Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What Does "MOD-VP" Mean? Evolution/History Lesson

Post Thanks / Like

Default I have a question

We have the ability to weigh in at 1250- with the driver. Mod VP wieght was 1500? Do you think I would put 250 in to make weight. Or more to make whatever weight you guys deceide?

Weight controls speed, of course.

Probably dont' remember what happed to Joe Burges in Stl when he was testing King Farout's (sp) tunnel with a steel plate in the boat.

I was there.

Welcome all replies
    Last edited by Ted March; 03-22-2005 at 07:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default And where

are you going to find these boats Someone's back yard, cool. MOD VP
    ended 20 years age + or -. MOst of them are rotted. So what do we have.

The guys who have saved them and they are the guys who won't run them, cause they are teasures.

So what do we have?

A guy named Ronnie had a Viper, Put an ss3000 on it and was never beat.
    Until the boat came a part. He was hurt. And has recovered.

Sounds like fun to me.
    Last edited by Ted March; 03-22-2005 at 07:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Garden State???

Is that what they call JERSEY....I thoought it was "THE YOUS GUYS" State....Them JURSEY GUYS would always ask, "Hows come yous guys fromCalifronia talk wid an accent?"

Anyway, Jersey or New York...those area racers were something else at Pit Stops. At Parker, I'd always go down at watch Muscle Boats and Fred Hartman's pit stops...Always about ten to twelve guys running around giving orders...nobody working....but they were fun.. I loan Freddy Hartman a prop, at a pit stop, the next year he asked what I charged for a cleaver, I said "$500." He held up this cleaver and said, "You want the prop back of the money?" I asked where he got it...He said at a pit stop last year...

MOD VP was fun...20 years ago..damn...

Motor questions:

1. Why no grinding...? Marathons have away of sorting out engines that will last...If we ran Drags and Circles/Marathons at the same race (s)... I FEEL, that CARBS will tend to make things equal.

2. In Formula 150, what are their head rules??? OPC has gon to measuring the top of the piston and head chamber depth...seems easy to measure from an inspectors point of view....

3. Long reach plugs??? What do you see as the problem, a little carbon and whne you pull a plug you lose the threads in the head?? 1/2 plugs is OK with me...

4. 38 CC sounds like a ton of CC's...we ran a carb 2.5 steel sleeves, Molly pistons, and 26 CC, CARB...ran great and faster than 2.5 with rev limiters on number 4's...

I like to balance pistons, rods and cranks. The motors may not be faster but are more fun to run....smooth ride for the driver...

Boats;

1. Foster (Greg) suggests we put a bar between the pickle forks, so they won't SPEAR SOMEONE....rather than make the forks "BREAKAWAY"..

2. What did Ted say for weight 1250??? I think this weight would be easy...for roundy rounds and drags...

ADD: 2006 Motors...Do your best....no rules on them, except STOCk and we'd let the 250 run!!!

Well.....Let's see, I now have three complete 45 rigs, 9 15 HP Johnson and Evinrudes...and I'm working on 36 Runabout...If, i could only get brakes on my wife's car, i MIGHT tell her, I'm going to Vegas to pick up some more stuff!!!!

I may need a tent and 8 car garage!!!.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Why

are you asking me these questions.

Where are you going to find the boats?

Unless you buy new ones...or buy a mold?

Those guys from LI are crazy and I know and love most of them.

They are winners!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm not asking anyone..

Not really asking anyone. Seems, we need to get the class off the ground...but some rules would help.....as I really don't want "BIG BROTHER" making the rules ....

You, Ted, know a ton about Drags and Mod VP....can a "MARRIAGE" be made between these two??? Or do we always have to be seperate???
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 03-22-2005 at 08:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

(Moved from another thread)

I still had these on my PC for some reason. I didn't realize I did.

These are the Formula 150 rules for 2004 --- Not sure if any rules changed for 2005 - You'd have to contact OPC chair Mike Weinandt. The Tabara's would probably know too.

2004 Formula 150 Technical Standards

Max. Total Cu. In.Displacement 165 (2.7L)
    Minimum Boat Length 16'
    Boat Weight 1050 Lbs.
    Minimum Age Requirements 18

Total Cu. Ft. of Foam in Boat, Including Cockpit 8.0 CF

Cu. Ft. of Foam in Reinforced Cockpit Structure, If So Equipped 4.5 CF

Formula 150 Boat Standards (see also Rule 18)

(1) Any design of boat including bottom, deck, cockpit openings and seating arrangements shall be permissible so far as boat meets minimum length.
    (2) Power trim and/or adjustable spoilers shall be allowed in Formula 150.

Formula 150 Motor Standards

(1) Engines for Formula 150 class are as follows.
    (2) Standard factory production models of any manufacture may enter F-150.
    (3) All cowlings and engine graphics shall be essentially the same as OEM for product identity and may be either OEM or after market manufacture.
    (4) All engines must be carbureted with original manufactures carburetors.
    (5) 12 or 24 volt starting system is permitted.
    (6) Engines may substitute up to 6 sleeves of any manufacture as long as original port specs are maintained.
    (7) Iron liners engines will be allowed up to .030 over bore for repair.
    (8) Reed pedals may be of any design and or material.
    (9) All engines may use after market (non-OEM) pistons, rings, bearings, gaskets and ignition parts.
    (10) Any Gearcase, Midsection, Cowling and transom/trim assemblies are legal.
    (11) Exhaust stacks must be contained within the driveshaft housing.
    (12) Engine parts must be of original Manufacturer. No intermix of
    different manufacturers parts.
    (13) 100ci engines permitted with any modification except open stacks.

