thread Information