Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What Does "MOD-VP" Mean? Evolution/History Lesson

Post Thanks / Like

Default How About Just Pro Stock?

Mod VP bottoms would be legal....

Found out an intersting thing, today...actually GREG FOSTER figured it out...But I have the broach for Fat Shafts....so, I can make my own Fat Shaft inserts....

How about posting the Forumla 150 Rules here????

PRO STOCK has a ring to it!!!!!!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pro Stock

The car drag racers started it, as ya'll probably know, as a class to run carbed motors, in what appears to be stock cars (" door slammers" & yes the doors have to work. ) & 500 ci motors. After that the sky's the limit. the crowds eat them up. They are FAST and everybody has thier favorites.
    Now, if you apply that appeal to boats, well I believe you have a winner!
    Be them v-bottoms, tunnels, air entrapment, etc. Must be a production model type, with a cell ( safety first ), so that people can identify with them.
    Take your OMC, Yamaha, Suzuki, Mercury, powerhead and drop it on what ever center section you want, whatever gearcase you want and go for it. I would suggest a minimum wieght comparible to what the Mod VP's were, just to even it up. Your not going to have to contend with fuel injection or exotic parts or one-off hulls. Just good fun with a bunch of great stuff.
    Just look at all the fun the boat Drag Racers are having! Have you seen the way the guys launch the boats at the lights? That's impressive!
    PRO STOCK, I think it's the start of something great.
    M.R.Bowen

Post Thanks / Like

Mod-VP once had a rule that the boat must be a "production" hull and have seating for 5. When capsules were mandated, the manufacturers didn't change the boats (they still left the mandatory space for 5 seats), they only added a "bolt-in" capsule. It worked great: The boats were safer and still looked like the ski boats everyone could relate to.

For some reason that rule was changed and the "seating for five" rule was eliminated. I can't remember how that occurred, but it didn't take long before all the Mod-VP's were decked over like a Champ boat.

When teams would update and buy the new decked-over boats, they simply unbolted the capsule of their old boats, put in upholstered seating and turned the hulls back into ski boats. These retrofitted ski boats were always hot sellers on the ski boat market.

When Mod-VP completely went away, the decked over boats became obsolete. The hull wouldn't fit in any other class and they were usually too heavy for drag racing. So some guys brought their decked over Mod-VPs to our shop and we cut off the capsule deck and replaced it with a standard Ski deck and standard seating for resale purposes. But of course, this transformation was far more expensive than just unbolting a capsule from a production hull.

It's funny, but sometimes we'll hear from people who have seen one of our old "bolt-in" capsule Mod-VP's for the first time, and think this is a great new idea. They don't realize that it's a very OLD boat, and was how capsuled Mod-VP started way back when.

Post Thanks / Like

Question F150 Rules?

What are the F150 rules? I already have an f150 but I don't think it's gonna float at all...

Russ Rogers
    Russ Rogers
    Fort Worth (Hell's Half Acre), TX

http://www.caldwellracingtechnology.com/

Post Thanks / Like

You can find quite a bit about the OPC classes here:

http://apba-racing.com/Categories/OPC/index.html

You may run into empty files. Any attached pdf and image files were lost during the server change a few months ago. The webmaster is very busy completing HQ-linked databases and it will be a while yet before he can repair the missing files on the website.

ADD:
    I just tried it - the Formula 150 class rules was one of those files.

But on the class page, this is what it says:

Formula 150
    Is a class designed to keep the cost of racing down. This powerful V-6 class uses engines built from bone yard parts. It requires 2.5 liter stock blocks and can produce 250 hp. More powerful than an SST 120 and much less expensive than Champ boats this tunnel class can really rip. The powerful engine make older SST 120 boats feel pretty darn powerful. Great class for drivers/owners that like to tinker.
    Last edited by Miss BK; 03-22-2005 at 09:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default OK cool.... So what about

stuff like fuel requirements? ODBA has a fuel supplier that provides us our fuel\oil at a discounted price. We guarantee a certain volume of fuel sold per year so it works out good for all involved.

If you sell only 93 octane fuel it will limit compression and keep costs down.

Keep EFI out of the mix and it will be much easier to tech. Carbs are a much better alternative.

This class could be fun... cheap(relatively) and not too God Awful fast...

Thanks BK... I'll keep an eye out for that info on the site...

Russ Rogers
    Russ Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drag and Marathon???

Is there a class now in Outboard Drag that fits these rules?

What if, we only required "SAME FUEL" for Drags? If we ran Series races...say 40 second courses...with 2 fifteen laps qualifiers and one thirty lap main...(That would be our basic Floor Plan) and Once a year run a serious 300....

Everyone I talk to quit boat racing for the same reasons: Too fast. Too expensive... I believe the too fast part....

How fast would this Pro Stock go with the propshaft 3" below the bottom? Or 2"? Lower transom height, slow speeds, improve handling and increases life of equipment...Or, would you rather restrict the carb size and run the propshaft where you want it...

90 MPH, is fast enough!!!!

Why couldn't we race three or four at a time in Drags...? As, when we get this started, at least out west, time at race sites is tough...(Can't take two hours to run 12 boats....

My capsule mold is open to anyone who wishes to use it...at no charge....It was Rick Hoffman's Formula One mold...

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Drags and OPC Classes....

The closest thing to F150 rules is DSRA Super Stock. Stock powerheads, no metal removal, no balancing, stock carbs only..... This class drew over 20 entries per race last year and is expected to get close to 30 boats per race this year....