F-150 Page 2
    Mercury
    (a) Standard factory production 2.5L engines may be run with no modification to the block or ports. No grinding or additional machining.
    (b) Any Mercury Connecting rod may be used in any model Mercury engine.
    (c) 2.5 production blocks may use any tuner.
    (d) No S3000 or 2.5L Nikasil Race blocks allowed.
    2.5L production blocks require heads of 30 cc volume minimum. Flat plate measurement with surface gap plug.
    (e) 2.4L Bridgeport or Oval-port blocks may be used.
    1 4 or 5 pedal OEM reed blocks only.
    2 Carb venture of 1.312” maximum.
    3 Modified Oval port blocks may use any tuner and head.
    4 Modified Bridgeport block must use the stock Tuner and heads for the model.
    5 Stock Bridgeport may use a head of 26cc min. and any exhaust tuner`
    2.0L Oval port SST 120 type blocks with cast in iron liners may be modified in any way.
    1 Any reed block assembly.
    2 Any Carb venture.
    3 Any exhaust tuner.
    4 Any head volume.
    (f) Pre 1989 2.0L Oval-port Champ blocks may be modified and used with:
    1 Any reed block assembly
    2 Carb venture of 1.312” maximum
    3 Any exhaust tuner.
    4 2.0L head volume 21cc minimum(flat plate).
    (h) 2.0L Bridgeport Champ block may be modified and used with:
    1 4 or 5 pedal OEM reed blocks only.
    2 Carb venture of 1.312” max.
    3 Stock SST 120/140 long exhaust tuner.
    4 2.0L head volume 21cc minimum(flat plate).

OMC
    (a) OMC SST 100 engines may be modified.
    (b) OMC engines, may run 165 cubic inch displacement but must maintain stock block, porting and heads. No alterations to these above mentioned components. No grinding or additional machining. No V-8 blocks.

YAMAHA, ETC.
    May run 158.4 cubic inch displacement engines but must maintain stock block porting and heads. No alterations to these above mentioned components. No grinding or machining.

Suzuki
    May run 164 cubic inch displacement engines but must maintain stock block porting and heads. No alterations to these above mentioned components. No grinding or machining.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Maybe..

If you remember, I never could back up my motor home..and I always said, "Tomorrow, I'd get organized>" I didn't notice the Forum you posted..but I moved my reply..

Hey, from what I've seen 2.0 and 2.4 could really do anything they want..

I like the NO S-3000 or racing blocks...as there are V-6 2.5 fishing blocks all over this country for the price of aluminum..or close to it...

Full shifting, of course for Pro Stock...

Why not mix match? What is wrong with a Yamaha on a Mercury gearcase???

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ted,
    I was not suggesting to add any type of unsafe weight attachment to the boat. Was merely suggesting that a minimum wieght would go along to keep the speed within limits. I remember Joe very well, along with a lot of others. I was not suggesting to do what Ronnie did, nor am I endorsing the high speed runs that could have ended in tragity, recently. The speeds that they were running, without a capsule, should scare anyone with common sense. It was only by the Grace of God, that something worse didn't happen.
    Safety is the first consideration in anything racing.
    That said:
    The beauty of the F-150 format is the ability to use exsisting equipment to continue racing on a budget. The cost out-lay would be, as is the case with the tunnel boats, would be within reason. That's why the class is a successful combination. There is no reason not to use your "skiboats" powerhead, your cousin's gearcase, your brothers center section, and borrow one of Mr.Hill's props. Gather up the parts & put them together.
    Put a Yamaha on a OMC, OMC on a Merc, Merc on a Yamaha. What ever combination works for you. Bolt it to a properly prepared boat ( in good condition, with a capsule ) and go for it.
    Keep the rules simple. Keep them effective, and enforced. Keep them simple so that they can't be misinterpted, or bent. In other words, make them clear, and make it clear that they will be enforced.
    There is no reason why the Drag racers amongst us can't compete in this class either. It gives more opportunity for racers to race their boats, which is why you have a raceboat to begin with. Simple.
    I like the idea of multi event races. For example:Imagine a Prostock weekend.
    You have drag races on Sat., and accumulate points. Sun. you have 10 lap quailifiers, followed by a 25 lap final. accumulate more points.The most points wins the weekend Champ, but you still have a chance to claim wins in any individual race. Bragging rights only, yes, but still a win. Overall Champ gets the T-shirt & his/her picture in the "Prostock News". Goes back to fish'n on Monday. Tuesday, he has to give the prop back to Mr.Hill,.... maybe.
    M.R.Bowen

Post Thanks / Like

Default We're Work On It..

John Rinker has opened a shop called Famous Craft II, dedicated to building race boats. He's in Texas, but when he returns, we'll talk. I talked to the plant manager today, his name is Ed. Seems to think John wants to promote Boat Racing with some new concepts...at $3.00 a gallon gas, maybe racing close to home and with smaller boats may come back in style, I still have some Bell Bottom pants I was hoping would come back....

Maybe a "FAMILY" of One Designs from John would work:

Formula 15

Formula 60

Formula 100

Pro Stock

Family, Friends and Sport...not big rigs, professionalism, and dog eat dog...

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default whats Mod-VP

Mod-VP stands for Modified V Production it started as V Production before the tunnels came out with a center pod or pad lower than the out side sponsons classifieing it as a V so it was called a modified V.- Production meaning a hull that can be bought on a showroom floor or from a dealer to the public.

Thread Information