The participation is good and the speeds are in the low 90's through the 1/4 mile.

Fuel is a big consideration as there is power to be gained by additives. Luckily there is testing equipment that can find nearly all of it when the right tester is running the testing procedure. I did it last year for ODBA.

The rules for DSRA SS are found at www.dsraonline.com.

1. Boats: Any production hull. No true tunnels or hydroplane type hulls.

2. Fuel: 93 Octane Pump Gas
    Must use spec fuel and oil purchased at the race site only. No fuel or oil additives allowed.

3. No engines from Mercury High Performance.

4. No Mercury ProMax or OMC HO blocks allowed.

5. Carbureted engines only. Must be OEM carburetors and intakes. Three carb set ups. ** No modifications on carbs.

6. EFI or carbureted blocks are accepted as long as carbs. Are used.

7. 10 pedal front halves only, except as noted below

8. 14 pedal allowed on non-fingerported 2.4 liter produced around 1981-1982. Engine must be stock and use the stock head.

9. (Merc 2.5) number on front half and block must match. No miss matched units.

10. New Style motors with taller decked blocks with o-ring heads allowed.

11. No 1991 model 14 pedal blocks allowed.

12. Exterior appearance and dimensions of intake must retain OEM dimensions and appearence. Internal passages may be modified. (ported, cross drilled, etc.)

13. No metal removal or any internal cylinder block modifications allowed. No porting, polishing, feathering. No piston, rod, wrist pin, sealing ring, or crank modifications. No balancing or blueprinting.

14. Any mid sections 15” in length or longer allowed.

15. exhaust plates and tuners may be modified.

14. Stock 15 or 40 amp electrics allowed on mercs. Stock electrics on all other motors.

16. No detonation modules or timing boxes.

17. Any style engine cowls allowed.

18. Pistons must be OEM or aftermarket made to OEM specs. No High Perf pistons allowed.

19. NO aluminum flywheels allowed. Must be factory flywheel with no modifications. 15 amp electrics are allowed by using a small steel 2.4 flywheel on 2.5 engines.

20. No small gear cases.

21. 1:87 or 2:1 gears allowed.

22. Gear cases must have functional forward, neutral and reverse and be shift able from the driver’s seat. After market nosecones with low water pickups allowed.

23. After market composite reeds allowed all motors. OEM reed cages for like motor only, no modifications to reed cages allowed.

24. No nitrous oxide allowed.

25. Pyrometers allowed.

26. Standard ½ inch reach spark plugs only. Any heat range, style tip or brand allowed.

27. Oil injection and mechanical fuel pumps may be removed and blocked off. Carbureted motors may use in the boat electric fuel pumps and after market adjustable fuel regulators.

28. Heads: 142 cubic in. 2.4 litre casting #15221, 37 cc minimum. No Metal removal. 153 cubic in. 2.5 litre casting #18488, 38 cc minimum. 42 cc head with same casting # may be cut to 38 cc minimum. Standard gasket: part #27-822844 must be used. O-Ring head 39 cc minimum. Older 14 Pedal non-finger port 2.4 must use stock heads with no metal removal.

29. 2.5 Mercury sleeves must be factory. No after market sleeves.

30. Aftermarket Sleeves allowed with a max of 2 per motor. They have to match the remaining sleeves in motor.

31. High Perf rod bolts allowed as long as they are heavier than the bolts they replace. Rod caps may not be clearenced for the bolts.

32. High Perf metal cage rod bearings allowed as long as they are heavier than the bearings they replace

33. All engines must use the original number of piston rings in the original location. No one ring motors allowed.

34. OMC engines may use the 200/225 HP 3.0 liter standard block or fict block only. No HO blocks allowed.

35. Sloush baffles allowed only in OEM OMC plastic body Carbs.

CLASS GOAL: Race boats at entry level cost, with close competition.
    Russ Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

Cool More suggestions...

Quote Originally Posted by RonHill
    How fast would this Pro Stock go with the propshaft 3" below the bottom? Or 2"? Lower transom height, slow speeds, improve handling and increases life of equipment...Or, would you rather restrict the carb size and run the propshaft where you want it...

90 MPH, is fast enough!!!!
    I would leave the engine hight up to the set-up guys with a rule that cooling water has to be picked up by the gearcase. Mandate Stock bore carbs. Allow mods such as jetting, slosh tubes, velocity stacks but no changing of the butterflies and no increase of the bore size. That's limit the mods and the speeds and still give the set-up guys some room to tinker...

Also... 90mph in a STV\Mirage\Allison\Eliminator is not too big a deal and would be easliy done with the power of the engine package being discussed.
    The strong tuners and set-up guys are going to be close to 100 with just a little development. Especially if any compression is given. Keep it under 140#'s or the power will push these boats into the 100mph range right quick...
    Last edited by Rusrog; 03-22-2005 at 01:50 PM.
    Russ Rogers

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pro Stock

I agree with Russ. Leave the transom hieght to choice, but limit to stock carb. This is easily checked in inspection. Can also limit by what is available as replacement parts, ie: cyl heads. Compression is then limited near stock levels. I will agree with full shift gearcases, but can be of any manufacture, ie: run a sportmaster on a Yamaha. Wieght would also be a way of limiting speed potential. Make the wieght control the speed.
    Just my 2 cents worth.
    M.R.Bowen

Thread Information